Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
I'm in Kentucky !

I just wanted to let you all know that we just started finding here over the weekend.

Our season is delayed by 2.5 weeks.

I hope this helps you all out in planning your hunts.

Best of luck!

I’m in Arlington, VA and willing to travel for morels. Hoping to get out there around first of May.

Are there rules about hunting in state parks here? I’m from Ohio and familiar with the rules there, but they may be different here.
Mama, No you can't...nothing can be removed from State Parks, even National Forest but at least there are grey areas to that. Hope this helps!

I can second that. Myself and plenty of others pick morels from the national park, but only morels. A ranger even told me it was allowed.

Also, I found just under a pound of fresh yellows in my early spot on Monday. This weekend/next week should really start blowing up after this rain. I'm in rappahannock county.

So I found some small ones this morning then went to a different area this evening and hit the honey hole. 2lb 5oz of big white.

A friend also gave me some trout so tonight will be a feast!

Looks like everything is just starting to come out. I found several under the leaves still bent over. No old ones.

Attachments

Im searching around the richmond area as well. I checked out mataoca area today. Put some miles in in a few different spots and didnt see anything. Ill be going out to a few spots east of richmond tomorrow.

Im searching around the richmond area as well. I checked out mataoca area today. Put some miles in in a few different spots and didnt see anything. Ill be going out to a few spots east of richmond tomorrow.
I'll be searching the Chesterfield area this weekend. I moved to PA a couple years ago, but grew up in Chesterfield area. Came down last weekend and scouted a few spots and got permission for some private land that looks promising. Ive never hunted for them in VA yet though, just started in PA 2 years ago, so if ur interested in linking up I won't turn down the help

I was in Walmart today and checked the laundry section for mesh bags. They had the lingerie bag on clearance for $1 and the pop up laundry bag is normally priced $2. The pop up bag is probably too big to carry in the woods(though I wish I needed one that big). The lingerie bag looks to be perfect.

I do have to say that I don't really believe in the mesh bag theory. If it worked, the paths I have walked in and out of for the last 40 years should be loaded with merkels. I even take the water I clean them up in and dump in the woods, nothing. Mesh bags also get hung up in briars and brush easily.

Attachments

I'm from nearby in Rappahannock county, and while that's where I find most of mine, I have found some nice honey holes in Fauquier. In Virginia, you mostly want to look out for pure Poplar tree groves.
I'm from nearby in Rappahannock county, and while that's where I find most of mine, I have found some nice honey holes in Fauquier. In Virginia, you mostly want to look out for pure Poplar tree groves.

Attachments

I think the season is winding down in my area. Only found a few scattered today and they were starting to look old. The huge centipedes and other critters are out which means the season is getting late.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.