2018 Tennessee finds

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by sustainable forager, Mar 3, 2018.

1. John1965

John1965 Morel Enthusiast

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, was more worried to try and validate the pic. WARM rain that should help pull the morels out of the ground

Marilyn Cooper likes this.
  2. Jason Stivers

Jason Stivers Young Morel

No, but they were really small and what I call arrow head morels. No blacks grays or yellows yest.

3. Jason Stivers

Jason Stivers Young Morel

They are what is call arrow heads. No yellows or grays yet. Found them behind my house in a little thicket of Japanese honeysuckle

4. WillyFindEm

WillyFindEm Morel Enthusiast

Nice job John! What kind of area?

John1965 likes this.
  5. John1965

Creek bottom in a southern facing "holler"...well draining area, lots of Sycamore trees around the drip line of the bigger ones. I think its a bit early, we got a warm rain and that should motivate some growth. I went out today in a different area and found some fresh Pheasants tails, dryad saddles but no morels.

6. alliumnate

alliumnate Young Morel

The one that i found is in a very similar spot.....under the canopy of a large sycamore on the south facing slope of a wet weather creek. It's been a reliable hunting spot over the last couple of years for me, and the first place i look.

I only had a few minutes after work last night to check the area. Couldn't find any more. With the rain, I'm hoping for a good batch this weekend.

Rummie48 and John1965 like this.
  7. Freddiebeartn

Freddiebeartn Morel Enthusiast

Well Fellow Shroomers, I found my first black of the year. Didn't have much time that I hit the woods very late yesterday after work and got dark on me. Found in my main honey hole here in Cumberland county, Turkey season starts on Saturday so we always turkey hunt and find Morels. Nothing like Wild Turkey and morels cooking in a cast Iron skillet over a camp fire.

Attached Files:

8. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Congrats! Sounds like a feast for kings to me! I smoked a wild turkey breast on applewood recently and rehydrated the last of my dried black morels and concocted a batch of cream of morel soup. Not intending to ruffle your feathers but that shroom looks like a grey that would become a big yellow.

9. Freddiebeartn

No sir you can't ruffle my feathers here, I'll take all the knowledge from you ya I can. Now that i think about it I've never found blacks in that area. What you said makes sense. let me ask you this please. are blacks and yellows found separately, like area or will they both come up in same area ?

1 person likes this.
  10. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

In KY I never find the big yellow/greys in the same environment that I find the blacks. However, I do find the smaller yellow/greys/white in the exact environments (hickory/poplar woods) as the blacks just as the blacks start to peter out. Usually on east or north facing hillsides or ridgetops.

John1965 likes this.
  11. John1965

Dang good eyes to spot that one! congrats!

12. Freddiebeartn

Thank you Brother, I appreciate the info.

John1965 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous Young Morel

New batch near Memphis

Attached Files:

14. StephieK

StephieK Young Morel

Found these 4/1 in charlotte, TN under a persimmon tree near an old creek bed.

Attached Files:

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Morel Enthusiast

Those favor the looks of a false Morel
    But I don’t know everything

16. StephieK

StephieK Young Morel

Oh no they’re the real deal. The false morels are less symmetrical and more reddish. Been hunting morels for about 40 years...these are mostly greys but did find a surprisingly nice sized yellow (not pictured) a little after these. I think we are at the start of a good shrooming season.
    As a tip, you can for sure tell a false model once you cut it in half. The real ones will have a hollow core whereas the false ones will be much more stem filled and meaty in the middle.

17. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

My first thought was Morchella diminutiva. But I don't know everything either.

How big are they?

2 people like this.
  18. StephieK

StephieK Young Morel

Average cap size was about 2” a few were larger. These had the standard short and broader stems than the species you mentioned which have longer skinny stems and are generally on the smaller size. We found some smaller ones but left them to grow.

19. John1965

20. John1965

For sure morels, not even close to false morels.