2018 Morel Finds

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pastorj, Feb 22, 2018.

1. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

2. finderoftheshrooms

finderoftheshrooms Morel Connoisseur

Congrats man.. That's the first one I've seen this year.. Did you find it in Georgia or Alabama?

eidolon and (deleted member) like this.

3. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

Always nice when the first post on the thread is an actual find! Thanks for sharing and congrats again, you always seem to be the first!

4. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

Thanks, appreciate that. It's taken me ten years and a lot of miles hiking to figure out my earliest spots and when to start looking. This was only my second trip to the woods and first time checking this location.

FYI, my first morel last year was found on the 21st, but at a different spot. I found morels at another location on the 25th that had obviously been up well before my first find.

Therefore, I believe we are running about 5-10 days behind last year.

I picked the mushroom and turned around and walked out of the woods. I probably won't go back out until March 3rd.

5. finderoftheshrooms

finderoftheshrooms Morel Connoisseur

Im from Indiana, but I spent a lot of time in Augusta and Grovetown when I was younger.. The company I worked for did a lot of work in the Georgia Iron Works foundry.. I had the pleasure of starting my mushroom season off in Augusta three years in a row.. If my memory is right, I think it was the first week of March before we really started finding them consistently.. I'm debating heading down your way for a long weekend next week.. Do you think they will be starting to pop in decent numbers by then, or should I wait another week or so to make the trip down?

6. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

It's supposed to be close to freezing at night next weekend, in GA.

1 person likes this.
  7. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

Beautiful! What type of trees/habitats do you all find them on down your way? Don't recall many elm down that way.

1 person likes this.
  8. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

I'm new at this, so my knowledge is mostly accidental right now. The only places I have seen them in GA. have been close to running water, bottom land, with sandy soil, trees other than the normally dominant oaks, like beech, sycamore, elms, etc. (and I've come to see that oaks don't prefer those low, wet areas). They seem to have an association with privet, which is invasive near rivers here.

2 people like this.
  9. uncle fester

uncle fester Morel Enthusiast

I'm from Woodstock, GA, and I work in Atlanta. I have a few spots in the city that I start finding them around 15 March. I haven't found any earlier in the ATL area. I will be checking my city spots today though.

eidolon likes this.
  10. adriana

adriana Morel Enthusiast

11. uncle fester

uncle fester Morel Enthusiast

Getting closer to the time. Need some of this warm sunshine for a couple days in a row over 70. Then let the pickin being.

12. bev

bev Morel Connoisseur

yep keep the sun a coming and then fill the bags.