2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

That’s an awesome find can you describe the area you found in such as the trees near water bottom land etc. Finds like that make me want to stay in the woods 24/7

2. Pongo805

Sorry mitsy got the poster wrong on that reply I guess you really do get deep in the woods awesome.

Mitsy and Redbird.river like this.

3. Sky

Sky Young Morel

Mason county and Fleming county

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  4. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

No blacks, all Big fresh yellows.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  5. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I’m in Hart this morning checking my patches that grow the smaller greys and yellows and I guess they are a bust here this year. I have only found 1 in these patches this year so far. Guessing they may have froze just as they were getting ready to fruit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  6. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I did find this lonely big yellow one earlier this morning.
    A787ADFF-BBF4-4695-B5F8-13C176EB759A.jpeg

7. deleted

deleted Guest

Welcome aboard Sky and thanks for sharing your info with us and nice find pal

8. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

I'm wishing everyone good luck this beautiful day, unfortunately my back went out Wednesday evening and I can barely walk so no woods for me. Hopefully what's out there will still be okay when I'm able to get back out. Good luck shroomin folks!

1 person likes this.
  9. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Anyone ever hunted in Mammoth Cave? If so is it a good area to look for shrooms? I know you can they have rules just didn't know if it was worth the drive

2 people like this.
  10. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

You're killing it! Nice job!!

Mitsy and (deleted member) like this.
  11. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Checking in from Graves County... Not much to report lol. Its just a rough year (unless you're Mitsy lol) so far only one half free today

Nasdaq and (deleted member) like this.
  12. deleted

deleted Guest

never been there but have heard a lot of good things about it though. you might ask on the Ky board.

T tom likes this.
  13. Pongo805

Found 8 more yellows today same place just a little closer to river bank a couple were only about 1 1/2 inch looked really fresh and new I think we still have a couple of more weeks left spring has just now sprung here in southern/southeast area of state. I’ve also checked a couple more spots and nada going to give it a few more days and check again. Happy hunting

2 people like this.
  14. tertmagert

tertmagert Young Morel

Howdy Fam,

I went out this week in a few different areas around Jefferson County. South of town, in town, west of town. Not a single bit of luck. I checked near creek bottoms and above them as well hillsides away from creek bottoms. I see lilacs blooming and may apples everywhere. Ive been around Ash and tons of Tulip poplar. No luck. Is it just a terrible season? Still too early? Is jefferson county bad for shroomin?

Thanks all,

2 people like this.
  15. deleted

deleted Guest

Welcome to our board pal..i live just south in clark county and things are starting out nicely here. you ever tried Clifty fall park ? went once last year and had no luck at all.

16. deleted

deleted Guest

oops wrong board...thought you meant Indiana..lol

17. Tony&Toni

Tony&Toni Morel Enthusiast

18. Tony&Toni

Tony&Toni Morel Enthusiast

Well, your assessment was accurate. We found 2, big, fresh whites 1st day out in Bath Co and that's it. Finding those made us think "this is it", but 3 days covering ground that yielded over 300 last year produced nadda

1 person likes this.
  19. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I typically do really well in Jefferson picking spots that have been productive the past 10-12 years except this year is really down. The big yellows are probably going to be all but finished in Jefferson in the next week or so. I ended up finding 4 yellows in Hart today, 2 that were starting to turn a little brown.

20. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Picking can be good in the Park during good seasons. I hunted my farm today that is 1 mile outside the Park boundary and found 3 big yellows in a creek bottom and 1 small yellow on a ridge that in a good year may produce 100 of the small yellow and greys. That was the 1st one found on that particular ridge. Great day to be out in the woods.

Pongo805 likes this.