! 2019 Chanterelles and other Summer Shrooms

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by Kokomorel, May 19, 2019.

1. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

Hey kokomorel here I have been hunting summer shrooms for 3yrs Im no expert by any means. Thought Id start this trend on summer shrooms morel season is slowing down here in Indiana its time to start thinking about chants,oysters,chicken of the woods and others. Lets all get out there with family and friends and share our knowledge and pics to each another. GOOD LUCK SHROOMING

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    5 people like this.
  2. Kokomorel

3. Kokomorel

My Last years first finds were oysters first week in June Chants first week in July

3 people like this.
  4. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

Hope to spend more time in the woods this summer, but that means less time on the water, tough choices.

5. Kokomorel

But them shrooms will go good with them fish

2 people like this.
  6. Morel Momma

Morel Momma Morel Enthusiast

I am ready! I actually like that the summer and fall mushrooms aren't as popular to hunt. It is hard to find good batches of morels on public property. Once people realize what you are finding, they start looking too and turn a good bag for one hunter into a bunch of small bags for multiple hunters. I just started hunting the summer and fall last season and my family actually likes them better than morels.

5 people like this.
  7. Kokomorel

People will be surprised what they are missing out on

1 person likes this.
  8. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Jashroomer, Do both, I fish in the morning and shroom in the afternoon.
    Parasols, Pike & Boletes
    SAM_0242.JPG

Gills & Chanterelles
    SAM_0182.JPG

Smelt, Peppers & Oyster Mushrooms
    IMGP0010.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hey, Jack. Seriously good looking plates of great food!

Good to hear from you.

3 people like this.
  10. Kokomorel

2 people like this.
  11. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Over here in "Buckeye Nation" the Chants in July & August were so plentiful last year that I became extremely quality conscious. There were times I'd only pick 1 out of 25 Chants. Perhaps hard to imagine, or maybe I'm just easily satisfied, Ha!

1 person likes this.
  12. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I'm in koko, let me know when we're ready to go out.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  13. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

What you say about morels is surely true, but the rest kind of depends on where you are. I live in Youngstown, OH which has a large population of Italian heritage, and those folks love their hens! My Italian step-Grandma would simmer the petals in spaghetti sauce and serve them with pasta. You didn't need meatballs with that dish!

There's a large county metropark near me where hunting and gathering is supposedly forbidden. I'll go walking around out there and see others doing what I'm doing. Seems that we "gatherers" can always spot each other. Last year I was on a mission to find hens, and with the substantial oak woods in the park, thought to look there. I hunted an area and found nothing, but walking back to the truck passed a large red oak that wasn't 10 feet from the parking lot. I noticed an odd white spot near the base of the tree and checked it out. Turned out to be the cut stump of a hen that someone had harvested! Checking further around the tree I found another hen hidden by weeds. I kept an eye on it and harvested it about 2 weeks later. My first.

Then I had an idea. My step-Grandma lived not far from the park, and a guy who also lived in her neighborhood would give her hens. So, I thought to look in that area of the park. Checked it out and there was road access and parking, so let's go. I found hens all over the place! All around red oak, even though there are some absolutely enormous, old white oaks in there.

I'll post a pic of the prettiest, young hen I have ever seen. That is if I can find it!

Well, that's not it! I have so many pic files saved that it's hard to find the right one. And I don't really like how Win 10 shows photo files. This is a small one I found in a city park 2 blocks from me. Let me try again.

Oh, jeez! I did something wrong and deleted the pic I posted! I'm only semi computer literate, but I'd recognize the folder that the pic I want is in, but I can't find it for some reason! DSCN0228.JPG DSCN0228.JPG

This isn't it either. I noticed while scrolling though my pic files that some numbers are missing. This is a "new to me" computer, and I backed up my old data files on a thumb drive and had the computer shop download them to my new machine. Then I had to download the Nikon pic software to the new machine once I got it home. I guess everything doesn't go perfectly!

14. cahibomom

cahibomom Young Morel

Enthusiastic rookie here! Didn’t knock it out of the park hunting morels like many of you. No complaints here! I found more than ever b4 and had a blast. Wanting to continue the fun and learning through the summer. Instead of quietly stalking you on this thread, I thought I say hello!

15. Kokomorel

Will do when are you going up north

2 people like this.
  16. Kokomorel

Hello cahibomom keep in touch we’ll all learn together

3 people like this.
  17. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Leaving this Thursday, looking killer up there. Imagine our Indiana season this year on steroids.
    Hope I just didn't jinx my trip.

18. Kokomorel

Hope you get a truck load GOOD LUCK

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    2 people like this.
  19. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

My credit sucks so I can't get a loan. I'd like to get a truck load of morels though. LOL

20. Kokomorel

Ya my spelling sucks lol

1 person likes this.