2018 Missouri Morels

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by tommyjosh, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jwithing

Jwithing Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the identification. I was thinking dryads saddle based on internet investigation, but wasn't sure if there are any deadly look a likes or if these were past their prime. I'll head back there today to see if there's any new, younger specimens. Sad morel hunting for me, so I would love to try anything new!

2. Jwithing

Thanks for the identification! Inkys are definitely out for me too then lol. The orange ones look like ringless Honey mushrooms, but I've read those grow during fall and have some extremely deadly look alikes, so I'll definitely leave those alone.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Morel Enthusiast

IMG_20180507_130627.jpg platte county

3 people like this.
  4. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

5. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

Is that from today

6. Jwithing

Got another identification question for ya guys. Stumbled upon two of these little suckers in my voyage a couple hours ago. No shrooms :(. I bashed one open and they look even funkier. Try were a little translucent as well. IMG_20180509_164521.jpg IMG_20180509_164600.jpg

1 person likes this.
  7. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

Looks like you’re in a toxic dump, get the hell outta there.

Jwithing likes this.
  8. shroomdawg

I’m stumped, are you saying those were found in Platte county today/yesterday? If y’all found’m in the past two days....., you da man and you got a legit honey hole. Lol!

1 person likes this.
  9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nice ones Stump, I have heard of some good finds in some sycamore bottoms. Were those on Sycs? Amazing how they lasted in this heat. I think those green things are Made in China, every thing else is. Hey Dawg, you do any good in any hills this year? Usually you guys kill them north of me. I got skunked in a place I have never had it happen before unless I was to early, and I don't think I was early.

10. stumpjumper

The picture was from the day before but found the same amount yesterday and was fresh like those... I found them in the hills around maple trees... Because of how thick the leaves are on the trees it don't get much sunlight and the ground is still wet there. Gonna hit another spot like it today... Their still out there you just gotta know the right spots

11. shroomdawg

I wouldn't say good, maybe a little over 10lbs outta the hills, we had decent luck with Sycamores on the smaller river bottoms. It was a tough year kb but stumpjumper is showing it can still be done if you wanna put in the time. Don't know if I'll get out again but stumpjumper has me thinkin ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

What part of the state Demyx??

13. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

St.joseph they're kinda everywhere around here I'll be checking for more growth last patch I found was dying but that's ok it'll come back bigger next rain we get I bet we have two weeks left till they stop

2 people like this.
  14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Well stump you got me beat, never thought of looking on live maple in hills. Dang I always hit maples in bottoms, so it figures. I think mushroom madman mentioned he hits those last year. What trees did you pick on in the hills Dawg? I have not seen much on ash this year, the elm has been so-so, loaded up big in a grove of cottonwood. Gonna go back to some of my local hill spots and find some shady wet maples, and recheck some north slopes. Wish it would cool down.

15. supplyguy1973

supplyguy1973 Morel Connoisseur

Looks like Dryads Saddle and mica caps. not sure what the third ones are

Jwithing likes this.
  16. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

IMG_48181.jpg these were found today 30 min west of Hannabal in the river birches

17. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

Those are oak tree galls formed by non-stinging wasps laying eggs in the leaves, stems, or flowers of the tree.

Jwithing and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Jwithing

Thanks! Never seen any like that!

19. stumpjumper

Picked 23 pounds in Platte county hills yesterday! And kb my absolute best spots in the hills are in big groves of green maples... Never had much luck in the bottoms around maples tho... The spot I picked the 23 pounds is the best spot I got, found a patch of 81 pounds there but that was a long time ago lol... Every year I seem to pick around 30-60 pounds in it! As soon as we get some rain I'll go back and get the ones I left to grow

20. stumpjumper

Well rain crumbled the ones I left to grow... I'd say the season is for sure done around here

1 person likes this.