Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1001 - 1020 of 1039 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
THAT'S A RAP...VERNO HAS LEFT THE BUILDING...
picked up these remaining few after a very long hunt.
I'm taking a few days rest before i decide if i have enough gas left in the tank for a trip north or not.
Its been a tough season for me and many others in the southern half and for my good friends in Ky.
I probably finished at about 60% of what i expected to do this year. Hay..its only ten more months and then i can do it all over just like i have for many,many years.....peace out VERN
May be just a few but they are a pretty sight.
I went again tonight for a couple of hours but to no avail.
I spotted a couple of Sycamores near a creek in a heavily wooded area, but there just weren’t any there. On the bright side I did find a turtle shell tonight.
Thanks to you and everyone on here for the dialogue and the learning!
Have a blessed week!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I must be one of the few people who hunts Kentucky and is active on this website. I would like to see our thread get as much attention as some of the other groups on here.

It is nice to know what the hunters nearby are finding and to help each other out.

Lots of flooding on the Ohio river going on right now so we may need to search the hilltops about 3/4 of the way up.

It's a good time to check the "Honey Holes" for flooding. If they are flooded out. Follow the path the water made uphill this season and search along the debris that was washed downhill.
If you do notice that your hot spots are flooded out. Survey where the water level reached and be sure to walk along that area as the spores may be resting on the "high-bank" this year.

As always, best of luck to everybody this year. We hope to see you posting photos soon !
Im from buffalo kentucky

·
Vendor
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006
I've spent too much time seeing this year and not enough time in the woods finding golf balls.

I found nothing this entire season.

My son had fun chopping at sticks and smacking bugs with my machete.

It was worth it just to get out a couple times.

If I get the rest of these orders done in time I may take one more hike this weekend.

I better at least find 1 morel !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Buffalo KY what county several Buffalos in KY nice one by the way
hey pongo when was your last find I stoped looking like a week ago. but others still seem to be finding. I just checking on your opinon bc we hunt relatively the same areas. I'm getting a urge to hit it one more time. what do you think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey pongo when was your last find I stoped looking like a week ago. but others still seem to be finding. I just checking on your opinon bc we hunt relatively the same areas. I'm getting a urge to hit it one more time. what do you think.
Ian my last find was on May 3 I believe found 4 but they where to far gone to pick. Been out of town since just got back but I’m thinking I’ll give it one more shot Friday the 11th

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ian my last find was on May 3 I believe found 4 but they where to far gone to pick. Been out of town since just got back but I’m thinking I’ll give it one more shot Friday the 11th
with all the shade from the trees now you might have some luck I hope you do. I would check along cold water running off the hill. the dirt just may still be cool enough right on the edge of those natural drainage channels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ia
with all the shade from the trees now you might have some luck I hope you do. I would check along cold water running off the hill. the dirt just may still be cool enough right on the edge of those natural drainage channels.[/QUOTE
Hey Ian went out for a couple of hours no luck went into a holler along buck creek have found them there before but always scattered out I think Vern is right I hear a fat lady singing getting way to hot now,matter of fact I was drenched in sweat when I got back to the truck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi everyone I just joined this forum to learn more about hunting for morels and mushrooms in central Kentucky. I am a complete beginner but hope I can learn and share any findings.

Kind Regards,
Emily
Welcome Emily glad your here the more they merrier. Lots of great info on this board and great people I’m fairly new to the board myself and I’ve learned a lot so enjoy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi everyone I just joined this forum to learn more about hunting for morels and mushrooms in central Kentucky. I am a complete beginner but hope I can learn and share any findings.

Kind Regards,
Emily
Emily, check back with us on the Kentucky board around the 1st week or two of March and we’ll by glad to help you all we can. I also hunt central KY in the Hart/Edmonson county/Mammoth Cave National Park area.

·
Vendor
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016
Thank you everybody who participated in our sarcastic Kentucky mushroom forum this year!

This is the first time Kentucky actually had an active year here on Morels.com

I hope you all come back here next year and keep sharing info/data with everybody.

It was super helpful for some people who were about to throw in the towel early and ended up finding morels super late in the season.

Please come back and hopefully the Kentucky forum will grow as large as some of the others I see on here.

Everybody have a great Summer !

·
Registered
2 Posts
you did well grasshopper..lol.
sounds like you are set pretty good for next season..wish you guys well. i sure hope things get back to normal next year...see ya then..;)
First time poster, long time morel enthusiast, over 40 years. I was visiting a friend in the Lexington area the last week of April. We found ones and twos around dead ash, but nothing like I'm used to finding in MO, KS and Southern IA, but then we didn't find many good elms either. The ones we did, they just weren't there. What I found around here were late on the north banks. Cold snap got our southern slopes and I'm thinking it may have gotten yours too. Anyway, my buddy says they don't grow in numbers in western Kentucky. I'd like your boards opinion. I wouldn't mind giving western Kentucky another shot. Thanks.

1001 - 1020 of 1039 Posts