2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

what part of the state are you finding them under pine trees. the first time I went years ago that where I spent all my time was in pines bc my teacher told me they used to come up every year under a white pine in her yard. but that was all I knew at the time. and I never found any.

1 person likes this.
  2. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

a guy I know said he found a few blacks on a river bank to day around sycamors and maple trees. in south east ky. its time to grab another gear and get out there.

Redbird.river likes this.

3. ScottT

ScottT Morel Enthusiast

I was out in the woods today as well in central Kentucky for 2-3 hours and didn’t find the first sign of one as well. It was interesting how dry the area was even after all the snow and rain that we have experienced over the last few weeks.

4. Cableguy

Cableguy Morel Enthusiast

07BE3387-C08E-4B74-8E44-577BDD846A91.jpeg Found 29 today after 13 yesterday. Really starting to grow in Western KY. CALLOWAY County, Murray.

5. Thefunkybunch

Thefunkybunch Young Morel

Hi yall. I'm going to start trying to motel hunt for the first time near Jefferson county. Anyone find any yet around here? I think I found a good spot but haven't been sure about the weather lately. Am I too early? Late?

1 person likes this.
  6. Paula-Joy

Paula-Joy Morel Enthusiast

7. Paula-Joy

Paula-Joy Morel Enthusiast

I'm across the county line in Shelby. Same questions. I've got a couple hours this morning/today but don't even know WHERE to start looking. Beckly Park yesterday--clueless, got some sun, windburn, and wind stole my hat. Watched ky video on youtube. Still hopeful. No idea where to look today.

Thefunkybunch likes this.
  8. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Just scouted a couple of my prime hilltop spots.

No Mushrooms. The ground was so dry the I was kicking up dust just from walking.

I check some creek bottoms tomorrow but as of right now northern Kentucky needs some rain with this warm weather. I am pushing my date back at April 20th - 24th due to dry conditions.

I think the heavy wind is causing the dry conditions.

9. deleted

deleted Guest

Hay you Nutty Nutsack...you should think about joining us Ind. boys and girls up to Lake Monroe for our 1st ever Camping trip and hunt..

1 person likes this.
  10. nutsak

With the warm temps I doubt the cold front will do any harm the the ground temps.
    We need some rain in Kentucky, I would bank on hitting the woods on 4-20-18 , as long as we get some before then.
    As of right now the ground is much too dry in most places that are normally honey holes for me.

Best of luck, if you go hike this weekend stay near the creeks!

Mark67 likes this.
  11. nutsak

When? I'm up for that the conditions here have been horrible so far.

I have a feeling that it's going to snow on Monday and then on tuesday summer will show up and cook all possibilities of morels this season.

1 person likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Guest

Dude, i have posted it here a couple of times and a bunch on our Ind. board. here is the link for the hole shindig...
    here is the thing....i was just about to make the reservations in a few min. i can include you for that if a can get a firm commitment or i will be leaving the campground reservation number a little later for last min. undecided people to make there own.
    Read this right quick...
    https://www.morels.com/threads/2018-indiana-morel-update.95635/page-99#post-108456

13. deleted

deleted Guest

https://www.morels.com/threads/2018-indiana-morel-update.95635/page-129#post-109657

14. Mark67

Mark67 Morel Enthusiast

I just got back from going to a couple of my early spots and nothing. It will be a week before we have them here in NE Ky. Getting dry plus the ground is still cold. It will take these warm days were having right now plus a decent soaker to get a flush.

15. Mark67

Mark67 Morel Enthusiast

Right on the money with my thoughts as well. We have rain in the forecast for Sunday. By the 20th, it should be right!

Redbird.river likes this.
  16. waylon b

waylon b Young Morel

Found on 4/12 Clay Co. High on the hill. They aren't up good yet these was spaced out alot. Had to cover alot of ground for them. 30594923_1739804149400523_4328728977351901184_n.jpg 30624638_1740252536022351_726412385345455017_n.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Redbird.river

Redbird.river Morel Enthusiast

Anybody from Buckhorn in Perry and Breathitt County? I have heard that there is good hunting in the Buckhorn lake area. I went over there and scouted a couple of days ago and didn't see anything. I hunted in the woods behind the Bowlingtown Marina. Is this a good area? Is anybody finding anything down there?

ian likes this.
  18. Swayback

Swayback Morel Enthusiast

Roughly where are you hunting?
    I'm looking around Scott and South Owen county cuz it's close to me but I don't have access to much woods here.
    I really need to find access outside the central bluegrass, there's just not much here to find and if they are hiding... it's on private land and getting access is harder than finding decent areas that are even worth checkin

19. Swayback

Swayback Morel Enthusiast

I did finally find mayapple up in Scott county, I thought they'd never show!
    They're still small or just nubs but they're finally going.
    I took another drive to the spot I mentioned way back in the thread with all the big cedars... sure enough found atleast 15 before I got my big feet outta there!
    First find of the year for me, first time finding them under cedar as well, but theres no other trees anywhere near.
    Actually it's the first time I've found them near a hilltop, I always find in moist dark valleys but I know hilltops warm up first.
    They're big as my thumbnail and thanks to that cutting wind they felt dry to the touch... hopefully this bug rain will make the whole area flush.
    Sadly the neighbor to that property spotted me and has me figured out... first thing he asked was "are they up yet?"
    So I'm guessing I'll be lucky to get any there... he can just walk across the street to pick em and what I found was so small i couldn't bear to pick them myself...
    I know they won't grow much today with this hot dry wind on their hilltop, but maybe by Sunday I can get back up there and check the progress...

I can't complain, but it's not much fun knowing that someone else is likely to pick the shrooms before me, but I guess they're as much his as they are mine, maybe he'll atleast let em size em before he gets em... maybe he's lazy or his eyes fail him... either way I'll be back to check... and I guess I'll be checking cedars now too... but these are so big and the ones in fields and woods around here are just thick patches of young trees that choke each other out...

Attached Files:

ian and Mark67 like this.
  20. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

I have the same feeling nutsack.

1 person likes this.