2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Still no shrooms?

I haven't been to this yet but was planning on goi tomorrow.
    I need to get this morel bags inked and sewn first because I can't stand hunting morels or doing anything else when I have pending orders.

However you guys should go check it out and let me know how it is!

It's a MOREL Mushroom Festival in Kentucky!

Today April the 28th and tomorrow Sunday the 29th
    Here is the link to the website.

http://mountainmushroomfestival.org/

I hear @vern hides in the bushes and listens In On everybody's conversations about their Honey Holes.

If anybody has ever been before, let me ( and the forum ) know how it is.

Also I was wondering if they would let me barter/trade my bags with the vendors for some of their wares.?

Lastly, it seems like a great night to go hunt shrooms!

Get to the woods or the festival !

Good luck!

2. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Just got back from Mammoth Cave, Barren River Lake and a private wood lot. Struck out on all 3. Not a good year for me.

1 person likes this.

3. ScottT

ScottT Morel Enthusiast

All I can say is “WOW”!
    Great job, still looking for my first!

Mitsy likes this.
  4. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

Greetings Morel Fans!

I grew up loving to hunt morels in Indiana! I moved to Lexington, KY and haven’t had a chance to hunt here yet? Does anyone on the forum have suggestions of general area near Lexington to hunt? By no means do I want your honey holes... just looking for some tips on potential areas so my wife and I can have the thrill of the hunt and possibly a tasty treat to go with dinner. Thanks in advance for the tips & May the Magic of the Morel be with you!

2 people like this.
  5. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

The trees were sycamores, poplar and river-birch. Sandy creekside soil that gets flooded a lot each year. The south side of the creek had smaller morels and the north side ones were larger

6. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

Floyd County

1 person likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Guest

hay, i think that you forgot to include those GPS coordinates there kiddo...lol help an old man out,:cool:

SSgt.CWhite, Mitsy, Nelson and 2 others like this.
  8. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks again awesome morel find those kind of finds make it all worth while the trees and soil are key though not many river birch around my area

Mitsy, Paula-Joy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. deleted

deleted Guest

Matt, welcome aboard my friends. these guys have been pretty lock lipped around here but mabie some might help get you on the right track i hope. i live in the Louisville area just across the bridge in Ind. so not much help from me i afraid. find some trees and see what happens pal..lol

Pongo805 likes this.
  10. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Thinking the same thing Vern. In our dreams I guess

1 person likes this.
  11. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. Every mushroom I found last year (all 30) came off the same hillside so I'm disappointed that not one has spring as of yet. These pictures have me so hungry for morels. I'm going to check again tomorrow, oddly enough the undergrowth is not where it was last year either. My hillside is just greening up and last year I was cutting down briars to make my way through. I plan on doing a ton of walking tomorrow so hopefully I can fill my belly.

Redbird.river likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Guest

well i caught a few today near Louisville just across the bridge. im four for four so far, hope i can keep it up but its tough goin, took several hours but was a beautiful day.
    IMG_20180429_174644141.jpg IMG_20180429_173428159.jpg IMG_20180429_134642148.jpg

Attached Files:

13. ScottT

ScottT Morel Enthusiast

I grew up in Lexington but didn’t hunt morels then, but one area that might hold morels is a place called Raven Run Sanctuary out Old Richmond Road. It has some hiking trails thru the woods that you can get off of and explore rotting logs or creek bottoms and on top of that there is a fantastic view overlooking the Kentucky River at one point.
    Good Luck!

14. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

I'm about to hang up my boots for this season. Last year 12 lb. patch - this year 4 singles; last year 2 lb. patch - this year found one. Had minimal success with a few big yellows and a dozen fresh small grey and yellows over the weekend.
    I'm not saying its his fault, but I blame Matt Bevin (satire strongly emphasized).

1 person likes this.
  15. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

This weekend's finds.
    Jefferson County

Attached Files:

Paula-Joy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. deleted

deleted Guest

We should have all voted for Al Gore back in the day..by now he would have solved the global warming thang fixed and golden shrooms would be on every dinner plate..:cool:

17. Ajhosmer

Ajhosmer Morel Enthusiast

I live out in Laurel Co. I took my son today and found one single one. Lol. But considering last year was our first year doing so, I think we're up.
    Has the season passed? Is it to late.

ian, Pongo805 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. deleted

deleted Guest

welcome to our forum my friend. no the season is not nearly over. still a couple of weeks or more.
    it came about ten days late due to the weather patterns. finding has been hit and miss everywhere this year. i found twelve just today so find some woods grab your boy and give um hell..lol

19. Matt_halvorson

Thanks! We hit Raven Run and struck out today! But... we were looking around sycamores and after some internet research when we got home we realized we should have been searching for elms! In your experience whag are the best trees for finding morels?

20. Matt_halvorson

My wife Lauren & I hit Raven Run today for about 4 hours and 6.5 miles but no luck for morels... but it was a gorgeous day for a hike and the lilacs were in full bloom! So I think we’re just looking in the wrong areas or around the wrong species of trees! We’re bound and dtermined to fjnd enough (5-10) for one or 2 dinners this year! Thanks for the reply!

1 person likes this.