2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Brandon.g

Brandon.g Morel Enthusiast

I live in Graves county myself, and I'm glad you posted! Saves me the waste of time it would have been to go today, and check on all my spots. Keep us posted, as to if you find anything, and I'll do the same when I go back out :) On second thought, you found some chickens, so if it warms up later on today, I'm going out! On a side note, I have been finding some good Oysters as of late :)

2. Hakeem1984

Hakeem1984 Young Morel

Well ladies and gents! My season of hunting has ended before it began. Last Wednesday I fell down in the bathroom here at home and tore a disc in the lumbar portion of my spine and have had an incredibly hard time walking. On Tuesday I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon at 10:30am so I am hoping I can get some relief other than being on hydrocodone and muscle relaxers.
    You all have a good hunt and keep me in your thoughts if you want. I look forward to seeing everyone's pictures.

1 person likes this.

3. coyotewindsky

coyotewindsky Young Morel

I'm Higgens aka CoyotewindsKy. I'm in Southern Hart County. I hope this will be a good year hunting shrooms. Best of luck to all, Be safe, respect the land we hunt. And eat plenty & don't forget the elderly who can't hunt anymore by sharing your bounty.

4. coyotewindsky

Good Luck This Mushroom Season!

1 person likes this.
  5. coyotewindsky

I've been blessed to hunting morels for over 40 yrs. Good luck to all. Im from south central Kentucky bout 8 miles east of mammoth cave national park. Oh & they do allow shroom hunting in the park. Use a onion sack one with small holes. Your allowed bag full size of basketball a day in the park.

1 person likes this.
  6. deleted

deleted Guest

Glad you are here Sgt. its all just around the corner..we are developing a great board here like never before and it will last for years as long as we stick together and help a brother out..;)

7. deleted

deleted Guest

Ive been thinking about heading down to the cave area but never quite made it..sounds like i should. you done some hunting there ?

8. deleted

deleted Guest

Well Hakeem thats a real bummer...i had to back surgeries back in the eighties and it helped a ton but now at my age the arthritis taken over and its a real struggle to get out there now but i struggle on and make the best of it. good luck and we will keep the spirit alive and well..;)

9. Swayback

Swayback Morel Enthusiast

I guess I'm not the only critter that gets excited a bit too early...
    *EDIT* In case you can't see it... that's a tiger mosquito I killed last night, I slapped another couple when it was warm... damn arctic mosquitos!
    Gorgeous days like this really grind the mind... knowing I won't find a morel for weeks... but I've been finding oysters, enoki and lots of little shrooms I can't ID...
    I think I might have better luck hunting points than mushrooms today.

When you guys are talking about finding chickens, I guess you're talking about sulfur shelfs?
    I've never found them anywhere near this early myself... maybe I should look more, but they're awful hard to miss.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    2 people like this.
  10. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Oysters are good too

mnhunter11 and T tom like this.
  11. Jamie b

Jamie b Young Morel

Im in Knoxville for work last couple of years, but ive hunted them in whitley county for last 20 years. I havent been out to look for them this year, but im looking forward to it. Found one last year near norris dam but it was past its prime and crumbling. Id love to find someone to hunt morels with here or in ky. Going to go look here in a few minutes to see whats up. Great group. Lots of good information.

12. Morel houdini

Morel houdini Morel Enthusiast

I couldn't resist a walk through the woods today. There are a few trillium starting to bloom.. havent spotted any mayapples yet here in central ky.. I did find quite a few different fungi species as well..

1 person likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Guest

For me, those mayapples never lie to me, not long till we find out...good luck

1 person likes this.
  14. Hollywood

Hollywood Morel Enthusiast

Live west of Benton and nothing yet, these cold cloudy days and nights are Killin me.

15. Hollywood

West Marshall and I've found nothing yet. You said you found some chickens though???

16. Hollywood

I too was finding good oysters, but they stopped about 2 weeks ago....

Brandon.g likes this.
  17. Brandon.g

Brandon.g Morel Enthusiast

I seem to find oysters pretty much all year round,whether I'm looking or not :)

18. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope they get you fixed up and get you relief. Well wishes.

1 person likes this.
  19. Swayback

Swayback Morel Enthusiast

You bet!
    I rarely go hunting just for them, but I have decent luck finding them here, several species even.
    I really like them but it's really all about how they're prepared
    I wish I could find the association... ofcourse I use them, and lots of other things to gauge when the times right, and they help, but I've found them to pop at quite variable times here for me, they're usually in full leaf by the time I'm finding morels, but I also only find morels on tulips, only grey/yellow, so maybe I'm missing the early ones... but it's not from lack of hunting!
    Once it's nice... I'm pounding ground, good for the body , good for the soul, and it can't hurt your prospects of finding good spots.
    Alone, mayapple just don't tell me much... and I've checked acres worth of mayapple pockets and I've yet to find a morel anywhere near any of them...

That's what I'm saying!
    Chicken of the woods in march?!?
    Really?
    I always find mine in late summer or mostly fall, never spring... well... I do frequently find their bleached out mushy remains from the previous season...
    Found the remains of 3 decent sized ones today... all on cherry... I might be game enough to try one if I find a prime one on a cherry, even though I hear conflicting reports about it being toxicon cherry and pine.
    There was some heavy flushes then... I was finding them well past prime on my first trip out, they'd obviously flushed atleast twice then, not counting the prime ones I brought home... course I spotted a tulip snag about 20' tall that had gobs on it, the top 3' or so of the snag was completely circled with oysters... and from the ground they looked like 20 pounds of flawless fruit. I'm sure there wasn't really that much and I know they weren't as flawless as my imagination made them out to be...

20. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Hey guys and gals, I made a mistake... I was looking at chicken coops and was distracted when I posted lol. My apologies, it was oysters, not chickens! My bad everyone... Sorry for any confusion I might have caused

Swayback and Redbird.river like this.