2018 Texas Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by morelorel, Feb 1, 2018.

1. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Connoisseur

I should also mention... This may be a rare year in Texas if the rains return. The morels aren't even up yet and it's almost mid March, with tomorrow's North Texas lows in the 30s and the redbuds only just starting. It's a very strange year and if I can ever get out of the kitchen, I'm eager to see what the woods have in store for us!

2. Blueyedbabygrl2014

Blueyedbabygrl2014 Morel Enthusiast

I understand. I was just hoping to find some a little closer is all. We will have to go back to Ohio sometime. Ill just plan that trip in morel hunting season. Thanks again.

3. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

- What a gorgeous mushroom. This is a somewhat peculiar facet from Mother Nature as beautiful-looking, tempting specimens like these almost always are synonymous for poisonous/deadly. If you happen to drive by Norman, just let me know; my fiancee and I always appreciate meeting folks like you who hold a dear appreciation for the art of cooking. If the time is right, we may also go out for a foray nearby. I know quite a few spots around town, which produce decently - even on bad years (akin to the last 2). Since you are a chef, may I suggest a French classic on the topic (comedy) with Louis de Funes called "La soupe aux choux (1981)". The Brothers TroisGros are good friends of ours (including the one who owns a restaurant in Tokyo). My brother lives there and takes the opportunity to try out his outstanding creations (occasionally, naturally!).

4. benthegrate

I'll have to check out that film, and I'll definitely take you up on the kind invite. I'll have to bring you some of my homemade gin, distilled with a fallen cone from the oldest tree in the world!

Here is a course from my restaurant's latest menu, a tribute to Bocuse. This is his Truffle Soup V.G.E. and under the mille-feuille is an ungodly amount of Perigord truffles, morels reconstituted from last year's harvest, and foie gras:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. iwonagain

iwonagain Morel Connoisseur

Decadent creation for sure; I am sure this recipe could easily be converted into a vol-au-vent equivalent - You should open a sister restaurant in OKC :)

6. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

Also maitake have one of the best nutty, meaty flavors, and black trumpets have the most interesting texture and earthy flavor

1 person likes this.
  7. benthegrate

Very much agreed, we serve maitake/hen of the woods at my restaurant more than any other mushroom. It tastes like bacon when cooked to a crisp, and we often have vegetarian diners accuse us of putting bacon in their dishes for that very reason.

This mushroom, the orange milk cap, is actually one of my very favorite edibles that fruits prolifically in wet summers. It's absolutely delectable:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. benthegrate

I can't confirm this personally, but the wild mushroom hunter's group out of Austin has stated that morels were found in Austin this past weekend. No photo confirmation, but it's past time for the Hill Country anyway.

9. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Morel Connoisseur

Maitake, one of my personal favs!

1 person likes this.
  10. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

benthegrate - most excellent looking YUM!

11. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Morel Connoisseur

R.I.P Chef Bocuse, you were a inspiration to a whole generation of chefs, me included. Nice soufflé Chef!!!

12. Keith Miller

Keith Miller Young Morel

13. Keith Miller

Keith Miller Young Morel

Can you tell me how far south in Texas Morels can be found? I'm in North Houston... Woodlands, Conroe area. Trying to get in on the hunt. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

14. L0729moore

L0729moore Young Morel

Good evening, I live in Austin and found about a dozen today. Several were pretty dry on finding though. I am fairly new to this can/should the dry ones be eaten? I took them anyway not knowing. I am basically self taught as well so it can be done. 20180316_161325.jpg

15. L0729moore

L0729moore Young Morel

Would you be willing to provide the name or link to the Austin Mushroom Group? I have always hunted on my own but it might be fun to get involved with a group.

16. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

I'm reluctant to say they don't grow anywhere. But the conventional wisdom is that morels are not prolific down toward Houston. The primary areas in TX where folks talk about morels are the Hill Country and along the Red River. I have historically done better in the Hill Country.

17. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

https://www.meetup.com/Texas-Wild-Mushrooming-Club/ . They seem to be mostly active in Austin

L0729moore likes this.
  18. Orchidtreelady

Orchidtreelady Young Morel

I found some yesterday in burnet county. first time to find them. Is there a certain window that you typically look for them? Like after rain, certain temperatures, etc? 54175652-FD34-4C5F-9317-5EEFC2D6CE7D.jpeg 1ADC0D7B-F128-45EC-B71C-B40D7334ED2C.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. benthegrate

There are only isolated reports from the acid soils of East Texas. Your area is prime for chanterelles and boletes in summer and fall, but not for morels. Head west until you hit the alkaline soils of the Hill Country and look under juniper trees. Get west of the Balcones Escarpment, which divides the cities of Austin and San Antonio in half. You won't find much in east Austin. But I've found them along the creeks and on top of the hills in the hilly parts of West Austin. Just don't hunt State Parks...they handed out a really stiff fine last year for morel hunting.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    2 people like this.
  20. benthegrate

If spring rains keep the soil moist, the season will run for a couple or three weeks. But a solid week of mid to high 80s without rain will end the season, which is very common for the Hill Country. The season down there CAN be prolific, but is normally very short. It can begin any time from late February to mid March, depending on soil temperature and moisture. Keep watch on the forums to know when the season has started, and then hunt as often as you can, as it will usually end pretty quickly. It's rare for us to have a month-long-or-longer season like they do further north where it doesn't heat up and dry out so quickly.