2019 FALL MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Sep 10, 2019.

1. SquiddlyBimps

SquiddlyBimps Young Morel

Same today for me too, located in Luzerne county. Just a few honeys but absolutely nothing else, it seems dry already from the rain over the weekend.

2. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Perry County

3. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

IMG_20191010_165733695_HDR.jpg IMG_20191010_171121460_HDR.jpg Another walk with no results on hens. But I did find this, which I believe is a shaggy mane. I don't know enough to tell for sure though so I took it to check out and try to do a spore print

4. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

Same here . Checked probly 200 oaks and nada.

5. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

There were other shrooms in the area, and the ground seemed moist still, just no hens! I wonder if another flush may come shortly? Supposed to get about 1/2" on Saturday

6. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Lawrence and Butler counties were nearly bone-dry, too...

7. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

No hens in schuykill co this week .

8. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Don't fill too bad people, I'm in southern Mi. and were having the same kind of year for hens. I found a number of them around the tenth of Sept. but only a couple fresh ones in the last month. Were getting the cool weather and some rain now but the old reliable trees still not producing. It was also a bad summer for boletes, chants, and others. I'm not even finding any oysters yet which are usually easily found around here. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Good luck out there!

9. ajack

ajack Morel Enthusiast

We got blessed with a monster morel season. Now a slow fall season. I guess it all evens out.

1 person likes this.
  10. SquirrelKing

1838B530-A3EB-48A0-A734-77DDBA9754B3.jpeg My wife an granddaughter visited a local park today and brought me a gift lol.

11. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

12. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

13. steelernation

We hit the Laurel Highlands from top to bottom and found 10-12 oz. of useable chickens...that's it! Maybe a few ounces of other mushrooms, and we hit all the places, spent time in the car and on the hoof. And they had over 2.5" of rain on Monday. The woods were parched in many places still.

So...3 1/3" of rain on Sept. 1 in WPA and a quick .3" with hail and 60mph winds on Sept. 28th, plus 1.5-2.5" of rain on Oct. 7 equals no mushroom season in WPA. Prove me wrong, but 88 F temps in October and plenty of 80+ days in September and all the dryness is not to be remedied even by an all-day shower.

14. SquirrelKing

LOL , they are rare this year. It’s only our second one this fall . This time last year I was sick of them lol.

15. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

I'm out right now, and still haven't found even 1 dead hen. Starting to think the season happened already

1 person likes this.
  16. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

don't give up yet! I just found a baby one on a reliable tree today. I'm in s. Mi. and this is the first fresh one that I've seen in a few weeks.

Osroc76 likes this.
  17. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

Yeah but what has the weather been like there?

18. steelernation

Osroc, are those white oaks? The bark looks more like it. I've found 95%+ of my hens on red oak, as have others I know around Pittsburgh. Maybe that is making the difference? Maybe it is just a regional preference on our part?

SquirrelKing likes this.
  19. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I have probably checked over 100 large oaks and oak stumps in the last week and only found one dried up hen. I think I have checked every tree that I found them at last year. One good thing is my brother found one that probably weighed 10lbs and he gave me some of it, so I have a few meals. Those 2 I found in sept. didn't last very long. Well we had rain all day here in central Pa so I am planning to look Friday and with early black powder season coming in on Sat I will be looking for hens and deer. lol

Kokomorel, SquirrelKing and Osroc76 like this.