2019!! Arkansas

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by glassman, Feb 23, 2019.

1. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

Understood. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole but just a general location. And the 1/4 will end up being 65% of all morels found that day. I’m saying we split 50/50 and then I’ll give another 25% of my collection to the guide so a total of 65%. And I’m just trying to make sure I have content for the show so I’m not looking for a honey hole. But anyways I have plotted out some areas using a topo but since I’ve never hunted Arkansas I’ll be starting at scratch. Just trying to ensure I have video content. I have a couple small holes I take friends to to show them what to look for and I keep my honey for myself. So any suggestions on state parks up north AR? That was the basis for my post

2. arkanshrooms

arkanshrooms Morel Connoisseur

In Arkansas, it's illegal to hunt in State Parks. You can hunt them in the Ozark - St. Francis National Forest, Buffalo National River, and Ouachita National Forest.

3. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

Oh wow... that’s odd. Looks like it’s back to the maps then. Thank you for telling me that. I’m a guest and do not want to make the rangers mad

1 person likes this.
  4. arkanshrooms

Every state is different. I hunt other states where they let you hunt in State Parks. In Arkansas, everything in a State Park is protected.

5. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

This is true unless you join AMS, then we are ALLOWED to hunt but ONLY during group forays with Jay Justice (Arkansas’s Mycologist).

3 people like this.
  6. arkanshrooms

That's true, Jbarr, but AMS has special permission granted by the State Parks because we make a scientific report on the mushroom species we found in the state parks. They don't let us continue foraging whenever we want, and we don't take out huge numbers of any one type of mushrooms, like a forager might do.

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Barf.... :confused:

8. woodsygirl

woodsygirl Morel Enthusiast

I'm in south central KS and began hunting morels, as a child, with my grandpa. I continue to do so, on my own. However, the last few yrs., trekking along the Ark. R., south of Wichita, has become problematic. So much land is either developed, or private, and, I just simply have not come across many morels in my usual haunts. Can anyone direct me to more probable locations, in KS? Thank you so much.

9. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

This is why I stressed the word “ONLY”.....

2 people like this.
  10. arkanshrooms

This is an Arkansas forum. Did you try posting on the Kansas board?

11. arkanshrooms

A friend found morels pinning in Benton county. We need a good warm week.

Jbarr and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

Next week looks better here in Marion County, no freezing temps forecasted. Still not seeing any mayapples or redbuds though. Pastorj on the Georgia forum said their season began 2 wks late this year. Wonder if we will follow this trend?

1 person likes this.
  13. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

JBarr - may I ask if that's a plumeria flower in your hair?

Jbarr likes this.
  14. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

Yes it is. But it’s a snap chat photo, so unfortunantly the flower isn’t real but I am lol. Plumeria smell heavenly btw.

15. arkanshrooms

It seems later this year, and wetter too. No Redbuds here yet either.

Jbarr likes this.
  16. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

I thought it was; looks like the real deal, snap chat or not. Plumeria are amazing and very fragrant. I lived in Hawaii for 'bout 10-years. Left there in the early 90s; miss so much from there!!!!! Never did go shroomin' for morels while I was there. :( I've read they can be found there but very few and far??

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Jbarr likes this.
  17. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

I would love to visit Hawaii, all I would do is eat all the wild edibles lol. I love to forage lol. Plus I am sure it is BEAUTIFUL!

1 person likes this.
  18. mmyers

mmyers Young Morel

Anyone here who hunts successfully in central AR, particularly pulaski co (but including saline, garland, jefferson counties). I would love to start foraging with my 11 y.o. son.

19. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

Already starting in northwestern Arkansas?? Seems a bit early??

1 person likes this.
  20. arkanshrooms

Same time as last year for that particular spot.

Jbarr likes this.