2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Freddiebeartn

Freddiebeartn Morel Enthusiast

Hey brother, keep that spirit alive

2 people like this.
  2. deleted

deleted Guest

Chris, 98% are not going to be exactly forthcoming about where they hunt..just a fact.
    Do this, go to google maps for Louisville or whatever place of interest to you...zoom out until you can see state parks or any larger area that is wooded. find a road that will get you close to an entry point and start there. its going to be hit or miss (mostly miss..lol) but if you are new..thats just the way it is pal. if it happens to have a farm or residence on it, dont be afraid to knock on doors and ask if they would let you hunt, even offer up a share of the booty if necessary.
    Almost everybody starts out blindfolded, just the way it is. it can take more than one season to gather enough spots for you to return to season after season.
    Hope this gives you a fresh idea or two on how to proceed finding areas to hunt..most important thing is to not get discouraged on your first season here. most first season hunters are very lucky to find a meal or two right out of the shoot. good luck sir..Vern

3. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Been watching this forum for a while and seems to have taken off. This makes my fourth year hunting, first with 0, second with 1, third with my first nice patch found and about 30 shrooms. This year seems to have me in a fever. I checked my patch again yesterday with no luck, checked a good football field radius around it too. I live in Gallatin County, North of Louisville. I'm still new to this sport so I have questions also. So once you find a patch....are they guaranteed to grow back year after year?? Of course I cut them at the base and carried a sack with holes for the spores to redistribute!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  4. Richard Hollandsworth

Richard Hollandsworth Young Morel

Love jungle Jims. Best grocery ever

5. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I wish it was guaranteed but its not unfortunately. Most years you can be fairly confident that a patch or an area that has produced in the past will most likely produce again. However, this year has not been one of those years for me and many others. I have patches that I have picked for close to 20 years and they just keep on doing their thing. I have found new patches that I have checked for years after the initial discovery and nothing at all in subsequent years. I have 1 sycamore tree on my farm that I check every season and I may find 1 or 2 big yellows there, nothing for 3-4 years and then 1-2 more in later years! Its a mystery to me that I find both intriguing, exciting and frustrating depending upon the season. Good luck!

6. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Wife and I got out yesterday in the areas that I picked Monday in the rain and it rained most of the day Tuesday. I was hoping to find a 2nd flush of big yellows. Wife 1- Me zero and it appeared to be one I just didn't see on Monday. Btw, one of the patches I checked Monday and yesterday always produces a few big yellows. Nothing in that patch this year.

1 person likes this.
  7. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

A follow up to this night. Several of us were also having a few drinks/beers with our dinner. One person ended up consuming many morels and several drinks and became sick (vomiting) later that night and the granddaughter's tummy got a little upset but not sick. Evidently, some people can experience a reaction from the morel/alcohol combination and also over consuming morels. These were all cooked thoroughly so I know that wasn't the issue. Just a word of caution. 1st time I have ever experienced anyone getting sick after consuming true morels.

ian likes this.
  8. deleted

deleted Guest

Welcome aboard my friend, im in the Louisville area myself. to answer your question..i have several spots that produce year after year after year. two years ago i had two prime spots just suddenly drop completely dead. finally this year one spot started to produce again, found six there a couple of day ago. so it happens but for the most part you will find most every year. hope this helps a bit...good luck

9. deleted

deleted Guest

Well just got back home from my hunt. three days in a row three hunts and three finds, havent been skunked so far knock on wood..lol.
    Invited paula-joy over to hunt with me in the Louisville area. she had never found one in her life..she lit up like a Christmas tree when she spotted her first one. we had a nice time and found a few..
    She is dying to find some spots to hunt or someone to hunt with, real nice lady so keep that in mind. IMG_20180427_163339033.jpg

10. deleted

deleted Guest

wow, two years in a row my brother flew in to hunt with me and both times he got deathly ill, puked his guts up for three hours and sick for two days. first time, thought it was something else..food poisoning or something. second year it was obvious it was the shrooms..crazy

11. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Found eight this evening along the Rockcastle river in the Mt Victory area of Pulaski County. It was strange found around 5 more beyond picking and I was in here about a week ago and never saw them. FYI they where in an area of a lot of young sycamore and hemlock trees just above the flood plain here are some picks couple where a little dry

Attached Files:

Nasdaq and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Jacob Meadows

Jacob Meadows Morel Enthusiast

Couldn’t agree more with you Vern! It took me four seasons and a lot of online research. This is forum a good starting point.

2 people like this.
  13. deleted

deleted Guest

Thanks Jacob and welcome to the forum pal. i wish a few more experienced hunters here on this new Ky forum would listen to those new folks who are asking for help and jump in. makes me feel good.

SSgt.CWhite likes this.
  14. deleted

deleted Guest

Guys and Gals..myself and Nutsac got this Ky forum started from scratch this year and it has developed quite a following so far. one thing is missing though. when you ask for help or someone offers good advice that helps you...click the like button once in a while please. it tells that person that you got some good info and appreciated there help. it makes the poster feel good that a fellow shroomer got something out of it...but he wont know unless you let him know...Thanks, Vern

ScottT, Nelson, SSgt.CWhite and 7 others like this.
  15. deleted

deleted Guest

@Paula-Joy , here is a google map of your area. i pinned a few areas that i thought you might like to check out. ...good luck.
    Had a great time hunting with you today..;)
    paula-joy.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Paula-Joy, TJC, Mushoom18 and 3 others like this.
  16. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

i love beer with my morels lol. were they blacks iv heard of beer and black morels being a bad combination.. I ate a full plate of I guess grey morels on top of plenty of beer and was fine tho.

Pongo805 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

Sycamores and River-birch trees

18. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

468E667F-EB6D-4B76-9FD7-ACF0CE99875E.jpeg 6 of us found 191 today. We had a mushroom fry for everyone.

19. deleted

deleted Guest

wow, never seen stems that long before. awesome job. what county were you in please.

20. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Mitsy you have to get off that beaten path won’t find many or any at all where folks travel a lot but you might get lucky but get down in the woods look around. Sycamores are good so are ash and tulip poplars I usually hunt along creeks and rivers at the flood plain or just above it. The big yellow morels are often found in areas like that good luck and keep on hunting.

ScottT and (deleted member) like this.