2018 Season Is on its way!!!!

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by Tekquera01, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Tekquera01

Tekquera01 Morel Enthusiast

Happy 2018 to all my fellow hunters!!!! I have already started to monitor our surrounding states forums, I usually start around Valentine's day.....
    The season cannot get here soon enough, however we have a looooong ways to go especially since we have not really had any snow this winter or precipitation. This week is going to make it really hard not to look but pointless at the moment. The trees are starting to bud, the robins are playing, and grass starting to turn:D.
    This season will bring a load of first for me as this will be my first year to hunt without my husband, as I lost him in a tragic vehicle accident November 10, 2017 (RIP My Love). However I will be teaming up with my stepdaughter and her boyfriend, which makes it that much more exciting. I hope with our newest guardian angel by our sides that the 2018 Season gets blown out of the park!!!
    Good luck to everyone, and may the Morel be with you all! Have fun and be safe

2. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

My condolences to you and your family. Wishing you all a blessed morel season.

3. Tekquera01

Thank you Jean!!!!! I'm excited and can't wait. When my husband took me hunting the first time in 2009 he realized he created a monster, he would tell me I'm just like a hound dog .

4. jean marie

My husband isn’t intersted in hunting ANY mushrooms . But he doesn’t complain about eating any.
    If you are ever around my neck of the woods looks me up. I hunt all year long. Thank God for winter oysters.

5. Tekquera01

We had wanted to venture out and look for other shrooms but didn't want to risk it. We were pretty sure we found a HUGE shelf of chanterells or maybe oysters on year but we left them because we were not sure. What neck of the woods are you in? The kids and I are taking a trip down to Louisana and Arkansas in April and were going to scout around in Arkansas a bit while we were there . We are from the great land of OZ, Kansas that is!

1 person likes this.
  6. jean marie

I am located in Yellville, Ar about 10 miles to Buffalo Point Park along the Buffalo River.

7. Mick treks

Mick treks Young Morel

I wish you the best of luck as well and so sorry for your loss. I haven't seen any Robins here in KS/MO area, but the temps seem right. I missed last year altogether so I'm not waiting a minute after 50°. May the Morel be with you!

1 person likes this.
  8. Nita Wilkinson

Nita Wilkinson Young Morel

New to this, but excited.
    I am in the Council Grove area.
    Any tips for beginners ¥

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

around Council Grove you might try cottonwoods on the river or around the lake. Look for ones with dead in them. You do have some dead elm out that way to.

10. Tekquera01

I know exactly where Yellville is, that' where we honeymooned, at the Buffalo river lodge bed and breakfast. It was owned by a gal named Beth and her husband back in 2012 they were from Texas. And the kids and I are making a stop in Calico, and Mtn View and Mtn Home and of coarse imma take her to Yellville so she can see where we stayed in person! We will also be going to the Back Forty

11. Tekquera01

So temps are warming up, we have rain coming looks like next week!!! It sooo much closer now I can smell em!!! Last year we found out first find on April 3rd!!!! the count down is on . Make sure to have plenty of deet/repel/off, wear protective clothing......

12. James Lancaster

James Lancaster Young Morel

13. James Lancaster

James Lancaster Young Morel

Where are you located in kansas

14. jean marie

I’m in Arkansas. North Central Arkansas.

15. Tekquera01

Jean I'll be your way in about a week and ahalf!,

1 person likes this.
  16. ksmorel

ksmorel Morel Enthusiast

Found some in south central kansas today, mostly little, but found 12 or so worth keeping 20180414_093104.jpg 20180414_102934.jpg

17. ksmorelhunter

ksmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

Nice find ksmorel. What county?

18. Tekquera01

19. Tekquera01

Went out today to look for my dog who was missing this morning and went to where we have hunted before ground felt right but was so over grown with brambles and thorns couldn't fully get a good look, unless it get mowed down again our main hunting spot is done for..... leaving early the 19th for Louisiana then will be heading towards Jeans neck of the woods

Sadie Warner likes this.