2018 Shroompocalypse?

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, Apr 29, 2018.

1. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Great info, kb, as always. I think your theories and speculations are right on the mark. I found one today in one of my typically good mushroom veins that stretches a few hundred feet. But there was only one. They might not come this year, and definitely not in the numbers to which I’ve become accustomed. Just the way it is. I doubt I do any bottoms, just not my thing. Always like hearing from you. Very helpful. Cheers!

Crossposted with SG. Your experience mirrors mine. Dumbfounding for sure. Thanks for posting. I’ve been wondering how it was going for ye. Here’s a Daniel Boone quote you might appreciate that I heard at a lit conf in Kentucky a few years ago: “I’ve never been lost but I was bewildered once for two days.”

2. Jones co. morel hunter

Jones co. morel hunter Morel Enthusiast

Don't give up guys! those who put in the time and effort will reep the rewards ' Mother nature isn't that cruel to those who respect her

Dtails, Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.

3. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Just over 200 today. Gray and yellow mix. Nothing bigger than 3 inches; stunted due to lack of moisture. Many showing stress. The last tree (30-inch diameter elm) yielded 120, and only a dozen of those managed 2 inches. The rest were "microshrooms"--mostly about an inch--and many stressed, unable to unfurl due to drought. Worse, about half of them were in nettles or under multiflora bushes.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

pretty good day by my standards, I have yet to find one. But the moister is good with more rain on the way. Congrats SG, and the best to everyone down there.

5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

It was 90 degrees when I got back to the car today, fast forward to summer. I bet that 120 tree was fun SG, what slope was it on? I live for those babies. A person can pick more morels in river bottoms than walking hills anymore due to not as many elm. But hitting loaded elms is more fun to me by far, and does require a little skill element. Walking in circles in bottoms makes me dizzy.

1 person likes this.
  6. mushroommadman

mushroommadman Morel Enthusiast

So any luck today Kb. What a season eh!??? What latitude where you on? One positive thing about it, my yard hasn't grown into a jungle before mushroom season ends.

Dtails likes this.
  7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SW. I know it sounds stupid but hit north slopes already in your territory. I have picked very little on the others. No idea why. Morel gods playing games. Weather on steroids. Spring usually goes north about 100 miles a week. I think it went 300 this week.

1 person likes this.
  8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

madman how the heck are ya.. I've been sweating my A off. We skipped April up here and went from March to June. It has been a weird non spring. You can pick from 36 HW to I-80 now madman depending on your longitude. How is that for a non answer? And that also depends on if you are in hills or bottoms. I will probably be north of the Mo border for the rest of the season. I would not have predicted it would happen this fast 2 weeks ago but 80 in the day and 60 at night is just stupid morel weather. So far this year I am slightly over #30 so I've had a few good days, but the old GPS has me clocked at close to 40 miles of walking to get them, and the driving has only started. Don't know what I will do when I can't do this anymore. Virtual reality morel picking? You been traveling anywhere?

9. mushroommadman

mushroommadman Morel Enthusiast

I hear your pain Kb! I would like to see a normal year for morels sometime again. Thought it was shaping up to be good, but then summer had to arrive. REALLY!! Told my wife this is the worst year I've ever seen and she said you say that every year! I replied, "Trust me this is the worst"!! Southern Iowa is as far north I've been so far. Showed up and the dandelions were brilliant yellow, lilacs weren't blooming, and water puddles were everywhere. Told my wife this looks good. I quickly learned I was wrong. Left 2 days later and the lilacs were in full bloom, puddles dried up, dandelions showing fuzz, and maybe 3lbs of have to do something quickly with mushrooms!! This was Friday 5/4 - Sunday 5/6. Was down at Columbia MO Monday evening the 7th(not mushroom hunting) , and redbuds in some of the hollers were still just as pretty as those in Iowa. I know if I worked at it harder this year I probably could find more, but with all this heat and ticks so bad I just lost my drive. I haven't even had to wear a long sleeve shirt hunting this year! I'm thinking next week I'm gonna hit it north of I-80 at some of my spots. It'll be interesting to see if this is how it's gonna be everywhere. Sounds like they got good rain so hopefully north will pan out. Good Luck and keep me posted.

3 people like this.
  10. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

11. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

Hawkeye, I haven’t checked Sailorville, I went up to Jester the other day and had to make my way around a half dozen other people picking out there so I only gave it a couple hours to no prevail.
    7.5 hours and around 15 miles at three different parks east and west of Cedar Rapids on Saturday yielded zero finds as well. One of the most disparaging trips I think ive ever had. I hope it’s not too late to say that I hope things turn around but I don’t see much for rain in the forecast.

12. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Yeah I can relate to the fellow schroomers out . Everywhere I went. Thinking Ill get out tomorrow and look for abit . Needed that rain to hit us . Sunday I lucked w/some Half-Frees . First time I ever encountered them . 17 of em made a delicious snack . Too bad CedarRapids was a bust for Ya. Family & I was up there for the Rock Mineral & Gemstone show last month. Met alot of really nice local Rockhounds ! Lets hope for bunch of Chicken of the Woods in the upcoming weeks . Happy Hunting !

13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

MadMan, Dang was looking forward to one of your haul pictures! I'll be heading north this friday, maybe with my dad and brother. If so it will be the first time since my mother passed 5 years ago that we have gone together. Dad is 87 so i hope to hit some road elms, but for him its more about the drive and stories now. Sure would like to put him on a couple loaded elm though. Funny thing is he picked about a dozen in his yard the same day i drive 150 miles to get skunked. He let me hear it on that one. Hope you pick boxes of greys madman, I'll keep you posted. Drive safely.

2 people like this.
  14. shroom god

Hey kb, I admire you grindin' it out. That's all a guy can do. I totally hear ya 'bout the heat. It's blazing hot out there. The last couple times I've been out buzzards have been circling overhead--seriously. I hope they aren't telling me something, but nature does tend to speak to us. I damn-near died of the heat out there. This isn't good. Neither is the wind. Shroompocalypse. On my last leg I made my way to a spring trickling clear, cool water. I fashioned a bag to gradually catch some and drank from it like a man who's found an oasis in the desert. Did you hear about those record temps in Pakistan--122 degrees? I digress (as usual).

Elm 120 was bittersweet. So far as quantity, that flush was impressive, likely memorable. But the experience was bittersweet knowing that in year with even halfway normal precipitation, those would have been 3 to 4-inchers. So in a way it haunts me and probably always will. I'll tell this story for as long as I live, buzzards willing.

That's awesome that you're getting out with your dad. I'm planning to do the same with my Father-in-law, soon to be 90. Last year was the first year he hadn't gone to the woods, so we're going to improvise. Hope you guys have a good drive and your spirits soar.

15. shroom god

Should be better up there madman. I'm heading north Friday to do some road hunting with my father-in-law and comb the woods along the Maquoketa River over the weekend. Best of luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  16. shroom god

kb, Elm 120 was at the crest of an east-facing slope, with moderate-to-dense shrubs all around, but sparse ground cover. There's another elm about 75 yards from Elm 120 but on the opposite, west/northwest-facing slope, but lower and down toward a spring. Lots of moss there. Last year I picked about 200 yellows there, then stumbled onto a another patch of 75 mature grays just 20 yards up the slope. It's about 2 miles back in there and I've checked 3 times and not a sign of anything there this year. If you know of a place that offers cheap hip and knee replacements, I may be in the market.

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  17. shroom god

Great to hear you've got good moisture up there Trooper. Hope it holds. Despite the inch of rain we got down here a week ago, the wind has taken a heavy toll on our topsoil moisture. If this continues I'll be twisting my ankles in the cracks in the ground! It's gotta be getting on there. Slay 'em!

Morelofthestory402 likes this.
  18. Morelofthestory402

Morelofthestory402 Morel Enthusiast

Found 3# north of Council bluffs today. And another 2# on Missouri river council bluffs this past Tuesday. Mostly all on the thirsty side. Need rain and a cool down asap.

19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

402, any in the hills? SG, look at the bright side, your morel addiction has kept you fit enough to still take those hikes and now you are still fit enough to take your grand kids. On the other hand I know the pain, it's even worse if you are driving 400 plus miles to take a beating, as I may be tomorrow. The best pain is when you are hauling so many out your shoulders are burning, as I hope to do tomorrow. But if you don't go look you might miss out.

20. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Liking the new found spot. 1st time back since last Friday . Ran acrossed Bigger Yellows ! 40 in total plus 3 more PheasantBacks ! Ground coverage is definitely filling in at a good clip . However Zero Ticks Thursday! 4 of em Sobs last time . Hoping the Ticks died of thirst ! ! Id like to get another week here in DesMoines . Rain Friday morning & night. Saturday too. Along with more rain next week w/the return of the 80deg temps . Any thoughts PolkCo ?