Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a REALLY good morel season last year (2017) here in North Central Arkansas. Found my first morel March 18th and my last on April 10th. I don’t ever count them but I know without a doubt that all together I could have filled a wheelbarrow. I have had my most abundant finds around sycamore & cedar trees. Wishing you all a great morel season! Stay safe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a REALLY good morel season last year (2017) here in North Central Arkansas. Found my first morel March 18th and my last on April 10th. I don’t ever count them but I know without a doubt that all together I could have filled a wheelbarrow. I have had my most abundant finds around sycamore & cedar trees. Wishing you all a great morel season! Stay safe.
Any tips for south west/ south central Missouri

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am actually not very far from Missouri. I am approx. 41 miles SW of Gainesville.
Last year I found very few under Ash trees. But the year prior to that I found quite a few under many of the Ash trees I looked around on our property. I guess it’s just hit & miss. My neighbor finds black morels under dogwood trees. I have yet to look under dogwoods but will this year. However, I did find half free morels & black morels under wild cherry trees last year.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I went out as soon as the rain ended today. I did see one mushroom but it wasn’t a morel.... The soil temperature in my area is still in the 40’s. No mayapple foliage or redbud flowers yet. It was mid-March last year before I found the first one. A couple more weeks is better than a couple more months. Will just be happy that winter is over .

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out as soon as the rain ended today. I did see one mushroom but it wasn’t a morel.... The soil temperature in my area is still in the 40’s. No mayapple foliage or redbud flowers yet. It was mid-March last year before I found the first one. A couple more weeks is better than a couple more months. Will just be happy that winter is over .
Shouldn’t be to long

·
Registered
908 Posts
Jean M., I would not know what to look for down in MT. Seems like so much oak/hickory compared to where i am. At least the hills seem that way. I never find much in those type timbers. Do you hunt certain trees down there? I could see the rivers if they have maples, cottonwoods or other stuff. Cedars work great in Ok. and Kan. but i have never had much luck with them in N. Mo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My BEST finds have been around sycamores, next would be cedars, then ash. I find that sycamores in my area are great producers. With wild black cherry trees for half free & blacks. I can say that my most abundant finds are in low lying areas that drain very well. I live in an area that has lots of low water crossings. I drive through 5 just to get home. Lots of sycamores near the creeks & lots of cedars in the very rocky areas.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jean I hunt them type of areas and it' tiff. I' not up on all my trees and for some reason motels r tuff for me to find spots. I can all other mushrooms but the morel is a tough one for me. Last year I found enough I was able to get good looks at trees to see where they were growing I believe one tree was an oak of some sort really not sure of the other trees I find them on top of the hills and the bottom of the Hills there's a tree that has a light colored bark that looks like little squares not sure what that tree is but if you walk up to 1 it's almost guarantee that there's at least one morel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sycamores are very easy to identify. (Google for picture). Ash I identify by the greenish moss or algae that appears on the bark. Google the bark of an ash tree and you will get a better idea of what I am referring to.

1 - 20 of 628 Posts