Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

821 - 840 of 1039 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well the old man finally got time to hit my spots for the first time. near Louisville mostly in pine groves and poplar trees..
View attachment 5503 View attachment 5502
The bag is one that i had @nutsak make for me...love it.
Nice, well done. Went again in Central Ky but still nothing, but saw a lot of other mushrooms growing today that weren’t there over the weekend, so I think that is a promising sign!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just found a bunch of big yellows on my lunch break. in the middle of town beleave it or not lol. but I'm wanting to save them until Saturday when I go see my uncle. so how long will they stay good in a paper bag in the fridge? and also id love post pics but the only internet acsess I got is a computer at work that don't have a camera on it:/

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
I just found a bunch of big yellows on my lunch break. in the middle of town beleave it or not lol. but I'm wanting to save them until Saturday when I go see my uncle. so how long will they stay good in a paper bag in the fridge? and also id love post pics but the only internet acsess I got is a computer at work that don't have a camera on it:/
Ian, take the pic's with your phone then email them to yourself. download them and now you have pics to upload here...hope that helps pal..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did yippy have any luck?
No morels so far. Went out for about 3 hours today. Looked under some tulip trees and elms nearby a creek I hike frequently. I'm not giving up though.
On a side note: is it possible for the soil to be too wet? I believe much of the area I was hunting got flooded about a month ago

·
Vendor
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
Looks like a sunny day for northern Kentucky.

Get out and hit the woods early so the sun does get to the exposed morels.

We have had 4.5 days of shade/could rainy weather so they will be grown in areas that will catch a lot of sunshine today.

If you can't make it out until the evening, check in the areas behind the trees that are I the shadow of the tree. Even small saplings can provide enough shade for 1 nice morel to hide in.

I know I said go this weekend but if you have the time to do it I recommend going out today.

The weekend will also be productive but you may find that some of the mushrooms have burnt caps from sun exposure.

Good luck shroomers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
are yens finding them up high or down low. just wondering I beleave I seen a post from you saying Floyd co. I was just wondering bc I'm goin to Breathitt co. this week end. just trying to get a idea of where to start at. sence I wont have much time there. I hit Harlan last weekend on creek bottoms and got nothing. then came back to London and found a good mess on the river by ash and sycamore trees.
We were on the creek down low

·
Registered
36 Posts
View attachment 5144 Found a few today here in Floyd County
Hungry ;( This is my first season really looking.
beginning to think eating that first one someone else found may have been a mistake. Hopefully I'll either learn to find morels, or time will let me forget how good it tasted.
I'm in Shelby ky--suggestions? I did Deem Park walk over the river yesterday, and on my own I am failing. And don't dare to get too far off the trails. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey @Paula-Joy ,I didn't know you were in Louisville, @vern is just across the river from you. Hit him up, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking you out and showing you the ropes.
Great idea. I went to Deem Lake yesterday with a flower/frog person. Heard a frog trill and thought I'd learned enough Saturday, but still felt like I didn't know what I was doing, and flower friend wasn't really interested. These hikes are certainly helping me sleep--unfortunately it's been in the driver seat (at home parked) and in my chair in front of the tv. I'm exhausted. I really gotta build up my endurance. I have three fast moving, tiny and just as tall as me grandkids, and the summer camping trip is already planned. I gotta get my endurance back. If Vern is going out again this season... well, I would cross the river. I know where Ben's Bargain Barn is in Jeffersonville. Suddenly I am shy lol. Robin gave me enough confidence Saturday--I'd like to get one more hike in. Guess I wait for an invite. Or navigate this site and just ASK. thanks tom. hope the tick situation worked out for your dog. I have a WELT on my neck--one of them got pissed at removal techniques and it got messy. Can't imagine being covered. I guess spray him with a herbal dog approved repellent next time?

·
Vendor
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #836
I'm headed out to check a creek o e I get back in town today.

I've been at jungle jims market buying empanadas and some spiecies to mix in with my flour for when I bread and fry the morels I'm about to pick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm headed out to check a creek o e I get back in town today.

I've been at jungle jims market buying empanadas and some spiecies to mix in with my flour for when I bread and fry the morels I'm about to pick.
I am definitely awed/impressed, and sadly but truly, jealous in a good way because--
A) i've been lost in jungle jims twice and louisville doesn't have one
B) YOU FOUND AND ARE FEASTING ON MORELS!!!!
May my eyes learn the way of the morel hunt, may I be humble and hopeful and hungry for them till I find one, may the kindness of new friends help me reach that goal. Happy feasting, wishing you continued good eating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Louisville, Ky. I'm from WV. I went hunting today in Southern Indiana. (Floyds Knob) to be exact. Nothing, but 4 golf balls. I am going south tomorrow, to Shepardsville. Hopefully I can find some trees around here. Any suggestions near Louisville Ky. Struggling

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Nice, well done. Went again in Central Ky but still nothing, but saw a lot of other mushrooms growing today that weren’t there over the weekend, so I think that is a promising sign!
To @ScottT and all in Central Ky...If your area is not on fire this weekend, you are not holding your mouth right..lol. im near Louisville and its heating up fast around here right now.. get out there and dont give up !!

821 - 840 of 1039 Posts