2018 Iowa Morels

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Jan 31, 2018.

1. IAborn&raised

IAborn&raised Morel Enthusiast

Found about 20 small grays in NE Iowa yesterday. Rained a lot today and cooled down some. Under growth is still pretty short. Looks like it' just getting started here. Next couple of weeks ought to be good. No blondes yet, think we are just getting started

1 person likes this.
  2. Jones co. morel hunter

Jones co. morel hunter Morel Enthusiast

went out thursday and found small to medium greys and a few 2-3 inch yellows south of hwy 30

3. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

But the altitude is what gets them either really low laying spots or really high up there

4. Mush head61

Mush head61 Morel Enthusiast

Where can I find some with out walking steep banks tore my acl a little and dam it hurts haven't found nothing cause I showed a spot and my brother in law got to it before I did I just need to catch him in the woods I don't know what will happen but 1 thing I will never tell a spot again at my age I should have been a lot smarter but you think he would give you some am going in the rain tomarrow maybe I'll find a few

5. Mush head61

Maybe go road hunting I have found them in ditches just like hunting peasants in the fall

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  6. Mush head61

7. IAborn&raised

IAborn&raised Morel Enthusiast

All the
    All the grays I found were high tops of hill south side. Still early up here

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

welcome Hawkeye, I drove right past Wilson's today on a long trip to frustration. Everything looked right: blooming lilacs, leaves, undergrowth, dead elm and cut cottons. Only found 34 morels, duh. My son once told me when he was little my super power was finding morels, well someone stuck some kryptonite in my car today. I would have bet some big bucks I was going to at least pick #5 today. thanks for the tip should have stopped there and saved over a 100 miles. Maybe early? No idea. " Morel hunting involves some self induced misery if you really want to find the mother load" So re-aim and fire again tomorrow. Welcome back also the new SE. You are right on that, the hills are killing me. My best day was a place you just described, heck they were even floating in the pools. Hope you guys pick boxes full.

9. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

SE,

I went by SWI Shroom Master back in the day, and I remember that old forum. Maven posted from S City as I recall and hunted western Iowa from border to border pretty hard. He always had good info to share. I’ve had a bad year but am taking it in stride in the hope next year will be a good bounceback season for me. Cheers!

SEIowacker and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

Yeah ditches are the best two people travel and spore mass spreaksnive found pounds in ditches. Score one of my favorite spots is a ditch in rosendale Missouri actually haha

11. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

Good to see you guys are still getting out there,im 59 now and them hills seem to get bigger and more thorn infested every year.The river bottoms are much more easy walking.
    Good luck guys.

1 person likes this.
  12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SE. well i will catch you in July age wise. And you are right the hills are getting taller I think. Found a pound of good yellows today on elms in the hills, but 80 and humid finally made me say uncle. I have sweat more this season than any in memory. SW, mother nature sure is making me work this year. Walked 5 miles of hills for that pound. I hope the better moisture north of HW 20 helps out, next year is to far away.

1 person likes this.
  13. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I'll catch you guys in October (if the vultures are just teasing). Went to public space in Johnson County this afternoon. The woods had already been beat to hell. Even a mile deep in from the road, it truly looked like someone had taken a weed-whacker out there--seriously shredded in places. Of course, such disturbance tells of the frenzied excitement of someone having found something there. Remnants missed by others totalled 75, most on gently sloping west or north-facing. Road hunting tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.

1 person likes this.
  14. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

took fri. off and road tripped west IA, nw counties have had lots of rain and riverbottoms are flooded. s city area looks pretty good, didnt spend enough time there, and should have, lilacs are new blossoms. went south from there and looks likes thin gs are about done due to lac of moistire
    thinking about going to ne iowa next weekend to try and salvage the season

Stacy Gruis likes this.
  15. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

My 2 sons found 21 lbs in the bottoms late in the afternoon today.At least 90% were fresh.I got to get out tomorrow and look some more.
    Good luck guys.

2 people like this.
  16. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

Snagged about 2 lbs in an hour south of Sioux City today. All yellows. Some starting to dry on the tips.

Attached Files:

17. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

Oh and happened to put them on top of a 14 oz ribeye

HawkeyeMerkels and IAborn&raised like this.
  18. David Crawford

David Crawford Young Morel

Friday they were getting small morels at Big Creek Lake in Polk City

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  19. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Central Iowa finally kicked in. 2-4 pounds a day since Wednesday. 49 this morning but all big 4-6 inch whites. 2.9 pounds in hour fifteen. This good rain should keep them popping. Strange year but turning out fine with me

20. Jones co. morel hunter

Jones co. morel hunter Morel Enthusiast

like wise in eastern ia yellows this am and nice greys also