2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

HELLLL YES!! USAF

SSgt.CWhite and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

what is eating just the tip tops off the morels I been finding they 4-5 inches tall so I know it aint a turtle. birds maybe? just wondering

T tom likes this.

3. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Found 2 more yellows this afternoon while searching a different creek bottom. This creek didn’t have nearly as many of my target trees (elm, ash and sycamore) and it showed in the lack of morels.

1 person likes this.
  4. deleted

deleted Guest

Who knows...its mating season, might have been a female Morel..

T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  5. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

Just an educated guess, I'm gonna say that they were up during the cold spell we had.

6. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Anyone??? Growing on some dead wood, looked like hickory or maple.

Attached Files:

7. Paula-Joy

Paula-Joy Morel Enthusiast

New, not giving up. Can you give me any general suggestions of parks or preserves or areas to look in Jefferson County Ky(Louisville), Shelby County, or over I64 bridge New Albany? I haven't met someone in this area yet, but i learned several things from the Indiana Foray group I'd like to try out today. Thanks in advance.

8. Richard Hollandsworth

Richard Hollandsworth Young Morel

Going out this morning wish me luck . -Daviess county Owensboro area

neguyinky and Mark67 like this.
  9. deleted

deleted Guest

My Ky friends...i met @Paula-Joy at our new Indiana Foray this past weekend. she is a newbie with a big heart and really needs your help getting started. please see what you can do to get her pointed in the right direction, thanks Vern

10. neguyinky

neguyinky Morel Enthusiast

I am new here too. I've been taking the shotgun approach. I think I picked a bad year to start though. :/

1 person likes this.
  11. neguyinky

Oh... I have a question about sustainability. I generally leave a good portion of wild edibles so that they can regrow. I understand mushrooms are the fruit of the fungus so this is in some ways different. What about leaving some behind for spores to develop or anything like that?

1 person likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Guest

My friend, unfortunately the shotgun approach sometimes is the only way to get started. it can take several seasons to develop enough good spots that will sustain you for the years to follow. you just have to stick with it until you have success.
    as far as being to late..not true, the best of the season is just coming now. over the next two weeks they will be easier and easier to spot. just dont forget where they were for the next season..lol. good luck pal and take any advice that comes along here on the board...Vern

ScottT and neguyinky like this.
  13. davo62

davo62 Morel Enthusiast

Did yippy have any luck?

14. davo62

davo62 Morel Enthusiast

You*

15. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I don't believe you need to leave any behind in order to spread the spores. Many of the shrooms you pick would have been up long enough to spread spores and you will always miss some. I have some patches that I have picked consistently for almost 20 years and I don't leave any shrooms behind if I can help it! This year has been the exception to the consistent production of those patches but this year has been a really off year for most of us in KY.

16. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Vern is so right about the shotgun approach. I have literally found many of my patches with a shotgun strapped over my shoulder during the spring turkey season not actually looking for morels but just stumbling upon patches. Just make a mental note of where you found them and hit up that spot again next year. Right now you need to focus on creek bottoms and rises or benches adjacent to the bottoms around elm, ash and sycamore and you are looking for the big greys and yellows.

neguyinky and (deleted member) like this.
  17. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

After 3 consecutive days of rainfall and cloud cover all day today.

Tomorrow morning would be a great day to hit the woods.

It's sometimes easier to spot the morels when the underbrush is soaking wet.

The leaves and soil get really dark and the ( yellow and grey ) morels stand out with a heavy contrast making it easier to spot them from further away.

If other people in you area hunt mushrooms then the best thing to do would be to get off of the trails and make your own path. Most people are lazy and walk the trails so it is less likely that you will find them on trails/paths.

I carry either a machete or a cold steel bus man knife mounted on a 26" handle. This is how I plow my way through thickets of multifloral rose bushes. Places that even the deer and turkeys don't look for morels.

Find any mildly wooded area that isn't near a tobacco field or corn field as the chemicals they spray seem to kill off fungi.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  18. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

After 3 days of rain and a cloud covered Wednesday. I am hoping for the sky's to remain cloudy or bring some more light rain.

The last thing we want right now is 3 hot sunny days.

The morels are growing right now and as long as the sun stay blocked they will keep going.

If the sun does come out. Be sure to check I. The the shadowed areas, or in on the shaded side of the ash tree right near the trunk.

My theory on the biger the tree the further away you find the mushrooms.
    I think it is nearly because larger trees cast a larger shadow.
    That mixed with the roots drawing moisture to the surface of the soil.

Keeps that in mind while searching.
    All the ground will be swampy and muddy so you need to focus on shadows.

19. neguyinky

Well I went out at lunch and struck out! I didn't see the part on here abour river beds yet and went to a place where I'd seen mayapples and bloodroot on a steep hillside. I did find a Wood Poppy though!

1 person likes this.
  20. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

Checked the babies today and as you can see the little blondes haven't grown much and two of them were shot. The gray had grown so I harvested it and found one more nice yellow. At least I'm getting some well needed exercise and am in the woods, my happy place.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.