2019!! Arkansas

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by glassman, Feb 23, 2019.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nick buddy we don't care about getting on video. We just love to pick morels, lots of morels if at all possible. Some of these folks have been doing this their entire lives as a family tradition. Some of us have picked morels in almost all the states within driving distance and then some. And we all did it just the way arkanshrooms said, you just got to roll the dice and go look. Heck sometimes the unknown is half the fun. I gave you a couple of my thoughts back on the Mo. forum, sure hope you pick and film boxes of them.

Jbarr likes this.
  2. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

Is this JJ??

Jbarr and (deleted member) like this.

3. morelchef

morelchef Morel Enthusiast

50% and 25% for a total of 65%, Nick do you math much?

4. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

100 lbs x .5 = 50. 50 x .25 = 12.5. 12.5 + 50 = 62.5 (62.5%).

5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Dang math, it even screws up morel posts. Just do the new math like our gov., need money just print some. We will let the future generations worry about it. Oh I forgot, they want everything free anyway. Sorry no morels yet and getting bored. Believe me you don't want to see my math. But at least I can balance a budget.

6. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

So close... yet so far away....
    I was already picking this time last year.. The only thing I picked today were the ticks off my jeans (I think I am a tick magnet)... Trout lilies (aka dogtooth violets) are blooming. The leaves make for a sweet tasty treat.

3 people like this.
  7. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

9CFC1AC0-4CCE-4D2E-AD15-E26B543E97FC.jpeg
    This is the only way I know to completely avoid the tick issue.

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Dang Old Elm, that's only the skeeter born stuff. They need to list all the tick stuff too! Old Elm knows, that is the good stuff. If I could drink it so my pores would leak it I would. I coat boots, socks, and everything up. No ticks. Some places are impossible to hunt without it. Get sucked dry and get who knows what. Plus you carry the dang things into your car and home/family. Used to make my own solution from concentrate, which was probably stupid, but I hate ticks. Jbarr, where are you at in ARk? You ever hunt the Crowley Ridge area on your east side, or know anyone who has?

9. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

I am in Marion County. Unfortunantly I have not & do not know anyone who has. Looking at the map, Crowley Ridge is a pretty vast area. I don’t travel much except to go on forays with AMS.

10. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Old Elm I will surely give it a try!

11. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks Jbarr, I just like to find new places north or south of me and I read some geologic stuff about the Crowley's Ridge soil that got me interested in its morel possibilities. We have a little of it in SE Mo., but you are right most of it is in Ark. Those winged elm I think you mentioned, do they die from the blight like the other elm species? We do not have those up here. Use that stuff Old Elm suggested, the aerosol spray variety is a little easier to apply than the pump type for convenience. No more ticks.

Jbarr and (deleted member) like this.
  12. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

JeanMarie, is that YOU??? Sure looks like you...right county, AMS... How the heck are you?
    If not how embarrassing for me and I apologize .

13. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

Yes it’s me! Lol
    Doing great, thank you. How are you?

14. ConHawg

ConHawg Morel Enthusiast

Went to 3 spots around Hector where I found mushrooms last year. Nothing. Either it is too early or someone found my spots. I choose to believe it is too early.

-checked last years posts. Apparently I did not find shrooms at Hector until April 8 in 2018. So there is hope.

--Jbarr... I totally forgot to send my $ to AMS this year. So I guess I will miss the foray. That's a bummer as I enjoyed it last year near Dover. Think I will send $ now so I get the newsletters.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  15. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

I'm going a bit stir crazy waiting for winter to end. It snowed today. I'm thinking of making a run down to Arkansas to see family the end of April. Wish I could go now but work prevents that from happening.

Have you found any morels yet? How is the season progressing from last year? Do you still have that beautiful log home you were building? I'm soooo nosy.

Every time I see a lime colored Jeep I think about you.

Jbarr likes this.
  16. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

View attachment 13602 View attachment 13602
    Well today I went out after church and found a few. I was excited and kind of sad as well. Some of them were already dried up, some were already moldy. I checked these spots two weeks ago and they weren’t up yet. Kind of odd. I was so hoping with all the rain we have gotten in the past few months that this season would have been great. I picked what I could, crumbled up what I couldn’t, left maybe 10 total in 3 spots that “might” grow a little bigger. MAYBE more will fruit, guess I will just have to wait and see. Shouldn’t be to bummed, some is always better than none. My blacks haven’t fruited at all... And yes I still live in that house and drive that lime green jeep lol. IMO last year was better but who knows, we have some 70/50 degree days coming, anything is possible. Give me a shout when you head this way. I have access to 1000+ acres.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  17. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

Now would be a good time to send your dues being we haven’t had our morel foray yet.

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

jbarr those certainly look like early ones to me up here.

19. Jbarr

Jbarr Morel Enthusiast

kb, I certainly hope so, but I have never had them fruit more than once in a season in the same spot. Time will tell.

20. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Jbarr, well I hope you find some new spots if those have done the best they can. Any streams or rivers nearby that are public?

Jbarr likes this.