2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

I’m with you grizz most definitely an Ash tree

2. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

I need one of those bags! Nutsak... How much?

Mark67 and (deleted member) like this.

3. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

I'd really like one of those morel bags. What do you need???

1 person likes this.
  4. Mark67

Mark67 Morel Enthusiast

I think you nailed it on the head with the freezing at the time fruiting was coming on. I've been thinking on it and you're right about having adequate rain also. The night time temps just didn't hold steady in that 45-50 range for enough consecutive nights.

All you new hunters, please don't be discouraged by this season. It is rare to see as most years are good to great!

5. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

thinks pongo. I actually got a few last night just enough for a meal. and iv always heard that its time to catfish when the dog wood blooms fall off. is that what you are referring to? sorry folks I know this post is has nothing to do with mushrooms lol.

1 person likes this.
  6. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

I know what you mean vern. I would love to be abile to put some back for on down the road. iv heard tales of people finding more than they pack out at a time. I actualy seen that many b4 but it was in a big box that a guy found he said it was all on one hill side I had to help him carry the box it was so heavy and one of them could of probably been a record sized one. he had to make 4 trips in and out to get em all he sold a lot of them. I don't know what I would do If I walked up on all that. but I would sure like to find out:)

7. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

Dogwood winter another cold spell on the way lol

ian likes this.
  8. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

Finally was able to check the baby blondes last night, I'd given them about a week anyway they were only two inches tall and drying out. Luckily I found two decent ones besides those and grilled them with my steak. All said I've found 9 total in Oldham county. Being down in my back for a week probably didn't help my harvest and now these hot days are probably putting an end to it. Here's hoping I find a hen in the fall. If anyone is on Facebook check out the morchella connection page, I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. They've had an amazing year in se Missouri and countries overseas have also been crazy productive.

1 person likes this.
  9. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Good luck in the fall but use caution with drinking any alcohol with the hens and/or chickens of the woods shrooms. That is the only shroom I have had negative affects from when combining alcohol.

10. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

Thank you for that advice, I'm not much of a drinker so not a problem for me but good advice to pass along. What other mushrooms do you harvest?

11. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Only those that I have total confidence in being safe for me and others to consume. Oysters, lions mane, chicken of the woods are ones I will harvest every time I find them in their prime. I’ve tried Dryad’s saddle but not really a fan.

1 person likes this.
  12. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

yo, Mr. or Ms. Chrizzly.
    Where exactly are these exit holes? I did not see any ash borer holes.
    That is not an ash, my friend. Look at the upward sweeping branch tips and the acute angle of branch crotches. Ash crotches are usually closer to 90 degrees.

13. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Agree that is not an ash. The upper branch structure is not even similar to an ash. Appears to be an elm to me.

1 person likes this.
  14. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Yea man first year hunting in KY and honestly thought maybe I just hadn't a clue as to what I was doing.. have hit up a dozen very promising places.. and have struck out. Hate is cause I don't know if those spots actually produce on a good year or if they dont. With this season being all over as a new hunter u don't know if the places ur looking just don't usually have them or if ur to early or to late. Don't know if it's the weather or the wrong area so many factors.

ian and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Donnie

Donnie Young Morel

1 person likes this.
  16. Donnie

Donnie Young Morel

Going to WV derby weekend to hunt usually have good luck over their

1 person likes this.
  17. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

that is part of it my friend my first year hunting was exactly that way. just so many what ifs. it is agervating. to late? to early? do the grow at all? if so has some one beet my to it? maybe I just don't have an eye for it just don't see em. just got to keep on looking and look forward to next spring. wish ya luck. ps it is so easy to walk right by em. I found 2 the last week end soon as I stepd foot in the woods went on and found more but when I came out I found 6 big ones right next to the first 2 I found that me and my buddy walked right over. it takes a keen eye to pick em out unless you just happen to look right at em. espesialy the darker ones.

3 people like this.
  18. ian

ian Morel Connoisseur

but yea defintly a strange season.

1 person likes this.
  19. Shroomer-Tiff

Shroomer-Tiff Morel Enthusiast

Yes I border Indiana as well!!

1 person likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Guest

My friend @Paula-Joy came over from Shelby county to the Louisville area again to learn how to hunt. shes a tough old bird..lol. we did way better than i thought we would but it turned out to be a great day.
    IMG_20180504_134746969.jpg IMG_20180504_134834468.jpg IMG_20180504_135105326_HDR.jpg

Mark67, Matt_halvorson, T tom and 4 others like this.