2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Agree that is not an ash. The upper branch structure is not even similar to an ash. Appears to be an elm to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Yea man first year hunting in KY and honestly thought maybe I just hadn't a clue as to what I was doing.. have hit up a dozen very promising places.. and have struck out. Hate is cause I don't know if those spots actually produce on a good year or if they dont. With this season being all over as a new hunter u don't know if the places ur looking just don't usually have them or if ur to early or to late. Don't know if it's the weather or the wrong area so many factors.

ian and (deleted member) like this.

3. Donnie

Donnie Young Morel

1 person likes this.
  4. Donnie

Donnie Young Morel

Going to WV derby weekend to hunt usually have good luck over their

1 person likes this.
  5. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

that is part of it my friend my first year hunting was exactly that way. just so many what ifs. it is agervating. to late? to early? do the grow at all? if so has some one beet my to it? maybe I just don't have an eye for it just don't see em. just got to keep on looking and look forward to next spring. wish ya luck. ps it is so easy to walk right by em. I found 2 the last week end soon as I stepd foot in the woods went on and found more but when I came out I found 6 big ones right next to the first 2 I found that me and my buddy walked right over. it takes a keen eye to pick em out unless you just happen to look right at em. espesialy the darker ones.

3 people like this.
  6. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

but yea defintly a strange season.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Yes I border Indiana as well!!

1 person likes this.
  8. deleted

deleted Guest

My friend @Paula-Joy came over from Shelby county to the Louisville area again to learn how to hunt. shes a tough old bird..lol. we did way better than i thought we would but it turned out to be a great day.
    IMG_20180504_134746969.jpg IMG_20180504_134834468.jpg IMG_20180504_135105326_HDR.jpg

Mark67, Matt_halvorson, T tom and 4 others like this.
  9. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Nice finds: the shrooming partner, the mushrooms, the fiddy dollar bill. lol

2 people like this.
  10. deleted

deleted Guest

You know, it was the smallest bill that i usually carry around..lol. when are you gonna get jiggy with it and find you some pal ???

Inthewild likes this.
  11. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

The kind of guy my dad is...
    Yesterday I hit the woods again and found 6 more decent morels and since my dad hasn't had any this year I told him we'd get together today and fix them. Well I had a horse get sick last night and after spending the morning with the vet I called dad and told him since I had to come to Louisville anyway to run errands that I would drop the mushrooms off to him and he could enjoy them himself. I live about 45 minutes from him and had about an hour of running and when I got home here was my 78 year old dad holding a plate of fried morels! He hurried up and cooked them and flew to my house so I could have some. It really makes me tear up, he's such a special person. I've always told him that he's ruined me when it comes to men because he's shown me how good a man could be and it's hard to find someone who can hold a candle to my dad. Just had to share my dad with y'all.

Julz, Mark67, Matt_halvorson and 6 others like this.
  12. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

Very disappointing harvest this season.
    Photo above is all I've found over last 2 weeks in Jefferson County.
    Have been out of town last 72 hours and going to go out again this weekend to cover same areas and scout a few more.

1 person likes this.
  13. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

I have experimented over the years and have found this method to work well for preservation and cooking preparation for up to 2 weeks after harvesting:
    1. Upon return home, directly place morels on dry paper towels in X pattern to completely surround and place inside clean plastic grocery bag.
    2. Place on middle shelf in refrigerator.
    3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 in 24 hours using new dry paper towels and plastic bag, recycle old plastic bags, but DO NOT RE-USE old towels or plastic bag due to moisture evaporation and condensation that will be released. Note this is most important and will actually help when cooking if frying because batter will adhere better with less moisture (this is true for fried chicken too and why it falls off so easily if not carefully prepared).
    4. Repeat step 3 every 48-72 hours until ready to cook. Follow the same procedure for each new harvest if finding morels over several days using new plastic grocery bags and recycle used bags. If necessary, get a larger refrigerator for storage.
    5. When ready, gently rinse, dry off, batter, fry, and enjoy!

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    ScottT and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

Thank you so much for the tip on Hall’s on the river! We’ll have to check that out midweek when we’re back in town. May be too late in the season, but it’ll be worth it if we find some of the tasty gold!

ScottT likes this.
  15. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

Y’alls cute together! Glad to see that the delicious gold is still out there! Hope the weekend rains will bring one last attempt at pickin this week! Congrats on your haul!

1 person likes this.
  16. deleted

deleted Guest

Thanks Matt, i was worried that it was over for me but i keep going until i get skunked. luckily i was never skunked even once this season even though its the worse season that i can remember.
    You should have seen Paula's eyes when she found her first one without my help, was like seeing a kid on Christmas morning..lol.

2 people like this.
  17. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

They are listen on our Etsy site.

The link should be cOnnected to my profile

18. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

1 person likes this.
  19. deleted

deleted Guest

Hows business going my friend...love the shroom bag that you made for me..:)

1 person likes this.