2018 Kentucky Morels Thread

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Tony&Toni

Tony&Toni Morel Enthusiast

We are MI hunters BUT have been hunting your gorgeous state the last couple of Aprils. 2017 was a bust but 2016 we found a couple hundred large whites in Bath County

2. Brandon.g

Brandon.g Morel Enthusiast

Oh man, due to all the rain, and flooding, I think this season is going to be super!!! I'm going to start looking this weekend for the heck of it. Our weather has been so unseasonably warm too. I feel they should start fruiting early, or at least by the first week of next month. I'll report back soon :)

3. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

I didn't find as many in OH. but found an abundance in Southern MI last year.

4. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Hello to my friends and fellow KY shroomers! I pray we have a better season this year and continue to grow this forum. For those who are new, this truly is a GREAT resource filled with wonderful people that are always willing to help. Great group, great hobby and hopefully a great season. I look forward to sharing it with my morel people :). Vern- hope you're well buddy! Let's go get em' this year. Nutsak, I need to get your link for one of those kick-ass double mesh bags! Until next time, be blessed!

Ryker2019 likes this.
  5. SSgt.CWhite

SSgt.CWhite Morel Connoisseur

Hope you're well Vern!
    Welcome

6. Brandon.g

Man, I can't find mushrooms of any kind yet, but Galerina's!

7. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Hey Brandon, you probably aren't finding any because your still in 2018. 2018 was a bad year! I'm putting 2018 in the rear view mirror. Come join us in the 2019 thread. Good luck this year.

8. Brandon.g

oh crap, silly me, hehe! Let me find the 2019 thread right quick, thanks!

9. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Vernon is in the slammer. Where he needs to be.

10. Ryker2019

Ryker2019 Morel Enthusiast

I'm in Laurel county going out to forage weekend, I absolutely am hooked on shrooms I buy them.to eat and really wanna find them this year. I have a son I wanna pass this art and skill down too any suggestions for my area would be extremely GRATEFUL and humbled for the help . Nobody around here will help you or learn you anything so I am learning on my own . Just dont want this to become a forgotten gift of nature trying to preserve our heritage of finding these treasures and eating and sharing with famiy.

T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  11. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Welcome to the board Ryker! Jump over to the 2019 Kentucky Morel thread and read from the beginning of the thread. I believe you can pick up a few tips there that will apply to your mountain hunting. The blacks will be the only ones you will find this early in the season and I haven't heard of any reported finds in KY or TN yet. Soil temps have risen this past week and are really close to what we want to see. I plan on checking my Jefferson and Hart county patches this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  12. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

Go to YouTube, learn your land, the guy is a wealth of knowledge. I had the same problem as you learning to hunt . This guy will save you 5yrs on your own. Good luck friend

1 person likes this.
  13. Patricia K

Patricia K Young Morel

The Mushroom Festival in Irvine, KY is great! I've been going since I moved to KY in 1999. Don't plan on buying morals there unless you're rich though. An oz can go for $50. I live in Clark County and have been out moral hunting for the last 20 yrs and haven't found one! How can that be when the Mushroom Festival is only 15-20 miles away? ROFL