2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

That 13 point buck is probably eating all your mushrooms dude!

They are hungry this year because it was such a harsh winter!

2 people like this.
  2. Judiraz

Judiraz Morel Enthusiast

Today’s pickings. The larger one have been in the spot for awhile, the smaller ones are new and there are some babies poking thru. Happy it rained!

Attached Files:

3. deleted

deleted Guest

The easy answer is to keep doing what you are doing and take up Golf. you will save a ton on golf balls..keep your eyes peeled for a glove and a 9 iron...:p:p

SSgt.CWhite and Boiled Owl Eye like this.
  4. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

i found 6 big ones this morning under ash trees. they was almost at the stage of being to old. I got em just in time, on top of that I only had a hour to hunt I'm definatly going back.. oh yea my trip to Harlan was a bust people had already been through every where we looked. but lots of other people were finding shit loads just not us.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  5. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

Found this huge yellow in Oldham county today and two small grays. We were on the four wheeler going to the spot to check the babies I've marked and in the middle of a field between a cedar and a walnut I spotted this big one, I yelled Whoa! Back up! This season is so strange, we've spent many hours checking our normal spots and nothing but three tiny babies and then this. Needless to say the hunt was on which I did find the two grays by themselves under cedars. Hopefully there's still hope.

Attached Files:

ScottT, Jacob Meadows, ian and 5 others like this.
  6. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

hit river bottoms vern on the high walls and flats above where its flooded. I did good like that this morning found big pretty shrooms

1 person likes this.
  7. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

E7714B46-BA4B-4BA6-B8EE-26DCBA021940.jpeg D6D61481-CD22-4E83-B094-40C5ED02B38B.jpeg 15E8FE1F-C8E5-42D3-96DE-44AF7D8CA9A6.jpeg Decided to get out this afternoon following the rain and I was expecting to find some small freshly popped greys and yellows. I hunted this spot last Monday and didn’t find any that day. What a difference a week makes! Picked 26 1-4 inch yellows and several were farther along than I expected. This was in the Louisville metro area all near ash and elm trees in a creek bottom.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    ian, Buckbuster6213, ScottT and 8 others like this.
  8. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Did the 3 babies get any bigger?

Boiled Owl Eye likes this.
  9. deleted

deleted Guest

Ian, thanks so much for the advice but at 64 with a very bad back and emphysema pal, not likely you will find me around any river bottoms when i find plenty five min. from home...lol.
    By the way...i cant seem to figure out what this has to do with a quote about Nutsak's Golf game...:confused::p:p

1 person likes this.
  10. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

Oh hi Vern, where you been; catch any yet?

1 person likes this.
  11. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

How long do they need to grow?

12. deleted

deleted Guest

What say Mr Owl...been real busy for a while but now i am ready to get down to the real business of finding me some dinner to fry up..lol...Let the games begin my friend ;)

13. myfinds712

Just barely, they are blondes and growing slowly. One looks like it's a goner. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. That big one sure surprised me though.

14. myfinds712

Good to hear Rick!

15. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Hahahaha! You crack me up brother

1 person likes this.
  16. deleted

deleted Guest

Sarge, are you currently active duty or retired sir....oops, didn't mean to say "sir", i know that you work for a living..lmao. Thanks for your service, I was Army at the end of Vietnam..pencil pusher..lol

ScottT and (deleted member) like this.
  17. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Thank you for your service! I was active duty Air Force, part of the 71st Rescue Squadron from 2001-2009. I loved my time and miss it dearly! Sadly in 2009, Obama decided our military was too large and there was no longer a place for a bunch of us... Best of times, worst of times lol. The Lord had/has other plans for me I guess. I would gladly serve again though... Too bad we get too old lol

Redbird.river, ScottT, T tom and 4 others like this.
  18. deleted

deleted Guest

A redneck family's only son returns home from college. The father asks, "Well son, you done gone to college, so you must be perty smart. Why don't you speak some math fer' us?" The son says, "Pi R squared." The father yells, "Why son, they ain't teached ya nothin'! Pies are round, cornbread are square."

19. mjmarch2

mjmarch2 Young Morel

Found a couple in Northern KY (Crittenden) on Sunday. Unfortunately found them as I was rolling over them with the lawnmower. As you can see from the pic the lawnmower won. Going to go out tomorrow evening. Hoping the rain will make them pop. IMG_1636.JPG

2 people like this.
  20. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

lol I ment for that message to be for the one you said that you haven't been having much luck. hope you find a mess of em. this year shore aint been the best for me eather. but I feel the rest of this week and week end will be the peak of season for south east ky. I got the feeling its about to start getting hot after that.

1 person likes this.