2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. Every mushroom I found last year (all 30) came off the same hillside so I'm disappointed that not one has spring as of yet. These pictures have me so hungry for morels. I'm going to check again tomorrow, oddly enough the undergrowth is not where it was last year either. My hillside is just greening up and last year I was cutting down briars to make my way through. I plan on doing a ton of walking tomorrow so hopefully I can fill my belly.

Redbird.river likes this.
  2. deleted

deleted Guest

well i caught a few today near Louisville just across the bridge. im four for four so far, hope i can keep it up but its tough goin, took several hours but was a beautiful day.
    IMG_20180429_174644141.jpg IMG_20180429_173428159.jpg IMG_20180429_134642148.jpg

Attached Files:

3. ScottT

ScottT Morel Enthusiast

I grew up in Lexington but didn’t hunt morels then, but one area that might hold morels is a place called Raven Run Sanctuary out Old Richmond Road. It has some hiking trails thru the woods that you can get off of and explore rotting logs or creek bottoms and on top of that there is a fantastic view overlooking the Kentucky River at one point.
    Good Luck!

4. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

I'm about to hang up my boots for this season. Last year 12 lb. patch - this year 4 singles; last year 2 lb. patch - this year found one. Had minimal success with a few big yellows and a dozen fresh small grey and yellows over the weekend.
    I'm not saying its his fault, but I blame Matt Bevin (satire strongly emphasized).

1 person likes this.
  5. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

This weekend's finds.
    Jefferson County

Attached Files:

Paula-Joy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. deleted

deleted Guest

We should have all voted for Al Gore back in the day..by now he would have solved the global warming thang fixed and golden shrooms would be on every dinner plate..:cool:

7. Ajhosmer

Ajhosmer Morel Enthusiast

I live out in Laurel Co. I took my son today and found one single one. Lol. But considering last year was our first year doing so, I think we're up.
    Has the season passed? Is it to late.

ian, Pongo805 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. deleted

deleted Guest

welcome to our forum my friend. no the season is not nearly over. still a couple of weeks or more.
    it came about ten days late due to the weather patterns. finding has been hit and miss everywhere this year. i found twelve just today so find some woods grab your boy and give um hell..lol

9. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

Thanks! We hit Raven Run and struck out today! But... we were looking around sycamores and after some internet research when we got home we realized we should have been searching for elms! In your experience whag are the best trees for finding morels?

10. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

My wife Lauren & I hit Raven Run today for about 4 hours and 6.5 miles but no luck for morels... but it was a gorgeous day for a hike and the lilacs were in full bloom! So I think we’re just looking in the wrong areas or around the wrong species of trees! We’re bound and dtermined to fjnd enough (5-10) for one or 2 dinners this year! Thanks for the reply!

1 person likes this.
  11. deleted

deleted Guest

ill tell you buddy, for starters, i love a big pine Forrest. i find everything there, its like Walmart to me..lol. but its true, around here i guess you would have to say that Elm is the tree of choice. my best single tree in the Forest that i hunt is a Poplar. when i found it, there were fifty yellows under it. that was five years ago and still going strong. ill let some others here to talk tree with you, not my best topic..lol. you are going through the correct process to start a long and prosperous shroom hunting career. use what time is left of this season to lay some groundwork for next year and who knows, you may even get to woof down a few shroom dinners..Good luck to you sir and keep us apprised of what you learn and find..;)

12. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Matt Sycamores along with elms are a good trees for morels also tulip poplars ash and old apple trees, but I can tell you I’ve found them in pines and cedars. I would concentrate on the elms if they are dying low lying areas on the north side ,flood plains along creeks and streams drains coming off the north hill sides hope this helps

13. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

I'm not sure who made the post a few days ago about looking in commercial orchards but, don't waste your time. Commercial orchards are sprayed with round up to kill part of the blossoms, if not, they over produce and end up with small apples. My son inlaws family have one in Rising Sun and told me he's never seen a morel in it.

14. Paula-Joy

Paula-Joy Morel Enthusiast

amazing!

Mitsy and Terry c like this.
  15. Paula-Joy

I live across the line in Shelby co. This is my first season hunting. Assisted ;) I found my first. Unassisted, still to find one. I can recognize a Cedar tree now! Baby steps, but feeling successful. Vern sent me suggestions--except I am still learning to navigate this site, struggling to post pics. The eating of the morels was a story in itself. I'll figure it all out. Thanks to all who are willing to help and share, especially Vern who actually SHARED. Only thing I haven't enjoyed....ticks. Isn't going to stop me.

T tom, ScottT, Redbird.river and 2 others like this.
  16. Paula-Joy

great haul. Wish I could be in two places one time, and I'd have asked to tag along. Sorry getting to the board and sharing takes me so long and still can't make my phone cooperate. I like morel hunting 100x more than computer navigating. And feel more successful at morels after Friday. If you posted our find pictures, I haven't found them yet. patience i am / have with the process ;)

17. Paula-Joy

how was it?

1 person likes this.
  18. Paula-Joy

looking at map scratching head ;(

1 person likes this.
  19. Paula-Joy

i am not salivating....much ;)

T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Nelson

Nelson Young Morel

Went out yesterday for 4 hours in Boone County. Three of us and we only found 9 total. All of them were pretty small, 2-3 inches.

1 person likes this.