2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. deleted

deleted Guest

ill tell you buddy, for starters, i love a big pine Forrest. i find everything there, its like Walmart to me..lol. but its true, around here i guess you would have to say that Elm is the tree of choice. my best single tree in the Forest that i hunt is a Poplar. when i found it, there were fifty yellows under it. that was five years ago and still going strong. ill let some others here to talk tree with you, not my best topic..lol. you are going through the correct process to start a long and prosperous shroom hunting career. use what time is left of this season to lay some groundwork for next year and who knows, you may even get to woof down a few shroom dinners..Good luck to you sir and keep us apprised of what you learn and find..;)

2. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Matt Sycamores along with elms are a good trees for morels also tulip poplars ash and old apple trees, but I can tell you I’ve found them in pines and cedars. I would concentrate on the elms if they are dying low lying areas on the north side ,flood plains along creeks and streams drains coming off the north hill sides hope this helps

3. Paula-Joy

Paula-Joy Morel Enthusiast

amazing!

Mitsy and Terry c like this.
  4. Paula-Joy

I live across the line in Shelby co. This is my first season hunting. Assisted ;) I found my first. Unassisted, still to find one. I can recognize a Cedar tree now! Baby steps, but feeling successful. Vern sent me suggestions--except I am still learning to navigate this site, struggling to post pics. The eating of the morels was a story in itself. I'll figure it all out. Thanks to all who are willing to help and share, especially Vern who actually SHARED. Only thing I haven't enjoyed....ticks. Isn't going to stop me.

T tom, ScottT, Redbird.river and 2 others like this.
  5. Paula-Joy

great haul. Wish I could be in two places one time, and I'd have asked to tag along. Sorry getting to the board and sharing takes me so long and still can't make my phone cooperate. I like morel hunting 100x more than computer navigating. And feel more successful at morels after Friday. If you posted our find pictures, I haven't found them yet. patience i am / have with the process ;)

6. Paula-Joy

how was it?

1 person likes this.
  7. Paula-Joy

looking at map scratching head ;(

1 person likes this.
  8. Paula-Joy

i am not salivating....much ;)

T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Nelson

Nelson Young Morel

Went out yesterday for 4 hours in Boone County. Three of us and we only found 9 total. All of them were pretty small, 2-3 inches.

1 person likes this.
  10. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

The hunting has really been tough this year not only in Jefferson county but also central and western KY. I will try a couple of more times this weeks before the killing heat on Wednesday and Thursday. I did manage to find 6 more yellows in Hart this weekend, 2 of those being past prime. The little greys and yellows have been really tough to find this year.

11. MorelMorals

MorelMorals Young Morel

I'm in green county, south central party of ky, we've found around 160 so far

12. Redbird.river

Redbird.river Morel Enthusiast

You will have to send me some of yours. I have only found 4 this whole year and nothing the past two weeks ago. I lost one of those and one of them was frost bit. I have walked my socks off here in Jackson and Clay Counties! No kidding, I would love to hunt with you some time! There is always next year.

ian and (deleted member) like this.
  13. johnhenry

johnhenry Morel Enthusiast

No luck for you either, huh? Best I can tell you are the closest on the forum to me geographically. I'm hunting in McCracken Co and right across the river in IL too (Massac, Pulaski, and 1 trip up to the Shawnee in Pope Co). I'm still skunked for the year and now it's May. Have hunted at least 3 hours on April 14, 15, 21, 22, 26, 29. Have put in a solid 25 hours I'd say. I know that places just a little north of us are in full swing. We had at least 3 times where it got warm and then dropped back below freezing. I'm still hoping the season is delayed and not a dud. We've definitely been wet enough.... I think. I've been hearing similar tales from the other locals. Most of those who are known to come home with several pounds are finding a handful at best. Any others from far western KY or far Southern IL care to share results?

1 person likes this.
  14. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

laurel co. also. there still up places with more sun are done with focuse on cooler shady areas. creek bottoms is where I'm finding right now. found some Saturday that was dryed up then turned around a few feet away and got a mess of perfict ones.

15. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

well folks I know seasons about done with id like to just say that this is a awesome website glad to be part of it. and I have had a decent season probably one of the best ones yet. still never found no truck load or any thing, but have had plenty to eat all spring. ate till I was sick last night. I think by this weekend will finish up the season its dry and hot all week long. still cant post pics I got a old phone that taking pics is the most high tech thing that it does I cant even put pics on facebook. and a question if soil temp is what makes them grow then why don't the come up in the fall when the soil temp drops back down to the 50s and 60s?

Pongo805 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Mitsy

Mitsy Morel Enthusiast

Look hanging off the side of the creek banks

17. ScottT

ScottT Morel Enthusiast

Sorry you didn’t find anything today, but glad you had a nice day out. That was the only public place around Lexington that ai thought might have a good chance of holding any. Outside of Fayette county you might look at driving out Richmond Road till you make it to the Kentucky River and navigate some of the forested areas there. If you know where Hall’s on the River is at, there was an old trail at the back parking lot that leads up a feeder creek that might also be a good place to look. As for the trees I have heard so many different kinds now I am not for sure there is a pattern.
    Good Luck!

18. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Went out all day yesterday in Gallatin county, checked my spots and covered lots of new ground and still no luck!! Last year I picked on April 21, and they were near their last week, one had already burned. If the 10 day delay is accurate, I should have had a good day yesterday. Still the underbrush here is inconclusive to past morel seasons, so I'm wondering if my area in particular will even produce. Will there come a point when the sun is to hot to grow them? I'm so in a fever!!

1 person likes this.
  19. deleted

deleted Guest

Its only obvious...they know a real man when they see one..;)

SSgt.CWhite and T tom like this.
  20. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Unfortunately these 80 degree days with full sun will push the soil temps past the range that new morels can pop in most areas of KY with Eastern KY possibly being the exception. The other bad news is this heat is really going to speed up the maturing of the ones already up. I’m pretty confident this week will be the end of the season for most of us in KY.