Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2019!! Arkansas

23K views 69 replies 19 participants last post by  Jbarr 
#1 ·
Hello everyone is getting close. Alabama is on the board.

#15 ·
Pretty cold day today in Marion County. I am anxious for spring but not for the severe storms and possibility for tornados. Devasted for those in Alabama, such a loss of life. Close call for us a couple of weeks ago, had an F1 touch down about a 1/2 mile from my home. Can see the path it took from my front porch....we don’t have a storm cellar either, it was very frightening but over in just a few minutes.. And now storms are forecasted for this weekend. You all stay safe out there.

#19 ·
Hi there everyone. So I’m going to be filming a YouTube show morel hunting called “Following the Season”. I’m from St. Louis Mo area and I’ll be starting my Morel season in beautiful northern Arkansas near the Mo border. Can anyone give me some advice or willing to take me with them for one weekend? I’ll give 1/4 of what I collect to you as guide payment. I’m def not rich and looking to bring some back to Missouri to sell but I’m really focused on getting my YouTube career going. You can find me on YouTube Sticky Stein and you can see how my 2018 mushroom season went if you scroll through my videos. You can find me on YouTube, Facebook and Instagram as Sticky Stein. I would love to go out and have a successful morel season with you. Thank you and HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!! And it would only be a weekend and I’ll camp so I don’t need any room and board. Just a guide to help me film the season. More details on the show can be found on my Instagram.

#20 ·
NickS, I doubt you'll get anyone willing to show you where to hunt. If you know what you're doing, you don't need help. I hunt morels in multiple states and I just look at maps, find areas where I can safely hunt with public access and then hit the woods. You need to do a little work to figure out each state's laws on where it's legal to hunt. You could make a good video showing people how to find morels in new areas by just doing it. Why would we want 1/4 of the morels you find with us when we can have 100% of the morels we find on our own. All the partnerships I have ever made in the mushroom hunting world are either 50/50 or based on cold hard cash.

#21 ·
Understood. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole but just a general location. And the 1/4 will end up being 65% of all morels found that day. I’m saying we split 50/50 and then I’ll give another 25% of my collection to the guide so a total of 65%. And I’m just trying to make sure I have content for the show so I’m not looking for a honey hole. But anyways I have plotted out some areas using a topo but since I’ve never hunted Arkansas I’ll be starting at scratch. Just trying to ensure I have video content. I have a couple small holes I take friends to to show them what to look for and I keep my honey for myself. So any suggestions on state parks up north AR? That was the basis for my post

#28 ·
I'm in south central KS and began hunting morels, as a child, with my grandpa. I continue to do so, on my own. However, the last few yrs., trekking along the Ark. R., south of Wichita, has become problematic. So much land is either developed, or private, and, I just simply have not come across many morels in my usual haunts. Can anyone direct me to more probable locations, in KS? Thank you so much.

#41 ·
Nick buddy we don't care about getting on video. We just love to pick morels, lots of morels if at all possible. Some of these folks have been doing this their entire lives as a family tradition. Some of us have picked morels in almost all the states within driving distance and then some. And we all did it just the way arkanshrooms said, you just got to roll the dice and go look. Heck sometimes the unknown is half the fun. I gave you a couple of my thoughts back on the Mo. forum, sure hope you pick and film boxes of them.

#48 ·
Dang Old Elm, that's only the skeeter born stuff. They need to list all the tick stuff too! Old Elm knows, that is the good stuff. If I could drink it so my pores would leak it I would. I coat boots, socks, and everything up. No ticks. Some places are impossible to hunt without it. Get sucked dry and get who knows what. Plus you carry the dang things into your car and home/family. Used to make my own solution from concentrate, which was probably stupid, but I hate ticks. Jbarr, where are you at in ARk? You ever hunt the Crowley Ridge area on your east side, or know anyone who has?

#51 ·
thanks Jbarr, I just like to find new places north or south of me and I read some geologic stuff about the Crowley's Ridge soil that got me interested in its morel possibilities. We have a little of it in SE Mo., but you are right most of it is in Ark. Those winged elm I think you mentioned, do they die from the blight like the other elm species? We do not have those up here. Use that stuff Old Elm suggested, the aerosol spray variety is a little easier to apply than the pump type for convenience. No more ticks.

#54 · (Edited)
Went to 3 spots around Hector where I found mushrooms last year. Nothing. Either it is too early or someone found my spots. I choose to believe it is too early.

-checked last years posts. Apparently I did not find shrooms at Hector until April 8 in 2018. So there is hope.

--Jbarr... I totally forgot to send my $ to AMS this year. So I guess I will miss the foray. That's a bummer as I enjoyed it last year near Dover. Think I will send $ now so I get the newsletters.

#55 ·
Yes it’s me! Lol
Doing great, thank you. How are you?
I'm going a bit stir crazy waiting for winter to end. It snowed today. I'm thinking of making a run down to Arkansas to see family the end of April. Wish I could go now but work prevents that from happening.

Have you found any morels yet? How is the season progressing from last year? Do you still have that beautiful log home you were building? I'm soooo nosy.

Every time I see a lime colored Jeep I think about you.

#56 ·
View attachment 13602 View attachment 13602
I'm going a bit stir crazy waiting for winter to end. It snowed today. I'm thinking of making a run down to Arkansas to see family the end of April. Wish I could go now but work prevents that from happening.

Have you found any morels yet? How is the season progressing from last year? Do you still have that beautiful log home you were building? I'm soooo nosy.

Every time I see a lime colored Jeep I think about you.
Well today I went out after church and found a few. I was excited and kind of sad as well. Some of them were already dried up, some were already moldy. I checked these spots two weeks ago and they weren’t up yet. Kind of odd. I was so hoping with all the rain we have gotten in the past few months that this season would have been great. I picked what I could, crumbled up what I couldn’t, left maybe 10 total in 3 spots that “might” grow a little bigger. MAYBE more will fruit, guess I will just have to wait and see. Shouldn’t be to bummed, some is always better than none. My blacks haven’t fruited at all... And yes I still live in that house and drive that lime green jeep lol. IMO last year was better but who knows, we have some 70/50 degree days coming, anything is possible. Give me a shout when you head this way. I have access to 1000+ acres.

Attachments

#57 ·
Went to 3 spots around Hector where I found mushrooms last year. Nothing. Either it is too early or someone found my spots. I choose to believe it is too early.

-checked last years posts. Apparently I did not find shrooms at Hector until April 8 in 2018. So there is hope.

--Jbarr... I totally forgot to send my $ to AMS this year. So I guess I will miss the foray. That's a bummer as I enjoyed it last year near Dover. Think I will send $ now so I get the newsletters.
Now would be a good time to send your dues being we haven’t had our morel foray yet.

#65 ·
I did send in my dues. But I have been checking all of my spots every weekend so I'll miss the foray, lol. Found around 15 big yellows near Hector in Pope County. This morning saw 11 nice ones in Searcy County. They looked like they could grow a bit more so I will go back Friday for harvest. Betcha there are a few more that I did not see. It was raining and I was cold. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.