2018 Tennessee finds

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by sustainable forager, Mar 3, 2018.

1. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

Real excited to start picking in TN soon...I make a trip to western TN every year to pick for an older family member who loves them but can't get out anymore. Are the Bradford pears blooming yet? How about dandelions? Redbuds budding? I can't wait to see spring again!

2. motoro

motoro Morel Enthusiast

Bradford pears,dandelion,redbud, all in bloom. Lots of rain and flooding here.
    After posting this I went out and found six blacks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Jamesh and (deleted member) like this.

3. WillyFindEm

WillyFindEm Morel Enthusiast

Where in Tennessee are you? I’m around Center Hill Lake/ Dekalb County and the red buds aren’t blooming yet. Any tips on what trees/area you found those in?

4. Willdemp

Willdemp Young Morel

I'm in the Upper Cumberland area. I searched last season, but was a little too late. Completely new to hunting for these, but I did stumble on a lot of oyster mushrooms last season. I've been out to 2-3 spots in my area, but haven't seen anything at all yet.

We're in for a bit of rain and 60 highs and 40 lows starting around the 17th so hopefully soon they'll pop. Possibly even with this weather moving through tonight/tomorrow but with the cold temps i'm doubting it.

5. motoro

motoro Morel Enthusiast

6. motoro

motoro Morel Enthusiast

I’m in Memphis. I have a spot I check every year near the Wolf River that I find them early around a Sycamore tree.

7. Freddiebeartn

Freddiebeartn Morel Enthusiast

Hello Everyone, I noticed Willdemp was located in the upper Cumberland area. I'm located on the Plateau in Cumberland county. Pretty wet and cold but a little warmer weather coming soon. I very seldom find any this time of year on the Plateau but it wont be long. Pretty excited this year so I'm going to take a short walk after work today just to see. Good luck evryone.

8. Willdemp

Willdemp Young Morel

Hey Freddiebeartn,

I was just in Cumberland County this past weekend, but didn't notice any signs of may apples or morels anywhere I scouted. Good luck to you and keep us informed up there!

9. WillyFindEm

Hey Freddie and Wiildemp, I’m just a couple counties west of y’all so our info oughtta somewhat apply to each other. I saw my first redbuds starting to bloom today. I’ve seen a few mayapples starting to poke up and out but not many. I work in the woods so I’m able to keep an eye on things. Not really seeing any other mushroom species yet.

Looks like the weather is gonna start warming up over the next week so maybe we’ll start to get some action. Y’all keep me posted!

10. WillyFindEm

Freddie, when you’ve found them in the past what kind of area/timber were they in?

11. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

Those are black morels?

12. sustainable forager

Those are greys that turn into yellows

13. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

So what would you call these? Last year's mushrooms. . I figured they were deliciosa

Attached Files:

14. bev

bev Morel Connoisseur

looks like grey and yellow

15. WillyFindEm

Where are you at Jamesh and what type of area and when did you find them last year?

16. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Those are not the grays that turn into the big yellows. They are the deliciosa and they usually don’t get taller than 4 inches and many will only be an inch or two. I have seen them in many different colors and shades of yellow, tan, grey and some that were almost pure white. I typically find those near poplar and hickory in the hills.

2 people like this.
  17. sustainable forager

Definitely deliciosa

1 person likes this.
  18. keithpowers1977

keithpowers1977 Young Morel

Any reports around the Knoxville area yet?

19. Freddiebeartn

Freddiebeartn Morel Enthusiast

I've lived in Tennessee for 24 years. I've only hunted Morels in the last five years here. 90 % of our finds are in ares around rivers, creeks, and streams. Mostly in the bottom and then about 1/4 way up hill off water. Seams like it dries out so fast here in the south that very seldom have i found off water shed areas. I did go out this last weekend and didn't find any. More rain for us but temps are looking better. We hunt Morels mostly on our leases that are timbered pines that the creeks are left with Hard timber. Oaks, Maple with little bit of sun and shade. I be going out on Wednesday and the weekend again.

20. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Creeks always seem to do good one place we never really find them are river bottoms

mnhunter11 and John1965 like this.