2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

I must be one of the few people who hunts Kentucky and is active on this website. I would like to see our thread get as much attention as some of the other groups on here.

It is nice to know what the hunters nearby are finding and to help each other out.

Lots of flooding on the Ohio river going on right now so we may need to search the hilltops about 3/4 of the way up.

It's a good time to check the "Honey Holes" for flooding. If they are flooded out. Follow the path the water made uphill this season and search along the debris that was washed downhill.
    If you do notice that your hot spots are flooded out. Survey where the water level reached and be sure to walk along that area as the spores may be resting on the "high-bank" this year.

As always, best of luck to everybody this year. We hope to see you posting photos soon !

2. Hakeem1984

Hakeem1984 Young Morel

Hey there Nutsak. My grandfather use to take me mushrooming back in the early 90s and as I grew older I didn't keep up with the lifestyle or hobby. As my grandfather grew older I quickly realized how much he taught me that I disregarded. Only the past 2 or 3 years have I gotten back into hunting morels. Don't know if it's the spirit inside that makes me want to do it to relive the childhood or if it's something else. But anyway I'm here in South Central, KY. Been out looking at the ground and what not....found some fresh Jew's Ears and that's about it. I'd say another 2 or 3 weeks and they'll be popping up.

3. queengretal

queengretal Young Morel

Hello to all. I am excited for the 2018 season. I love morel hunting and mushroom hunting in general. I hunt mainly in eastern Clark County and attend the Morel Mountain Mushroom festival in Estill County every year. My most surprising find happened last year on April 4. I have a little rental house in the downtown Lexington area. I went in to the back yard to mow. At first, I thought I was seeing black, rotted hedge apples (because there is a hedge apple tree in the fence row) and I went to step around them on my way to the shed for the mower. But once my brain registered what I was seeing, I realized I was looking at a spread of 21 black morel mushrooms!!! IN THE BACKYARD OF A DOWNTOWN LEXINGTON RENTAL!!! Just two days before this, I had scoured the Gorge with not a single find! It was truly bizarre and just reinforced the notion that you never know where you're going to find these things! And believe me, I have already begun checking the backyard of the rental again. Personally, I think it was the Universe playing a joke on me and I'll never find them there again, but who knows. Any way, I'm eager for the first finds and will post them when I find them. Here are a few pics of finds from years gone by.

Attached Files:

4. nutsak

Hakeem, I think what you are experiencing is a sort of spiritual transfer. When my mother passed away I suddenly had these urges to Garden and Sew. Somehow through the knowledge I as able to remember her teaching me and a little bit of practice I found myself growing an extremely successful garden and crafting/sewing some amazing things.

____

As far as the morel hunting. I can say that the past 3-4 years have been very very slow and weak season in Northern Ky, Late frosts and cold spikes have devastated the morels. The morels we found were flattened mush. I think your timing is exactly right for here you are, we normally start finding mycelium around that time and about a week later morels.

PLEASE keep of informed on hear of your finding. You are a "pointman" for the rest of the state.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the Kentucky forum seems to be the least active on the website. I would love to see the community grow because sharing information with each other helps us all gather more mushrooms and learn from each other.

5. nutsak

I would like to rent the house! ( at least for a month or two, AHAHAHA ) We have yet to attend the Mountain Morel Fest, but I really want to go this year with the family. I think my son is now old enough to appreciate it and have fun there. As far as the black morels in the yard. This is very common when you have recently landscaped or mulched the prior year ( or 2 years prior )
    I know that sometimes Lexington gets some pretty heavy Ice Storms that strip the bark off the trees and cause limbs to crack and all off. That debris can help aid in mushroom spawns as well.
    I am guessing that you found them in the shaded part of the yard where the house blocks the sun from hitting the grass. I lot of times ( even in the woods ) I spot the larges mushrooms in the shadows or on the shaded side of the tree, shaded from the evening sun that is "1:30 - 6:30 pm" I think it is because the morels have dew and moisture in the morning so the sun is not as harmful, but towards the end of the day once that moisture is evaporated it has an effect on the morels. This would be why you find them tucked up close to the tree in the shaded zone, Or under multi-floral rose bushes near the base of the plant. Fallen logs and dirt mounds also provide shade cover.

Let me know if the house if for rent!
    Best of luck this year, maybe we will run into each other at the Mountain Festival this year!

6. nutsak

Here is a link to the Morel Festive in Kentucky. I have heard GREAT things about this event.

http://mountainmushroomfestival.org/

Hope to see some of you attend this year. I plan to attend for the first time with my family.

7. Hakeem1984

Hakeem1984 Young Morel

Hey there nutsak, I was actually thinking the same thing..... A spiritual movement.

As for the temperatures last night it was down in the 30s and tonight is supposed to be 27 so I'm having a hard time thinking that there will be anything this week or even next week. But the week of the 16th it's supposed to hold in the 40s at night and behind the 60s during the day. I think that week I will really begin looking down here.

I saw the link you posted about the festival I would check the link out and look at my work schedule to see if I have those days off. I don't get vacation again until July so I'll have to wait until the next year if I'm unable to make it this year. I've already been off of work due to surgery on my hand and also off for FMLA because we had our fourth child. So..... Taking off more time would harm me in the long run so it's best that I wait until I have vacation time but we'll see.

1 person likes this.
  8. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Well I couldn’t wait to check a few of my early spots after seeing the soil temps running 55-60 degrees for a few days. So I hunted last Sunday and again on Thursday. Really thought I might find a few small blacks but unfortunately nada.
    These spots had produced a few small ones on 3/3 and 3/7 in Jefferson county last year. Looking at the long range forecast and I’m thinking now that we may not find any for another 2 weeks at least. Hope I’m wrong. Bummer.

9. Annette

Annette Morel Enthusiast

Hey Guys,
    I stumbled into the mushroom world last year when we found some morels in the yard. Then some oysters ... so I spent last summer and fall hiking and hunting. Can't wait to get out there again :) I'm in Oldham County.

10. deleted

deleted Guest

Hi nutsac and to all others watching this new board. im glad you got this started here...i live in S. Ind. just across from Louisville Ky.
    i post and follow the 2018 Ind. board and have for many years.
    Id like to help get this forum off to a good start and keep it growing. I will now post whatever i know on both boards and just let me add that it was one sucky year for my Cards and UK b-ball this year !!
    good luck to all, its generally April first before my season gets going...cant wait... ;)

11. Hoon

Hoon Morel Enthusiast

I'm about an hour north of river, try to hunt around maysville on march 16. Been awhile since I've found birthday mushrooms, but I always try. My hometown, in Ohio, usually don't start producing until April 5

12. nutsak

Verny ! Normally about the same here. Last weekend in March and the first week in April we start finding blacks.

I have found mycelium as early as March 6th but that normally gets delayed by a cold snap the 2nd week of March.
    Also let me mention that I normally find on the hilltops first as they get more evening sun. When hunting hilltops I often go in the evening and I hunt in the shadowed side of Large ash and Elm. Once April 20th hits I find them on the high-bank ( the area where the creek has reached its max depth ) and creek walls with exposed soil ( normally dark black soil ) near Sycamores.

13. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

What are you guys talking about finding mycelium?! I'm no novice and this is the first year I've heard people talking about this...how do you figure it's morel mycelium? There are tons of different mycelium in the ground and no real way to tell what is what

14. Annette

Annette Morel Enthusiast

Hi Vern! My brother in law lives in New Albany...we're not far away. And yes, basketball has not been kind to us this year lol.

1 person likes this.
  15. deleted

deleted Guest

Well hello Annette, yea i live just out of Jeffersonville. i have often thought of hunting up in Floyd Knobs...tons of hills and woods up there but where i go now keeps me busy enough.
    Are you new to shroomin or just new to the board here ?

1 person likes this.
  16. Annette

Annette Morel Enthusiast

Yes. lol. This whole thing started when we found some morels in the yard last year. Then one of our trees sprouted a bunch of oyster mushrooms. I pretty much spent the rest of the year hiking and foraging. :)

17. nutsak

I am wondering who stated it was specifically MOREL MYCELIUM? I said that I start finding "Mycelium" as early as March the 6th. Be sure to let us know who said Morel Mycelium. Or stay off the message board if you are just here to Troll. None of have time for that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Hollywood likes this.
  18. deleted

deleted Guest

Hay, who gives a crap..you see one Mycelium..you've seen all Mycelium...:p:p

2 people like this.
  19. deleted

deleted Guest

Fungal_hyphae_620.JPG out of my entire Mycelium collection..this is my favorite Mycelium. ill let you know which it is as soon as i figure it out...lmao
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur