2018 Missouri Morels

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by tommyjosh, Jan 31, 2018.

1. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

62C51CBE-EB5B-4798-A607-C6F667B6628D.jpeg We’ve found 4 pounds this year. About 80 mushrooms total. Spend many days getting that many. Found in a wooded field near a creek bed some on the creek bed. The most I found clumped near each other was 7 and 6. No large patches for me. Yesterday they were about 5inches tall and probably days from being to old. So is there another flush of morels or is that probably the end of the season? Because all the ones we were finding were gray morels that just got larger since they weren’t being found. So from my observation there isn’t 2 different morel strains but grays are young and yellows are old. I’ll still be out looking all week in hopes there is another flush. If not it’s waiting for chanterelle season

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketMan

RocketMan Young Morel

Found 10 feet apart on an east west line near but not under a huge hedge tree 10 to 20 feet from the tree line in the forest on a gradual north facing slope. This was my first year of Morel hunting. I have searched for weeks in Texas Arkansas Kansas Oklahoma and Missouri. Finally found them 200 yards from the house after hiking 5 miles through the forest of the Pleasant Hope Conservation.

Attached Files:

3. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

I have not had a chance to get out and look since last Thursday’s finds. Taking girls and future son out late this afternoon to spot I haven’t checked but picked couple pounds in 3 years ago. High hopes and may be able to get back to where picked first ones with daughter, curious if more sprouted up. Will post any finds later. Season probably winding down based off of size of morels in previous posts.

4. Jwithing

Jwithing Morel Enthusiast

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. This year has been horrible. Just found three fingernail morels an hour ago in Jeff co. Looks like 90 degree temps later this week. Found some other interesting growth and was wondering if you all could help me identify. IMG_20180507_165401.jpg IMG_20180507_170139.jpg IMG_20180507_170211.jpg IMG_20180507_170213.jpg IMG_20180507_171940.jpg IMG_20180507_171834.jpg

1 person likes this.
  5. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

Shroomdiggity was shown some pics by a lady he works with, over 40lbs found on Sunday near Faucett MO, most were in very good condition, so they're still out there if you put in the time to look and have a place that isn't over run with shroom stompers.

6. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

Found 66 that I kept and some of those are iffy. Left another 40 or so that were to far gone. Season probably over for me here in Platte county. ECCB2E6A-1B40-4584-989F-42CAC5817DAF.jpeg

1 person likes this.
  7. jeffschre

jeffschre Morel Enthusiast

I wish I could say I found 50 this weekend....unfortunately I wasn't that lucky....18 is my total for the season (21 if you count one stump that someone or something beat me to and one that was too dried out) ....14 of them being found on Sat. found 9 in one spot and even those were 3-4 feet apart. All the others were one-sy, two-sy.

I'd like to get out at least one more time but between the 4 foot tall grasses and the 80 degree temps over the last week I don't know if it would be worth while.

8. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

The first shroom is a dryads saddle. Edible and delicious. Past it’s prime but get it young and it has a nice meaty texture with a decent flavor. Definitely worth trying. I enjoy them

Jwithing likes this.
  9. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

IMG_0183.JPG

2 people like this.
  10. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

IMG_0186.JPG

3 people like this.
  11. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

Lol 20 pounds one patch well more than 20 pounds it's still popping I wish I had dated material but got tons of pics

1 person likes this.
  12. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius Morel Enthusiast

Saw someone already ID'ed the Dryad's for you. 3rd and 4th pics appear to be Mica Caps (inkys). From what I've read/heard, they're edible but not to be consumed with alcohol. Needless to say that last bit disqualifies them from my consideration.

Not sure about the ones in the last 2 pics without seeing the undersides. Maybe fringed tubarias or a rooting polypore?

Jwithing likes this.
  13. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

They were all taken in this last week the rain storm threw them all over the st.joseph area and around but I'm still finding them like crazy usually a pound or two every other spot or nothing for three spots and then boom a nice spot I've been reading your guys post since early this year and figure to only post if I had some actual luck let me know if any one wants to see more of the pics of my luck this year

1 person likes this.
  14. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

We want to see all ur pics we love shrooms pics keep them coming

15. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

Nice haul baw!

16. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

I went out hunting less than 500 yards from my house and found almost 4 pounds of wilted dying mushrooms this rain were about to get hit with will make it a big patch at least I'm hopin

1 person likes this.
  17. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the props lol I refused to be skunked this year IMG_0194.JPG

18. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

Also the tree clinging mushrooms found earlier is big laughing Jim I believe if it bruise green all other characteristics look similar to it I could wrong IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

1 person likes this.
  19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Morel Enthusiast

Found 5 pounds yesterday in one patch and left others to grow

20. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

What part of the state?