2018 Iowa Morels

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Jan 31, 2018.

1. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

The wife and i got about 3 hours in before the rain came,we aint much good for any more time than that anyhow.Got 16 lbs,in the same place i picked 8 lbs the other day.They are still popen up in the bottoms.This rain and cool temps should swell them shrooms up good.
    Good luck guys.

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SE, wow just shows what can happen if Mother nature cooperates a little. Nice job

3. Stacy Gruis

Stacy Gruis Young Morel

Due to the late arrival of spring in Sioux Land Do you believe the growing season will be extended??? And are there any out there now ?? We have had a rainy weekend must I wait for the sun before looking??

4. Jones co. morel hunter

Jones co. morel hunter Morel Enthusiast

My quess is the season needed the rain and lower temps I went out briefly and harvested 30 greys and 25 yellows ! enough for a nice meal, going monday after tonites rain that crossed eastern ia

Stacy Gruis likes this.
  5. IAborn&raised

IAborn&raised Morel Enthusiast

Not a bad day. 2 and half hours. Haven't weighed them yet. Next few days ought to be great. Only a few blondes, mostly greys yet. North central Iowa.

Attached Files:

6. IAborn&raised

IAborn&raised Morel Enthusiast

Retract. Bout half and half. Blondes and greys

7. dhammers91

dhammers91 Morel Enthusiast

Finally found some! Had been checking the spot that I had found 4 sacks full last year and finally had some show up on Saturday when I checked. Had been checking daily for the past two weeks.

Found and picked close to two pounds... all an inch to two inches in size. I am not sure if they are grays or yellows? Can anyone tell from these pics? Grays usually show up before yellows correct? When I found them last year, it was at the tail end of the season (looking back at pictures I found them on May 4th... end of the season last year and just found the first from that spot on the 12th... just the beginning of the season! Crazy!) and they were all large yellows (will also post a pic of the biggest yellow from last year).

Super happy and stoked to get back out in the evenings the rest of the week!
    IMG_2357.JPG IMG_2748.jpg IMG_2749.JPG

Stacy Gruis and (deleted member) like this.
  8. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

Any ideas what these might be? My guess was a type of honey mushroom but guesses could put you in the hospital.

Attached Files:

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

hey Hammers, what part of Iowa are you in?

10. dhammers91

dhammers91 Morel Enthusiast

Right on the boarder of Hardin and Marshall county

11. Jones co. morel hunter

hi everyone had a good day 45 yellows and 28 greys after our storms in eastern ia last night most found just three trees! taking tuesday off to mow and house chores then back at it wed and thur

1 person likes this.
  12. Jones co. morel hunter

look like greys to me and yes they usually come up before the yellows but not always keep picking as the season will go quick with the under growth growing like weeds

1 person likes this.
  13. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

8 pounds of mostly greys. Time to give a few pounds to old people and fry the rest - fry five pounds eat half and put the other half on cookie sheet in freezer for a grey Christmas snack- need to clear out the beer frig and make room for the yellows

Attached Files:

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  14. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

I cant seem to find the time to get out. Just too much work to get done.
    I suck....:(
    download_20180214_184806.jpg

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

chrigs, did you hit any hills north of S. City?

16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

fun gus, what part of iowa are you in?

17. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Central Iowa last couple days nice mostly grey and fresh 4-5 inchers in abundance in north Polk. Today 25 miles south and it seems getting late mid season mix of older, thin skin and a couple fresh on slopes and sporadic bigger yellows in the bottoms. Three days ago the south spot hitting freshies but they are moving low fast. North of 30 is the place to be and the upper 80s forecast might get mid season up to hiway 20 this weekend

1 person likes this.
  18. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Hey Bloomer! Nice Find again ! Golden Oysters(aka Yellow ). See alot of people finding them this year. Look em up. Be Good addition to another Big Ol Ribeye !

19. maybethisyear

maybethisyear Young Morel

20. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Hawkeye, thanks Maybe.
    I’ll be harvesting it the next time I see it then. Appreciate it!
    Headed out after work tonight for a few hours north of Des Moines. Hope everything is still as fresh as I’m hearing.