2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Hey I live just outside Glasgow, where around the lake did u look I'm off today and may go look myself, any advice?

2. Richard Hollandsworth

Richard Hollandsworth Young Morel

Owensboro area here. I've always heard dead or dying elms are a great place to look, but I've been having bad luck the past couple years using this method. Any other trees or locations good for morels?

1 person likes this.

3. Tydus

Tydus Morel Enthusiast

I live in bromley ky I just hunt in grant county, crittenden is a good area to look. Those were the first two of the season and very late for me also. I usually make our first finds the first week of April. Last three years were April 4th , April 2nd , and March 29th. This year will be great, by Sunday there will be plenty to be found. Start in poplar groves and creek bottoms around sycamores. Good luck

4. Tydus

Tydus Morel Enthusiast

Creek bottoms around sycamore trees and also poplar trees/tulip trees are always a good bet.

Nasdaq and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Tydus

Tydus Morel Enthusiast

I hunt in crittenden area every year , the key is to find the old growth forest in that area and early in the season I do well in bottoms and moves up the hills as season progresses.

6. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

Check out this whopper I found today in Oldham county! I didn't pick it, it was broken off near the babies I found the other day. Not much else going on here

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  7. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

I just refer to the circle around a target tree as the red zone. Finding them in random spots happens, but not often enough to waste valuable tree finding time just staring at the ground.

8. Mike's Custom Coatings

Mike's Custom Coatings Morel Enthusiast

Found only 2 today in jefferson county my other gray i was watching several days ago was shrivled up and broke and dead so went ahead and picked the small grey today, does anyone know any counties that are doing great for yellows right now?? Bc im trying to go out this weekend and find some somewhere and would appreciate the advice,

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  9. Fltoiachic

Fltoiachic Morel Enthusiast

Hello, over here in the far SW corner of of the State, my daughter in law FINALLY found a baby this afternoon. Left it to grow a few more days, but, definitely hoping the tides have turned......

2 people like this.
  10. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

I went out earlier today.

Morels - 0

Golf balls - 14

I have to admit that the ground moisture is perfect in some areas.

Should be a decent weekend down in southern Kentucky

Fltoiachic likes this.
  11. Julz

Julz Young Morel

I’m in Powell County. Went out yesterday and today and found nada. Even went to a honey whole. Won’t get to hunt again until Tuesday and Wednesday. But that’s when the rains start back. :-(.

1 person likes this.
  12. ScottT

ScottT Morel Enthusiast

Great advice as I was trying to gain knowledge on the morel versus mayapple relationship as well. Thanks!

2 people like this.
  13. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Hey gang,
    Graves county here... I've looked almost everyday for over a month now in areas that typically are productive. The may apples are over a foot tall, temps and moisture seem spot on. However, I had only found 2 "half frees'" until this Tuesday. I actually found (3) little 2" morels. One was a grey and 2 blondes... I found two within 5 minutes of looking and 30 feet of each other and then scoured the area 22 acres for 9.5 hours one day and 6 the next. Still only have 3 morels to show for it. I'm just hoping, like everyone else that the warmer weather and more consistent nights above freezing will turn them on a bit more. I don't think all hope is gone, its just an oddball year. I'll be hard at it this weekend and am hoping to share some shroom pics! Will keep you posted, good luck everyone! Frustratedly yours, SSgt. White...

Mark67 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Tydus

Tydus Morel Enthusiast

Found 5 in northern ky should be good to go by Monday or so with warmer temps coming. All small less than 2”.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  15. SSgt.CWhite

Anyone know what these might be?

Attached Files:

16. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

They are in the Pholiota group. I can't really tell which one, just by the picture

2 people like this.
  17. SSgt.CWhite

Thank you. Just needed a place to start researching

18. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

B9B0C269-8216-4E08-A005-0A51DD412FF4.jpeg Been in the woods the past 2 days turkey hunting in Hart county but decided to check several patches that produced a few earlier this season. Found 1 mature black. I have picked these patches for the past 19 years and usually pick a few hundred every season divided pretty even between blacks, greys and yellows. Easily the worst season I have ever had.

19. Terry c

Terry c Morel Enthusiast

Went out this morning again in Jefferson County .
    1 pheasant back
    3 golf balls
    0 morrels
    Crazy season

20. Tony&Toni

Tony&Toni Morel Enthusiast