!2018 Southern Michigan Report Here

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by noskydaddy, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Yes, absolutely...

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No, I'm worried as always...

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Maybe. Let the mushrooms gods be merciful!

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

Happy new year fellow hunters. Who's ready to do some hunting?
    I thought I would create a fresh 2018 thread for us again.

If you can be so kind as to post your outings, findings, or other fungi related information here for Southern Michigan, that would be helpful for all of us.

I hope my fellow "Michiganders" are doing well.
    And best of luck this season!

P.S. - New mushie hunters: don't be afraid to ask questions as many of us are eager to help. Myself included. :D:D:D

KristinaHD, Gail Fay, Shmacky and 3 others like this.
  2. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

Can't verify this, but it appears Georgia's starting off the Season again ! Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 6.49.11 AM.png

3 people like this.

3. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

Yes, Jack. I'm pretty sure Alabama and Georgia have been confirmed. Very cool!

Schroom and (deleted member) like this.
  4. outlawditchrunner

outlawditchrunner Young Morel

Sweet. Love seeing those first find picks to confirm the dreams I've been having.

1 person likes this.
  5. jack

I used to go down to southern Ten. , northern Alabama and was finding Whites by the first of April. Never did find any blacks though.

6. bung23

bung23 Morel Enthusiast

I think we’ll have another banner year like we did a couple years ago (2015?). I remember reading that morels have greater numbers after exceptionally cold winters. I’m not sure if that’s true or not, but my best year, numbers-wise, was after a frigid winter. We had a solid month of extremely cold temps this winter, so here’s to hoping!
    Regardless, there will be tons of morels for everyone. People on here years ago used to complain about posting specific locations where morels have been found- saying that all the morels will be picked. I laughed.
    Morel hunting has exploded in SE Mich in the past decade so all the easy roadside spots will certainly be scoured. Just gotta go deeper into the woods after the first week or so of the season. I used to be able to kill it just by hitting spots that I saw from the road. No longer. Maybe a spot or two, but everybody sees those spots and hits em. Easy hunting is usually over after a week around Oakland county.
    Good luck all.....

7. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Looking forward to the upcoming season yet the Nighttime Morel dreams have not started yet. Hope everyone has a great season

Keven ammon likes this.
  8. morelas must-shroom

morelas must-shroom Morel Connoisseur

9. morelas must-shroom

morelas must-shroom Morel Connoisseur

Jack, what part of Tennessee did you hunt. I have been thinking about trying an area a little northwest of Chattanooga sometime, but the elevation is pretty high. Monteagle pass area. If you know an area at lower elevation I'd appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.

10. jack

Ardmore, the main street there divides the town. Half is in Tenn. and the other half is in Alabama, right off I 65.

1 person likes this.
  11. T-rev Bronk

T-rev Bronk Young Morel

Last year 2017, the thaw point was exactly the same as this year, Feb 25th. Although that is true, temps exceeded 70 degrees the week of march 19. Temps STAYED at 58 degrees the rest of march going into April, where temps took off to 65, and then 80 degrees. To say there was an early Morel season would be a understatement. It was a blazing hot spring , but very little precipitation. For me at least, it was hard to find clusters of blond Morels. This year 2018 I think it will be the opposite. It will be a very good season because of the early thaw and late hot weather. As long as tempts exceed 50 degrees at night by April 25th, I think this will ring true. I believe it is better to have later hot weather, as long as the thaw point remains the same. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  12. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

The frequency of Morel dreams is increasing.

13. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

I'm checking in to see if any of yoose guys are still alive. I hope you haven't all frozen to death!

It's so cold my robins have been committing suicide!

Hunting4morels likes this.
  14. Hunting4morels

Hunting4morels Young Morel

Should I be out there looking right now or is it too cold?

15. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

I'd say it's too cold. Who knows... there could be a few blacks popping but I don't want to risk stepping on them while they are still hiding under the debris.

I'm not even going to bother until after the first of May.... I'm headed south to visit friends and family for awhile. Hopefully I'll find some to cook for them while I'm down there.

16. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

What's up dudes.

Just wanted to drop a line letting you know that Kentucky is running 2-3 weeks behind this year.

We may start spotting blacks and greys this weekend but the chances are we won't have and big hauls until the last couple days of April.

Take you time scouting the year the season is delayed for sure.

Best of luck to you all this year.
    Hope this bit of info helps you guys out.

Gail Fay and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Gail Fay

Gail Fay Young Morel

18. Gail Fay

Gail Fay Young Morel

I appreciate this site. Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  19. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Confirmed the season is delayed.

Just started finding over the weekend in Kentucky.

Chickadee likes this.
  20. Cody Ward

Cody Ward Morel Enthusiast

since the season is delayed almost 3 weeks down here in Ohio, would you guys suppose May 10 - 11th would be a good time to take vacation to go up near Cadillac, MI? (Mesick, MI to be exact) for Morels?
    THANKS everyone!