Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2019 FALL MUSHROOMS PA

23K views 156 replies 26 participants last post by  beagleboy 
#1 ·
Well got a report from one of my scouts that he has hens coming up in his yard. I'll have to swing by and check it out today. With fall right around the corner, it's time for the fall report. Still would like to see a late summer flush of chants and trumpets. Happy Hunting!

#2 ·
trahn, do you think the amount of precipitation has a lot to do with how good the hen flush is. We haven't had much rain up here in the last month, I know that you have had dry weather in your area too. The chanterelles have been really spotty and the black trumpets were almost nonexistent. I am hoping the hens will be on the trees that I found them last year, even if they aren't as big, I should have enough to freeze some.

#5 ·
We're getting some significant precip now (NE Ohio, western PA) for the first time in a long time. This weekend I'll go hike that ridge again to see if there might be a last hurrah on Chants. Then I'll go check my hen spot. It's been so dry here that my veggie garden that was drowning in June I was watering in August and September.

I've only found a few boletes this year, and none in the usual spots. A few came up in my Chant spot, but it was strange. I'd go looking and find some Chants but no boletes. 4 days late I'm in the same exact spot and there ARE boletes, that are already going to pot! They were as yellow as French's mustard so my eyes would have been drawn by that color when hunting Chants. Never saw boletes like that before.

#8 ·
That's exactly what I did. They could only have been a few days old, and they looked shot! Had never seen boletes that color before! Like I said, they were the color of French's mustard, and I'm not talking about their version of Dijon!

We got less rain than I was hoping for out of this last system, about an inch. The radar made it look like Hell was coming to dinner, but we got what we got. Something came up for Saturday, so I'll head out tomorrow morning for a quick look, and then again Sunday morning for something more thorough.

#9 ·
Just my thoughts. I think we have to wait for the temps to go back down to the 50's at night. Right now it is just way to hot for significant late summer and fall fruiting. I just found with my garden giants that no rain and high temps has stopped fruiting. I even tried watering - no help. Give it a week . It looks like we will be back in the 70's by the 22nd and upper 50's at night. Happy hunting!

#10 ·
I agree. It was forecast to be in the low 80's today, but we almost hit 90 and muggy as hell! That cancelled my walk in the woods. I figured I'd sweat like a horse, and the bugs would be all over me. We're supposed to get some significant precip tonight with the passing of a cold front, but who knows? The forecasters don't seem to know what's up lately!

#12 ·
Starting to see a few honey mushrooms popping up hear and there. Its getting close fellas for them and the hens. Found a new spot i am hoping produces. Oak tree after Oak tree and many are on the edges of fields and logging roads. Guys on hear say hens loves to grow on edges. Good luck and happy hunting. Worst summer i can ever remember for chants and trumpets. Did not find a single trumpet in all the spots that i have. I easily fill grocery bags full of chants and trumpets but not this year. Hoping the fall mushrooms make up for it.

#17 ·
Went out today to hike the hardwood ridge where I've found some Chants. Found a couple of spikes, but nothing substantial. We got a pretty good rain, about 2 inches. The forest floor on that ridge definitely felt much softer under my feet than it has prior. Maybe it needs just a few more days for a new flush to happen. So, I'll go back on Tuesday to see if anything is happening.

#26 ·
Took the beagle for a couple hour walk and found some honeys and a chicken that was so fresh that I guess you would have to call it a peep. When I cut it the water actually ran out of it. Mifflin county View attachment 23596 View attachment 23598
Those are some fantastic looking Chickens! Please say you harvested & ate some!.....(BTW, great photos!)

#21 ·
Played golf today and found a stump behind a tee that supported a heavy flush of mushrooms that superficially resembled chickens. The tops were brown, tan and white, and the bottoms were a fluorescent green! I have never seen anything like them before. They were quite large, and they felt like they were starting to get a little old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.