2018 Texas Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by morelorel, Feb 1, 2018.

1. morelorel

morelorel Morel Enthusiast

Hey Texans! it's February and right about now is when the fever starts to get to me. I hope the cold winter and moist fall give us a good season this year we deserve it after two bad years in a row. Who else is gettin ready?

2. Snipe

Snipe Young Morel

This will be my first season in south Texas. Been in Ohio for the past 17 years, so I'm looking forward to the new challenge. I was out walking the dog yesterday, and realized that it was starting to feel like mushroom season. Just not used to it happening so early.

Donnie danko likes this.

3. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

What part of Texas

ditchrunner likes this.
  4. tommyjosh

When do you think they’ll start poppin

ditchrunner likes this.
  5. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Ditchrunner - I usually start dreaming about them about beginning of March (Ohio). Ha!!

ditchrunner likes this.
  6. tommyjosh

We all have the dreams every once in awhile

7. tommyjosh

The flooding may affect your area you guys have got soooo much rain...

8. DNance

DNance Morel Enthusiast

1 person likes this.
  9. DNance

DNance Morel Enthusiast

All right fellow foragers. North Texas hunter relocated to San Antonio 3 years ago and getting the itch. I’ve only had 1 really successful season down south but I know the spots in Collin Grayson and Cook county. If your a northern hunter with viable hill country spots let’s do some info swapping to help us both. Hit me up. If you don’t have any southern info I’m still game to trek the woods up north when I make the journey so I’ll let you know when I’m taking the 35 north trek and I’m always willing to share info but bring your spots as well. Good luck to everyone this year!!!!

10. Mycophilic

Mycophilic Young Morel

hey ditchrunner, do you do pretty well In the DFW area? Ive been in Arlington for about 3 years now and haven't found a single morel yet!

ditchrunner likes this.
  11. Shrek73

Shrek73 Young Morel

This too is my first year hunting in Texas. Last Easter I found some back at my mother's house in IL, and that brought back itch to go moral hunting. The season apparently starts much sooner than up North.

I will be searching North of DFW near Lake Bridgeport this weekend.

ditchrunner likes this.
  12. Rsmart

Rsmart Morel Enthusiast

Went to three different locations in Collin county today and nothing yet.

Nickster likes this.
  13. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Connoisseur

Still too early, folks! I know that's not going to stop any of us from being in the woods this weekend, but the Red Buds are only just starting, and we're not likely to see morels until a solid week after they are fully bloomed out. It's going to be a later season because of this extended cool wet weather, but hopefully that means a good season. Let's just pray those typical high 80s days we get in early March don't sweep in with a vengeance next week!

1 person likes this.
  14. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Hey Derek, its Nate. If you are ever in north texas and dont mind I would love to go with you. I always drive down from Oklahoma once or twice a year trying ro find that illusive Texas Morel. I have found a lot of spots where they are not... I have only found a couple in 2 spots.

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

you guys wear anything for snakes down that way? Last i saw texas had like 6 different kinds of rattlers, copperheads, moccasins, and coral snakes, or are those all somewhere else in Texas. Not afraid of snakes as long as i don't step on poisonous ones, i just have coppers, and 2 types of rattlers to deal with up here in NW Mo. no big deal.

ditchrunner likes this.
  16. Rsmart

Rsmart Morel Enthusiast

Lately I've been wearing tall mud boots with all this rain but when it's drier I have tall snake boots that I so wear while hunting. I have yet to run into any snake other than rat snakes but I have only lived in North Texas for a few years. So looking at temps and soil temps shouldn't we be seeing some morels popping up?

17. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

Think we are still a bit early, but I've started going out every weekend. One thing to keep in mind, most reported soil temps are for ag land so open/plowed fields...temps in the woods lag behind that substantially.

18. ilmorelgirlintx

ilmorelgirlintx Morel Enthusiast

I can feel the season getting closer!! Usually hunt in So. Central Oklahoma, but want to venture into Texas where I live. Any areas in N. TX/DFW/East TX worth looking? I know it’s still a few weeks away...

Nickster and Nette1 like this.
  19. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

Just took a weekend trip to East taxes. How is East texas for mushrooms? Around Marshall tx. and Greenwood la.

20. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Connoisseur

That's chanterelle country in a wet May and June, but morels aren't found abundantly in that region. Not saying they aren't there, but you're not likely to come back with a haul.