2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Found eight this evening along the Rockcastle river in the Mt Victory area of Pulaski County. It was strange found around 5 more beyond picking and I was in here about a week ago and never saw them. FYI they where in an area of a lot of young sycamore and hemlock trees just above the flood plain here are some picks couple where a little dry

Attached Files:

Nasdaq and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jacob Meadows

Jacob Meadows Young Morel

Couldn’t agree more with you Vern! It took me four seasons and a lot of online research. This is forum a good starting point.

2 people like this.

3. deleted

deleted Guest

Thanks Jacob and welcome to the forum pal. i wish a few more experienced hunters here on this new Ky forum would listen to those new folks who are asking for help and jump in. makes me feel good.

SSgt.CWhite likes this.
  4. deleted

deleted Guest

Guys and Gals..myself and Nutsac got this Ky forum started from scratch this year and it has developed quite a following so far. one thing is missing though. when you ask for help or someone offers good advice that helps you...click the like button once in a while please. it tells that person that you got some good info and appreciated there help. it makes the poster feel good that a fellow shroomer got something out of it...but he wont know unless you let him know...Thanks, Vern

ScottT, Nelson, SSgt.CWhite and 7 others like this.
  5. deleted

deleted Guest

@Paula-Joy , here is a google map of your area. i pinned a few areas that i thought you might like to check out. ...good luck.
    Had a great time hunting with you today..;)
    paula-joy.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Paula-Joy, TJC, Mushoom18 and 3 others like this.
  6. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

i love beer with my morels lol. were they blacks iv heard of beer and black morels being a bad combination.. I ate a full plate of I guess grey morels on top of plenty of beer and was fine tho.

Pongo805 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

Sycamores and River-birch trees

8. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

468E667F-EB6D-4B76-9FD7-ACF0CE99875E.jpeg 6 of us found 191 today. We had a mushroom fry for everyone.

9. deleted

deleted Guest

wow, never seen stems that long before. awesome job. what county were you in please.

10. Pongo805

Mitsy you have to get off that beaten path won’t find many or any at all where folks travel a lot but you might get lucky but get down in the woods look around. Sycamores are good so are ash and tulip poplars I usually hunt along creeks and rivers at the flood plain or just above it. The big yellow morels are often found in areas like that good luck and keep on hunting.

ScottT and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Pongo805

That’s an awesome find can you describe the area you found in such as the trees near water bottom land etc. Finds like that make me want to stay in the woods 24/7

12. Pongo805

Sorry mitsy got the poster wrong on that reply I guess you really do get deep in the woods awesome.

Mitsy and Redbird.river like this.
  13. Sky

Sky Young Morel

Mason county and Fleming county

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  14. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

No blacks, all Big fresh yellows.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  15. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I’m in Hart this morning checking my patches that grow the smaller greys and yellows and I guess they are a bust here this year. I have only found 1 in these patches this year so far. Guessing they may have froze just as they were getting ready to fruit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  16. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I did find this lonely big yellow one earlier this morning.
    A787ADFF-BBF4-4695-B5F8-13C176EB759A.jpeg

17. deleted

deleted Guest

Welcome aboard Sky and thanks for sharing your info with us and nice find pal

18. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

I'm wishing everyone good luck this beautiful day, unfortunately my back went out Wednesday evening and I can barely walk so no woods for me. Hopefully what's out there will still be okay when I'm able to get back out. Good luck shroomin folks!

1 person likes this.
  19. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Anyone ever hunted in Mammoth Cave? If so is it a good area to look for shrooms? I know you can they have rules just didn't know if it was worth the drive

2 people like this.
  20. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

You're killing it! Nice job!!

Mitsy and (deleted member) like this.