2018 Iowa Morels

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Jan 31, 2018.

1. dhammers91

dhammers91 Morel Enthusiast

I think these are the same... I just found these near one of my hot spots for morels and thought of your post so took some picks of my own.

Interesting how they are so much bigger near the bottom and continue to get smaller (younger?) as you progress up the tree. I just started at the bottom and worked my way up in the pics. The smallest ones were like .5 inch tall.

Attached Files:

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

fun gus, thanks for the info. Guess its time to get to driving in the morning.

3. RGR175

RGR175 Young Morel

Looks like Yellow Oyster Mushrooms. I just found a bunch on Tuesday. I think the few days of cold weather a week or two ago triggered them to grow. Oysters are choice edibles. Very tasty.

Yellow Oyster Mushroom

If you can, when taking mushroom pictures for identification, take a picture of the top of the cap and then underneath to see the gills and stem. The combination of the two of those helps a lot with identification.

4. maybethisyear

maybethisyear Young Morel

My morel hunting just hasn't been going well this year, less than a dozen, so harvested some of the yellow oyster mushrooms from the woods behind our house and sautéed them in butter and olive oil with a little salt last night. They were so good, picked some more this am for breakfast. Tomorrow night they are going on pizza and Sunday on grilled steak. Was surprised how good they are. I've tried the pheasants back before which I found good if you can get them young enough, but these were definitely better. My main problem finding morels is I have a Scottie and mixed terrier I bring with me, and they go a little insane with happiness when let loose to frolic in the woods and I spend most of my time keeping track of them. Tried to teach the scottie to help me find morels but he finds chipmunks squirrels and the occasional fox far more intriguing.

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Everybody gone home? Still lots of morels out there going to waste.

6. Jones co. morel hunter

Jones co. morel hunter Morel Enthusiast

nope frying a skillet tonite

7. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Yep, fried my last skillet Tuesday night. Some of those were on the verge of brittle.

Lilacs are brown. Ground is dry and hard. Ground cover is taking over. Gnats are out. And I'm tired.

I might as well leave a few for the rest of you. I'm done.

8. Mush head61

Mush head61 Morel Enthusiast

I give up I found 3 total this sucks for me all I wanted was a skillet full now that wasn't asking much from the mushroom gods is it I don't need to find a mother load just wanted to find a few guess am old eyes don't see as they use to oh well maybe next year the mushroom gods will look down on me good luck to found a few a lot and as many as they could get god bless

9. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

SchroomGod I second that ! Exhaustively plucked 77 allday last Saturday . Took MothersDay off for GrillOut @ Saylorville . Scouted a nice hill w/some Elms & a ravine leading to the Lake. However ground was covered in so much LeafLitter . Had to have been from last yr . Aswell as plenty of new growth . Well that day off lead to the past week straight. .Im done too . Hanging up the MorelCap for another year . Salut to Ya SG . Look foward to your Insightful posts! Take Care Man !

1 person likes this.
  10. Mush head61

That' Ok hen of the woods this fall and I know where to get them every year and they taste like a morel I'll bide my time last year I gave away pounds of them I mean pounds and there good eating

11. Mush head61

Be nice to find some morels but I think there gone wow I can' Be live it 3 morels all year think god is punishng me for what I don' know

12. IAborn&raised

IAborn&raised Morel Enthusiast

I've been collecting them slowly this year. Seems like all my spots are hitting only one at a time. Been picking 15-50 every few days almost 3 weeks now. Just rained and got cooler again and few spots the ground cover is still only 6" tall. Hope this contnues. Been weird spring but eating mushrooms every week for awhile has been nice.

13. Mush head61

Well I showed a spot to my brother in law told me he would never go back just all life's am sick of him and my sister they been all over this place I mean I can go there and find enough they go down there and pick e fry thing like they told to bad so sad was laughing hell with them it's ok the 3 I found was good size I gave them to my next door neighbor well live and learn had a guy his son was going to bring me a few enough for a skillet haven' seen him that' ok I'll be walleye fishing soon and I catch a hell of a lot cant wait to show them pictures and them to ask me for some I'll tell them there in lake along with crappies and blue gills boat is coming out this week if I can miss the rain

14. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Hat's off to you dude. Your enthusiasm carried me for miles. Next year will be better. Everyone who chased the shrooms this year has to believe that. I'll be trying thinking long and hard about the strange lead-in to this season and the erratic conditions throughout. Drought, cold, wind, heat...relative to decent years, we lacked the stability. I think most of us walked miles for occasional, sporadic shrooms, few in number, and often stunted. During a 3-day period conditions were fair and stable where I am, and that's when I did my best. I helped out the older folks and also put a couple gallon bags in the freezer, but that's far less than I can recall. Mushhead,good luck with the walleye. Crappie and gills are going good here. More productive than shroomin!

15. 515IdiotOutWandrnAround

515IdiotOutWandrnAround Morel Enthusiast

I don't know where in Iowa all yall are. I'm like.... North West part of central? Fort Dodge. Hoping to go check again in a minute
    But still Been finding them
    Or my significant other since I had 2 take a break as I'm 8 months pregnant.. Only even searched one park so far. Pretty common one at that . weather has been bipolar as heck.. Lotta rain last night I think... Bsck to why I replied to this comment tho lilacs not dried up here at all. Kinda just started blooming week ago or so. . this is first year ive gone out several times. I accompanied my bf in high school once waaayyy late in the season down by Dayton . found one huge one . found sum right after putting down a toad this year..
    Uhm.
    Question ?? Can u see them as they surface? We found one that was half popped thru the ground. It looks like a shroom. But then found lots and lots of white smooth .. Somethings? Surfacing slightly.. Anyome know what they are?

16. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

Gave it one last try today.All toast.Hanging it up for the year.Good luck to all still looking.

17. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Super weird year. Ground soil 53 on 4/23 in Polk county but no morels until 4/30 when soil was 72. Lilacs first bloom 4/29 but on 5/5 little wimps and by 5/10 they grew in size of bloom. Lilacs have always bloomed at 53 since I paid attention to both cycles about 1980 to now. Proves my grandpa was right that season and where to look is based on the lilac bloom. First week one light pound, second week one heavy pound, then most heavy rain went north and south of me but enough for a 26 pound week. A rare fourth week and I got 4 pounds but had to go out of town Wednesday to last Sunday. 5/21 was my last one hour jaunt looking for the big low north hill ones but I’m done.
    About: Less than one pound on east or north hills and 31 pounds along west or south hills and flat land along timberline. No more than four pounds in one day, but a solid 3-4 pounds a day for eight days. During that week 1/2 inch greys to five inch yellows.
    Fewer big clusters around prime elm but more hitting in cottonwoods. Fewer deer but now yellow oysters! Never saw them before but got five pounds. Now I know what they are, I’ll harvest them, too.
    Whoever said this is like 2014 was right, but that year week three gave me 10# for a total of 12# and this year was salvaged at week three.
    I’ve got seven pounds frozen, and hope to stay healthy enough to get my aging body for a great 2019.
    Want to thank everyone for good insights and a positive message board during a goofy year. Helped me stay the course.

18. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Great post, fun gus. Very informative. Impressive numbers on your finds in a different sort of year.