2019 FALL MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm surprised they did as good as they did with that temperature. Going out Saturday and hopefully find some good stuff!

PickinFungi likes this.
  2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Again, rain forecast but little delivered! Mid-afternoon the wind switched around to the NW and the air got cooler and drier. I'm glad of that, but we need some rain!

PickinFungi likes this.

3. blueshroom

blueshroom Young Morel

Shaggy mane in the parking lot at work 20191003_072509.jpg

4. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Fall mushroom report from team 008. Looks like the weather is turning for the better! Have not had boots on the ground yet, but have been doing drive by style hunting. Saw some honey mushrooms yesterday and not much of other fungal life, but we local should start seeing some life. Looks like next weekend should be good, with some rain thru the week. Happy Hunting!

SquirrelKing and PickinFungi like this.
  5. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

Rain? What the heck is rain? :)

PickinFungi likes this.
  6. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

The cool weather with recent rain has made my wine caps go crazy! This might be a great weekend to be in the woods!
    7099.jpeg

7. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

Me and the Mrs. are heading out in the morning,

PickinFungi likes this.
  8. shroomsearcher

I went and checked every hen spot I know of, and a few new places that I knew had oaks. Absolutely zilch, zero, nada! And nothing else growing either. It's been 2 years since I've seen a shaggy mane! Used to pop up everywhere in yards around here. Have seen honeys. One house had a yard full of them about 3 weeks ago.

But, we're finally getting some seasonal weather, and maybe that will trigger something. There's rain in the forecast for Sunday and Monday, so I'm hoping. We didn't get squat out of this last cold front.

9. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

Anybody do any good today around SW PA? I was going to go out, but I had to change it to tomorrow.

PickinFungi likes this.
  10. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

I’m not in SW PA . I’m in eastern PA and it was a bust yesterday. We checked a bunch of trees we took hens from last year and nothing but a handful of little button head stumpies. The ground is still very dry here . It’s moist for about 2 inches and then it turns to dust lol.

PickinFungi likes this.
  11. PickinFungi

No hens today. It's just too dry. Hopefully the up and coming rain will help. I did find a super fresh chicken though. Normally I would little go a little longer but will not be out in that area for quite some time. You can see that someone grabbed the first flush probably a few weeks ago KIMG2412.JPG KIMG2413.JPG KIMG2415.JPG

12. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

That's awesome.... I'm hopefully heading out soon. Now, what do you consider a "flush"? Is that essentially a "bloom"

SquirrelKing likes this.
  13. PickinFungi

I consider a flush a picking/ harvesting period or period of fruiting. The first period of chicken picking time is far gone. I have a tendency not to use bloom because the mushroom is fruiting not flowering.

Now quit waisting time and go out and find some nice mushrooms! LOL

SquirrelKing likes this.
  14. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

This weekend should have been a phenomenal boost to growth with such a soaking rain and cool temps. Excited for next week.

15. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

IMG_20191006_141326737.jpg would this be a flush? Haha IMG_20191006_141232787.jpg

16. shroomsearcher

Don't know where you live, but we got rain today. Our forecast called for a 60% chance, so when it rained, I figured that probability rose to 100%. But, we got another gentle sprinkle that lasted about an hour. Nothing substantial! And another little spritz that lasted about 15-20 minutes in the afternoon. I don't think it will do much good, but I'll still go out and look.

OH YEAH!!!!!

Osroc76 likes this.
  17. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Harrisburg area. We had an almost all day on/off soaking rain today. Several hour long burts of rain the last several days as well.

Osroc76 likes this.
  18. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Connoisseur

Here's a take from up in Morris today. IMG954256.jpg

19. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

This year has been so frustrating with mushroom growth. This summer was just plain terrible and so far, fall isnt much better. Only found a small cluster of honeys and so far no hens. I checked well over 100 big oaks today and nada. I thought for sure with all the rain we got Monday things would be popping.

PickinFungi and Osroc76 like this.
  20. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

Where abouts are you located?