2019 FALL MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Sep 10, 2019.

1. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Played golf today and found a stump behind a tee that supported a heavy flush of mushrooms that superficially resembled chickens. The tops were brown, tan and white, and the bottoms were a fluorescent green! I have never seen anything like them before. They were quite large, and they felt like they were starting to get a little old.

PickinFungi likes this.

2. Chalupo

Chalupo Young Morel

Chicken of the woods in downtown harrisburg on wooden statue!

3. DanCB

DanCB Morel Enthusiast

Beagle, those look perfect for pickling.

4. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Fantastic!

PickinFungi and (deleted member) like this.
  5. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Those are some fantastic looking Chickens! Please say you harvested & ate some!.....(BTW, great photos!)

beagleboy and PickinFungi like this.
  6. Chalupo

Chalupo Young Morel

I let them stay for others to see. I already had some in my fridge from the weekend

beagleboy and PickinFungi like this.
  7. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Yes, I harvested about 2# of it and will make a few meals with it. There are other mushrooms that I prefer but the way this year is going I have to take what I can get.

8. beagleboy

DanCB, I never tried that is it complicated to do. I have made jerky with some that was pretty good.

9. beagleboy

Chalupo, I wonder how long that statue will last. The chickens seem to break down dead wood in a few years.

10. DanCB

DanCB Morel Enthusiast

Beagle, I do water bath pickling and consider it easy. I pickled some chickens last weekend, chants this summer and hens last fall. here's a link foragerchef.com/pickled-baby-chicken-of-the-woods

11. shroomsearcher

I had the same thought. Michael Kuo wrote in his book, 100 Edible Mushrooms, "once you see Chickens on a tree, the chickens have, indeed, 'come home to roost'!

12. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

Found some honey mushrooms, chickens, and a few oysters last Saturday. No hens , trumpets, or chants . Been super dry in my area.

13. steelernation

Will it ever rain again??? People need to stop with the idea that most days in Pittsburgh are cloudy and/or rainy, because I can't remember the last day it was cloudy. I think we got a 2-minute sunny spritz of rain 9 days ago...

SquirrelKing likes this.
  14. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

15. steelernation

I just checked a minute ago...20 days with a couple of different 'trace' rainfalls, and I do mean 'trace'. All of our rain for the month fell on the 1st, with 3.38" at Pgh Intl. Not many mushrooms to be found THERE!

SquirrelKing likes this.
  16. shroomsearcher

We got close to 2" here in NE Ohio about a week ago. Went out about 3-4 days after to see if prompted another flush of chants. Nothing doing there, but I did find a big, dead snag that was beginning to pop some that looked like oysters. Too small to do anything with, so I'm going to try to get back there tomorrow and see if anything has developed.

SquirrelKing likes this.
  17. DanCB

DanCB Morel Enthusiast

I picked three small hens today. I would normally have let them grow but their tips were starting to dry and there's no rain in sight.

SquirrelKing likes this.
  18. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Went for a walk to look for hens today. To Dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

SquirrelKing likes this.
  19. shroomsearcher

Well, went back and checked that snag and again, nothing doing! They were all shriveled up and gone. On to the hen spot tomorrow. We'll see what develops.