2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Nice finds: the shrooming partner, the mushrooms, the fiddy dollar bill. lol

2 people like this.
  2. deleted

deleted Guest

You know, it was the smallest bill that i usually carry around..lol. when are you gonna get jiggy with it and find you some pal ???

Inthewild likes this.

3. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

The kind of guy my dad is...
    Yesterday I hit the woods again and found 6 more decent morels and since my dad hasn't had any this year I told him we'd get together today and fix them. Well I had a horse get sick last night and after spending the morning with the vet I called dad and told him since I had to come to Louisville anyway to run errands that I would drop the mushrooms off to him and he could enjoy them himself. I live about 45 minutes from him and had about an hour of running and when I got home here was my 78 year old dad holding a plate of fried morels! He hurried up and cooked them and flew to my house so I could have some. It really makes me tear up, he's such a special person. I've always told him that he's ruined me when it comes to men because he's shown me how good a man could be and it's hard to find someone who can hold a candle to my dad. Just had to share my dad with y'all.

Julz, Mark67, Matt_halvorson and 6 others like this.
  4. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

Very disappointing harvest this season.
    Photo above is all I've found over last 2 weeks in Jefferson County.
    Have been out of town last 72 hours and going to go out again this weekend to cover same areas and scout a few more.

1 person likes this.
  5. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

I know what you mean, I set my standards based off how my granny treated my grandpa. It took me 45yr to find anyone close, but it was definitely worth the wait.

2 people like this.
  6. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

I have experimented over the years and have found this method to work well for preservation and cooking preparation for up to 2 weeks after harvesting:
    1. Upon return home, directly place morels on dry paper towels in X pattern to completely surround and place inside clean plastic grocery bag.
    2. Place on middle shelf in refrigerator.
    3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 in 24 hours using new dry paper towels and plastic bag, recycle old plastic bags, but DO NOT RE-USE old towels or plastic bag due to moisture evaporation and condensation that will be released. Note this is most important and will actually help when cooking if frying because batter will adhere better with less moisture (this is true for fried chicken too and why it falls off so easily if not carefully prepared).
    4. Repeat step 3 every 48-72 hours until ready to cook. Follow the same procedure for each new harvest if finding morels over several days using new plastic grocery bags and recycle used bags. If necessary, get a larger refrigerator for storage.
    5. When ready, gently rinse, dry off, batter, fry, and enjoy!

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    ScottT and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

Thank you so much for the tip on Hall’s on the river! We’ll have to check that out midweek when we’re back in town. May be too late in the season, but it’ll be worth it if we find some of the tasty gold!

ScottT likes this.
  8. Matt_halvorson

Matt_halvorson Morel Enthusiast

Y’alls cute together! Glad to see that the delicious gold is still out there! Hope the weekend rains will bring one last attempt at pickin this week! Congrats on your haul!

1 person likes this.
  9. deleted

deleted Guest

Thanks Matt, i was worried that it was over for me but i keep going until i get skunked. luckily i was never skunked even once this season even though its the worse season that i can remember.
    You should have seen Paula's eyes when she found her first one without my help, was like seeing a kid on Christmas morning..lol.

2 people like this.
  10. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

They are listen on our Etsy site.

The link should be cOnnected to my profile

11. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

1 person likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Guest

Hows business going my friend...love the shroom bag that you made for me..:)

1 person likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Guest

Well its been six hours sense the last post..i hope that means everybody is in the woods. its been a steady drizzle rain for hours now, hope that gives my season a little bit of help here in the Louisville area. good luck if you are out there..;)

14. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

Fear the reaper... found these early this morning close together in an old orchard/nursery area poking up through the wet flattened leaves and fresher than they appear in photo. My other regular areas checked today in Jefferson County remain devoid of morels.
    20180505_191621.jpg

2 people like this.
  15. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

One last shot... Wishing all my fellow "die-hards" out there all the best! I have truly enjoyed this forum this year. I feel like I've made some new friends on here and look to keep it going. Thank you all that contributed this year and a special thanks to Vern, Rick and everyone else that set this baby up! Thanks gang

16. deleted

deleted Guest

SSgt...your a hell of a guy and a huge credit to this board and it has been a pleasure getting to know you sir.
    Next year i might even show up where you live and have a cold one with you.
    Where abouts did you say you lived pal ??
    Im heading out right now to see if anything is left for me..lol. Im near Louisville and found those 15 yellow beauties a couple of days ago..gotta know if it was a fluke or not..wish me some luck boss..
    If you get board, come and hang out on the Indiana board with me and the guys, a great and fun bunch.....Vern ;)

Mark67 and SSgt.CWhite like this.
  17. Casey co.

Casey co. Young Morel

SSgt.CWhite and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Casey co.

Casey co. Young Morel

Does anyone around eastern ky casey couny specifically but any body close think the yellows that grow in fields really commonly around rivers that like to fllod there neighboring fields

19. Casey co.

Casey co. Young Morel

Do u think they are still up? I never have time ive hunted since i was old enough to walk literly but i cant get the time to guess hit n miss with my schedule i try n they crazy weather makes it hard to know when to look i have went as far as looking in the dark with lights after work