2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. couch potatoe

couch potatoe Young Morel

I live in Simpson Co.Been out 4 times have not found any, will be in Lexington Wed May 2nd and will test the hunting.

2. deleted

deleted Guest

i would be curious to know haw many people had a normal harvest this season..

Matt_halvorson likes this.

3. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Not even close to normal. I have found 94 for the entire season and I typically find 400-800 but last year was down also.

4. Skeeter

Skeeter Morel Enthusiast

Vern, I haven’t found a single mushroom yet! I’m in Rowan county & the vegetation here is just starting to take off in the trees. The undergrowth is still well behind. I’m still holding out that if we can get some rain late week as predicted, surely I can find a few this weekend. Btw... found just a shade under 400 last season in the same areas.

1 person likes this.
  5. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

I stayed home and worked on orders all day.

I will have to try and go to it next year

1 person likes this.
  6. deleted

deleted Guest

Man, where im at, the ground is still plenty damp from the huge rains a couple of weeks ago. i just spent five hrs hunting for eight shrooms..less than two an hour. grand total so far is about 45, last year wold have been more like 120. you got me cat..

7. deleted

deleted Guest

if you found big numbers like that of previous years, must be private property. never heard of anything like that in the Louisville area. two of the ones i found today were brand new growth so im not tossing in the towel just yet..lol. rain for Thursday so this weekend will do something i sure hope pal. hang in there

8. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Vern, was/is your season a bit soft this year? Pickin's down some?
    We should be good to go up in wisconie abt a week out my best guess.
    I'm so bored of scouting, that I went over to the Minn board & started the plastic bag vs mesh bag war, just for entertainment & of course the Minnesotans jumped in with both feet. Same O'le shit. Ha Ha

3 people like this.
  9. deleted

deleted Guest

lmao, down here in S. Ind. and Ky, most are crying the blues..very few are reporting a good year.
    i may have to travel north if things look good up there. Good luck this season my friend.

Chet huston and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Finally!! Found these just above the flood line on the north facing slopes of a few drainage ditches. Still a few hours left in the day!!
    Forgot to mention they were also growing from the roots of a dead elm.

Attached Files:

11. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Nice little find look pretty fresh what area of state are you in? I went a couple of hours today found 4 under huge poplar tree but to far gone to harvest I’m thinking it’s getting close to the end but I was high up on the hill side it also was the north side.

1 person likes this.
  12. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

I'm hitting the river once more tomarow morning. then I'm calling it for here in ky. might go to ohio this week end any thought on southern ohio this time of year. but the thing I look forward to after morel season is frog legs just as good and fun to me.

13. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Hey Ian how the season turn out for you? Not really good on my end Laurel Pulaski and Rockcastle found about 45 in total so I did have a few messes gave some away to some friends who had never eaten before. The season was really strange this year.

Chet huston, ian and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Shroomer-Tiff

I was lower down the hillside just following up the drainage ditch. Most were found near the bottom of the hill. A few of mine were nearing their end, had a few burn spots. I'm in Gallatin co. North of Louisville.

1 person likes this.
  15. deleted

deleted Guest

Paula-Joy came up to the Louisville area again today, we scrounged up seven, good news was two of them were only a couple of days old so im not giving up just yet. haven't been skunked yet..got my fingers and toes crossed that after the rain coming Friday, might still find a few.

Matt_halvorson and ian like this.
  16. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Usually 100-200 from public land in Jefferson and the rest from my farm in Hart.

1 person likes this.
  17. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

Well this is just the 3rd year iv been at it. But i cant complain Iv had plenty to eat this spring and found new spots. So thts whats its all about. I would have liked to found more. And i found a few every time I went but just a few. I hit a hot spot on the rc river then walked a mile up streem and down streem and never found another one. But for the most part I had lots of fun ate plenty so I would call it a decint season for me.

Pongo805, Mark67 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Shroomer-Tiff

I found quite a few yesterday. A couple had burns but they also were in a less shady area than the others. The grays I found were nearing their end but the yellows were definitely fresh. A few just a couple days old as you said. I would speculate, at least another week of good picking.

Chet huston and (deleted member) like this.
  19. deleted

deleted Guest

Good morning there ian, good attitude my friend. i stuffed my pie hole several times.
    win or loose...i love the hunt. what disappoints me most is not having a few to munch on for a couple of months. we have had some outstanding beautiful days this short spring and i enjoy every min. of it.
    What i am not looking forward to is the brutal hot steamy summer, mowing the grass, and its daylight till nine o'clock..lol. when its time to settle for the evening i dont like the sun shining..lol.
    if i could have two more decent hunts, i would feel much better about the close of the season.

ian and Pongo805 like this.
  20. deleted

deleted Guest

man i hope your right. I'm on the Kentuckiana border and as long as you guys are finding some, that means i should still be finding here.

Chet huston likes this.