2018 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Kbshroom, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

2. Kbshroom

Bluetick did you find that shed antler to? If so that's definitely a bonus! Shedhunting is one of my favorite hobbies right up there with mushroom hunting. Always nice to find both

3. bluetick1921

bluetick1921 Morel Enthusiast

Ya i found it at new spot i was hunting in no morels there but a good shed find

4. Kbshroom

No morels but a shed nothing wrong with that in my book!

1 person likes this.
  5. bluetick1921

Mine eather plus it realy got to buddy and that always fun lol fou found the ones in pic gest after leaving there and going to my knewn spot

6. Kbshroom

Lol I hear that. Good deal best of luck to you the rest of the season!

7. bluetick1921

Thanks buddy good luck to you on the rest of your session what State are you hunting in

8. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

We hope for the rain for the shrooms but be careful out there ...for sure you guy and gals in Fred. Co. Be safe all.

9. Kbshroom

I'm in Frederick Co. Maryland about done around my area. May go a couple more times

10. Kbshroom

Yeah I don't mind some rain but it has been just a little to much in my area. Chances are my season will probably be about done. Head out a couple more times just to be sure. And I agree everyone be safe. Nothing is worth getting injured over

11. Pl4nt

Pl4nt Young Morel

Hi there! New to foraging. I'm in Baltimore MD and have some friends with good land and have been looking at parks too in the woods, but nothing yet! I figured after this rain when it warms up there may be some morels but idk because I hear morel season is really short .I have been specifically looking under Elms and around various hardwoods. Any insight or tips for a newb?

12. redfred

I hate to say you maybe a little late for this year.. I was out today and want to say my season is over...if you are finding elms great but look for poplars too..at this time if they are there look for cooler spots..lower north hills ..there still maybe some if not you may find some good spots for next year...good luck....

13. Kbshroom

My best areas are around poplars especially older ones. I have found them in other areas like creek bottoms with sycamore trees. Also check near dead or rotten trees. If you are hunting in public areas they get hit pretty hard so you may want to check those areas more often. I start looking in April for the black morels then the gray, white and yelllows. Generally by mid to late May I'm done. But all areas are different so the only way to know is put alot of miles on the hiking boots. Get out as much as you can. This is all my personal opinion. That being said good luck to you! Any other questions feel free to ask.

14. Kbshroom

Redfred unfortunately I'm right there with you. Went out to my late spot couple days ago and found a few. The monsoon had destroyed the majority of what was already up. Looks like I'm done. Had an alright season can't complain. Always thankful to be able to get out in the woods. Good luck to everyone still on the hunt!

15. Pl4nt

Pl4nt Young Morel

Wonderful! Thank you both for your advice! I'll have some time tomorrow to peek around.

1 person likes this.
  16. redfred

we all wish you luck i'm sure ...keep us posted because we all want to learn..i'm guessing you know your trees that helps ...and as far as where you are hunting ...nobody is asking GPS coordinates but more so north or south or what may get warmer sooner ... good luck...
    i would have been happy to see a few beat to death by the rain or some monsters because of the rain ...none of these .... I have never hunted other mushrooms but think i may ... anybody want to teach an old dog a new trick??? found this in the rain what do you think...

Attached Files:

17. Kbshroom

Redfred I have seen the ones on the first pic not sure what they are. The other pics look to be chicken of the woods. They start to grow now thru fall. Normally on dead trees/logs often oak trees.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Looks to be a dryad’s saddle in the first pic. Have seen a few around this spring but I’d definitely take those young chickens you have instead from a table fare standpoint.

1 person likes this.
  19. redfred

i think the first are dryads also think the second is a chicken too..enough to cut it and hand it to someone i thought knew better...have not seen him since...that sounds bad.... he said his wife would know better and i have just not seen him since... that sounds worse.... i have not run into him lately..to confirm or deny .... do you hunt others???? i have always taken pictures or try to inform myself .. but when you look at something and can say in anyway that kinda looks like the one called death angel well...... pick your poison ...thanks...

20. redfred

hey thanks i think dryads too and get the impression that they may be edible but not too many people like them...i see a lot of them.. now the chickens ..they seem more orange then i thought they might be.. is this because they are young???? have you tried both??? thanks for your help...