2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Checking in from Graves County... Not much to report lol. Its just a rough year (unless you're Mitsy lol) so far only one half free today

Nasdaq and (deleted member) like this.
  2. deleted

deleted Guest

never been there but have heard a lot of good things about it though. you might ask on the Ky board.

T tom likes this.

3. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Found 8 more yellows today same place just a little closer to river bank a couple were only about 1 1/2 inch looked really fresh and new I think we still have a couple of more weeks left spring has just now sprung here in southern/southeast area of state. I’ve also checked a couple more spots and nada going to give it a few more days and check again. Happy hunting

2 people like this.
  4. tertmagert

tertmagert Young Morel

Howdy Fam,

I went out this week in a few different areas around Jefferson County. South of town, in town, west of town. Not a single bit of luck. I checked near creek bottoms and above them as well hillsides away from creek bottoms. I see lilacs blooming and may apples everywhere. Ive been around Ash and tons of Tulip poplar. No luck. Is it just a terrible season? Still too early? Is jefferson county bad for shroomin?

Thanks all,

2 people like this.
  5. deleted

deleted Guest

Welcome to our board pal..i live just south in clark county and things are starting out nicely here. you ever tried Clifty fall park ? went once last year and had no luck at all.

6. deleted

deleted Guest

oops wrong board...thought you meant Indiana..lol

7. Tony&Toni

Tony&Toni Morel Enthusiast

8. Tony&Toni

Tony&Toni Morel Enthusiast

Well, your assessment was accurate. We found 2, big, fresh whites 1st day out in Bath Co and that's it. Finding those made us think "this is it", but 3 days covering ground that yielded over 300 last year produced nadda

1 person likes this.
  9. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I typically do really well in Jefferson picking spots that have been productive the past 10-12 years except this year is really down. The big yellows are probably going to be all but finished in Jefferson in the next week or so. I ended up finding 4 yellows in Hart today, 2 that were starting to turn a little brown.

10. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Picking can be good in the Park during good seasons. I hunted my farm today that is 1 mile outside the Park boundary and found 3 big yellows in a creek bottom and 1 small yellow on a ridge that in a good year may produce 100 of the small yellow and greys. That was the 1st one found on that particular ridge. Great day to be out in the woods.

Pongo805 likes this.
  11. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Still no shrooms?

I haven't been to this yet but was planning on goi tomorrow.
    I need to get this morel bags inked and sewn first because I can't stand hunting morels or doing anything else when I have pending orders.

However you guys should go check it out and let me know how it is!

It's a MOREL Mushroom Festival in Kentucky!

Today April the 28th and tomorrow Sunday the 29th
    Here is the link to the website.

http://mountainmushroomfestival.org/

I hear @vern hides in the bushes and listens In On everybody's conversations about their Honey Holes.

If anybody has ever been before, let me ( and the forum ) know how it is.

Also I was wondering if they would let me barter/trade my bags with the vendors for some of their wares.?

Lastly, it seems like a great night to go hunt shrooms!

Get to the woods or the festival !

Good luck!

12. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Just got back from Mammoth Cave, Barren River Lake and a private wood lot. Struck out on all 3. Not a good year for me.

1 person likes this.
  13. ScottT

ScottT Morel Enthusiast

All I can say is “WOW”!
    Great job, still looking for my first!

Mitsy likes this.
  14. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

Greetings Morel Fans!

I grew up loving to hunt morels in Indiana! I moved to Lexington, KY and haven’t had a chance to hunt here yet? Does anyone on the forum have suggestions of general area near Lexington to hunt? By no means do I want your honey holes... just looking for some tips on potential areas so my wife and I can have the thrill of the hunt and possibly a tasty treat to go with dinner. Thanks in advance for the tips & May the Magic of the Morel be with you!

2 people like this.
  15. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

The trees were sycamores, poplar and river-birch. Sandy creekside soil that gets flooded a lot each year. The south side of the creek had smaller morels and the north side ones were larger

16. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

Floyd County

1 person likes this.
  17. deleted

deleted Guest

hay, i think that you forgot to include those GPS coordinates there kiddo...lol help an old man out,:cool:

SSgt.CWhite, Mitsy, Nelson and 2 others like this.
  18. Pongo805

Thanks again awesome morel find those kind of finds make it all worth while the trees and soil are key though not many river birch around my area

Mitsy, Paula-Joy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. deleted

deleted Guest

Matt, welcome aboard my friends. these guys have been pretty lock lipped around here but mabie some might help get you on the right track i hope. i live in the Louisville area just across the bridge in Ind. so not much help from me i afraid. find some trees and see what happens pal..lol

Pongo805 likes this.
  20. Pongo805

Thinking the same thing Vern. In our dreams I guess

1 person likes this.