2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Looks like a sunny day for northern Kentucky.

Get out and hit the woods early so the sun does get to the exposed morels.

We have had 4.5 days of shade/could rainy weather so they will be grown in areas that will catch a lot of sunshine today.

If you can't make it out until the evening, check in the areas behind the trees that are I the shadow of the tree. Even small saplings can provide enough shade for 1 nice morel to hide in.

I know I said go this weekend but if you have the time to do it I recommend going out today.

The weekend will also be productive but you may find that some of the mushrooms have burnt caps from sun exposure.

Good luck shroomers!

1 person likes this.
  2. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

3. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

We were on the creek down low

4. Paula-Joy

Paula-Joy Morel Enthusiast

Hungry ;( This is my first season really looking.
    beginning to think eating that first one someone else found may have been a mistake. Hopefully I'll either learn to find morels, or time will let me forget how good it tasted.
    I'm in Shelby ky--suggestions? I did Deem Park walk over the river yesterday, and on my own I am failing. And don't dare to get too far off the trails. lol

1 person likes this.
  5. Paula-Joy

Great idea. I went to Deem Lake yesterday with a flower/frog person. Heard a frog trill and thought I'd learned enough Saturday, but still felt like I didn't know what I was doing, and flower friend wasn't really interested. These hikes are certainly helping me sleep--unfortunately it's been in the driver seat (at home parked) and in my chair in front of the tv. I'm exhausted. I really gotta build up my endurance. I have three fast moving, tiny and just as tall as me grandkids, and the summer camping trip is already planned. I gotta get my endurance back. If Vern is going out again this season... well, I would cross the river. I know where Ben's Bargain Barn is in Jeffersonville. Suddenly I am shy lol. Robin gave me enough confidence Saturday--I'd like to get one more hike in. Guess I wait for an invite. Or navigate this site and just ASK. thanks tom. hope the tick situation worked out for your dog. I have a WELT on my neck--one of them got pissed at removal techniques and it got messy. Can't imagine being covered. I guess spray him with a herbal dog approved repellent next time?

T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  6. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

I'm headed out to check a creek o e I get back in town today.

I've been at jungle jims market buying empanadas and some spiecies to mix in with my flour for when I bread and fry the morels I'm about to pick.

Paula-Joy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. rheaday

rheaday Morel Enthusiast

Finally! Found some in Oldham county this morning.

8. Paula-Joy

I am definitely awed/impressed, and sadly but truly, jealous in a good way because--
    A) i've been lost in jungle jims twice and louisville doesn't have one
    B) YOU FOUND AND ARE FEASTING ON MORELS!!!!
    May my eyes learn the way of the morel hunt, may I be humble and hopeful and hungry for them till I find one, may the kindness of new friends help me reach that goal. Happy feasting, wishing you continued good eating.

T tom, Chris B and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Young Morel

I live in Louisville, Ky. I'm from WV. I went hunting today in Southern Indiana. (Floyds Knob) to be exact. Nothing, but 4 golf balls. I am going south tomorrow, to Shepardsville. Hopefully I can find some trees around here. Any suggestions near Louisville Ky. Struggling

1 person likes this.
  10. deleted

deleted Guest

To @ScottT and all in Central Ky...If your area is not on fire this weekend, you are not holding your mouth right..lol. im near Louisville and its heating up fast around here right now.. get out there and dont give up !!

ScottT likes this.
  11. Freddiebeartn

Freddiebeartn Morel Enthusiast

Hey brother, keep that spirit alive

2 people like this.
  12. deleted

deleted Guest

Chris, 98% are not going to be exactly forthcoming about where they hunt..just a fact.
    Do this, go to google maps for Louisville or whatever place of interest to you...zoom out until you can see state parks or any larger area that is wooded. find a road that will get you close to an entry point and start there. its going to be hit or miss (mostly miss..lol) but if you are new..thats just the way it is pal. if it happens to have a farm or residence on it, dont be afraid to knock on doors and ask if they would let you hunt, even offer up a share of the booty if necessary.
    Almost everybody starts out blindfolded, just the way it is. it can take more than one season to gather enough spots for you to return to season after season.
    Hope this gives you a fresh idea or two on how to proceed finding areas to hunt..most important thing is to not get discouraged on your first season here. most first season hunters are very lucky to find a meal or two right out of the shoot. good luck sir..Vern

13. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Been watching this forum for a while and seems to have taken off. This makes my fourth year hunting, first with 0, second with 1, third with my first nice patch found and about 30 shrooms. This year seems to have me in a fever. I checked my patch again yesterday with no luck, checked a good football field radius around it too. I live in Gallatin County, North of Louisville. I'm still new to this sport so I have questions also. So once you find a patch....are they guaranteed to grow back year after year?? Of course I cut them at the base and carried a sack with holes for the spores to redistribute!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  14. Richard Hollandsworth

Richard Hollandsworth Young Morel

Love jungle Jims. Best grocery ever

15. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I wish it was guaranteed but its not unfortunately. Most years you can be fairly confident that a patch or an area that has produced in the past will most likely produce again. However, this year has not been one of those years for me and many others. I have patches that I have picked for close to 20 years and they just keep on doing their thing. I have found new patches that I have checked for years after the initial discovery and nothing at all in subsequent years. I have 1 sycamore tree on my farm that I check every season and I may find 1 or 2 big yellows there, nothing for 3-4 years and then 1-2 more in later years! Its a mystery to me that I find both intriguing, exciting and frustrating depending upon the season. Good luck!

16. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Wife and I got out yesterday in the areas that I picked Monday in the rain and it rained most of the day Tuesday. I was hoping to find a 2nd flush of big yellows. Wife 1- Me zero and it appeared to be one I just didn't see on Monday. Btw, one of the patches I checked Monday and yesterday always produces a few big yellows. Nothing in that patch this year.

1 person likes this.
  17. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

A follow up to this night. Several of us were also having a few drinks/beers with our dinner. One person ended up consuming many morels and several drinks and became sick (vomiting) later that night and the granddaughter's tummy got a little upset but not sick. Evidently, some people can experience a reaction from the morel/alcohol combination and also over consuming morels. These were all cooked thoroughly so I know that wasn't the issue. Just a word of caution. 1st time I have ever experienced anyone getting sick after consuming true morels.

ian likes this.
  18. deleted

deleted Guest

Welcome aboard my friend, im in the Louisville area myself. to answer your question..i have several spots that produce year after year after year. two years ago i had two prime spots just suddenly drop completely dead. finally this year one spot started to produce again, found six there a couple of day ago. so it happens but for the most part you will find most every year. hope this helps a bit...good luck

19. deleted

deleted Guest

Well just got back home from my hunt. three days in a row three hunts and three finds, havent been skunked so far knock on wood..lol.
    Invited paula-joy over to hunt with me in the Louisville area. she had never found one in her life..she lit up like a Christmas tree when she spotted her first one. we had a nice time and found a few..
    She is dying to find some spots to hunt or someone to hunt with, real nice lady so keep that in mind. IMG_20180427_163339033.jpg

20. deleted

deleted Guest

wow, two years in a row my brother flew in to hunt with me and both times he got deathly ill, puked his guts up for three hours and sick for two days. first time, thought it was something else..food poisoning or something. second year it was obvious it was the shrooms..crazy