2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. deleted

deleted Guest

lmao, down here in S. Ind. and Ky, most are crying the blues..very few are reporting a good year.
    i may have to travel north if things look good up there. Good luck this season my friend.

Chet huston and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Finally!! Found these just above the flood line on the north facing slopes of a few drainage ditches. Still a few hours left in the day!!
    Forgot to mention they were also growing from the roots of a dead elm.

Attached Files:

3. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Nice little find look pretty fresh what area of state are you in? I went a couple of hours today found 4 under huge poplar tree but to far gone to harvest I’m thinking it’s getting close to the end but I was high up on the hill side it also was the north side.

1 person likes this.
  4. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

I'm hitting the river once more tomarow morning. then I'm calling it for here in ky. might go to ohio this week end any thought on southern ohio this time of year. but the thing I look forward to after morel season is frog legs just as good and fun to me.

5. Pongo805

Hey Ian how the season turn out for you? Not really good on my end Laurel Pulaski and Rockcastle found about 45 in total so I did have a few messes gave some away to some friends who had never eaten before. The season was really strange this year.

Chet huston, ian and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Shroomer-Tiff

I was lower down the hillside just following up the drainage ditch. Most were found near the bottom of the hill. A few of mine were nearing their end, had a few burn spots. I'm in Gallatin co. North of Louisville.

1 person likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Guest

Paula-Joy came up to the Louisville area again today, we scrounged up seven, good news was two of them were only a couple of days old so im not giving up just yet. haven't been skunked yet..got my fingers and toes crossed that after the rain coming Friday, might still find a few.

Matt_halvorson and ian like this.
  8. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Usually 100-200 from public land in Jefferson and the rest from my farm in Hart.

1 person likes this.
  9. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

Well this is just the 3rd year iv been at it. But i cant complain Iv had plenty to eat this spring and found new spots. So thts whats its all about. I would have liked to found more. And i found a few every time I went but just a few. I hit a hot spot on the rc river then walked a mile up streem and down streem and never found another one. But for the most part I had lots of fun ate plenty so I would call it a decint season for me.

Pongo805, Mark67 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Shroomer-Tiff

I found quite a few yesterday. A couple had burns but they also were in a less shady area than the others. The grays I found were nearing their end but the yellows were definitely fresh. A few just a couple days old as you said. I would speculate, at least another week of good picking.

Chet huston and (deleted member) like this.
  11. deleted

deleted Guest

Good morning there ian, good attitude my friend. i stuffed my pie hole several times.
    win or loose...i love the hunt. what disappoints me most is not having a few to munch on for a couple of months. we have had some outstanding beautiful days this short spring and i enjoy every min. of it.
    What i am not looking forward to is the brutal hot steamy summer, mowing the grass, and its daylight till nine o'clock..lol. when its time to settle for the evening i dont like the sun shining..lol.
    if i could have two more decent hunts, i would feel much better about the close of the season.

ian and Pongo805 like this.
  12. deleted

deleted Guest

man i hope your right. I'm on the Kentuckiana border and as long as you guys are finding some, that means i should still be finding here.

Chet huston likes this.
  13. johnhenry

johnhenry Morel Enthusiast

Anyone care to help ID this tree? I think our season here is all but done, but a bad year forced me to try some new spots out of desperation. I found this tree yesterday in a new spot. Thanks...

IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0699.JPG

Mark67 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

Sure looks like an elm. About two years past prime. I find the most under the ones that died the previous year. The bark will still be tight, the small twigs will still be intact. No leaves.

Mark67, Terry c and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Mark67

Mark67 Morel Enthusiast

Guys and gals, NE KY is dead as a door nail! I've found 7 mushrooms this season on 8 trips out. Absolutely one of the worst seasons in my 25 years of Morel hunting. We've got rain coming Friday but I'm afraid it's too late. I'm not sure what happened this season but will figure it out after thinking on it a while.

Congratulations to the ones that had a decent season. I've enjoyed your posts and pics.

16. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I hear you Mark67. It has been my worst in the past 20 years. I don't know for sure what happened to this season because my areas seemed to have adequate and timely rains. I suspect the timing of the freezing temps that we had multiple times during the fruiting season had something to do with the lack of shrooms. I found a whopping 2 of the small grey/yellow types in spots that I have found 100's in the past. I just hope the folks that have just started hunting morels don't get too discouraged and give up on future seasons.

17. johnhenry

johnhenry Morel Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat in far Western KY and far Southern IL. We seemed to have plenty of moisture in the soil through the whole season. In fact, some of the low land may have been too wet. The swinging temps that kept dipping below freezing couldn't have helped. I'm in touch with folks about an hour away that are having a normal season, but guys in my immediate locale are having a dismal year. The good news is I put in way more hours than I normally would and made note of some new spots with potential to check in coming years. We are on our second day out of 4 with temps above 80. But when I checked soil temp in the forest late PM yesterday it was only 59. There's a chance of light showers before the weekend. If we get those maybe there's still hope for this weekend. Everything high and low is pretty well leafed out here.

Shroomer-Tiff and Mark67 like this.
  18. ChrizzlyBear

ChrizzlyBear Young Morel

upload_2018-5-2_13-58-38.jpeg First post. After about an hour I found these two near a dead tree on the east side of a hill. The tree was so decayed I couldn’t identify it. Hopefully there is more to come!

19. ChrizzlyBear

ChrizzlyBear Young Morel

Honestly, this looks like an Ash tree. The circular holes are a tell tale sign of the ash borer. I'd like to see a tighter shot of the sapwood, but I think I can see worm trails throughout which is indicative of the ash borer.

johnhenry likes this.
  20. Pongo805

That’s good glad you found some good spots. It’s always a good thing when you go out and don’t come back empty handed. Hope you have a great frog leg season I guess it starts up in a couple weeks should be prime hunting if it don’t turn cold on us again the dogwoods are blooming you know what that means happy hunting.

ian, Mark67 and (deleted member) like this.