Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
61091C2E-D2CB-4594-AA0C-094483C8894F.jpeg
74D165D6-5908-478F-AD95-7F85C0F47DC6.jpeg
0ADD8A9E-E668-4B65-A570-C2389E715142.jpeg
Looks fantastic Trahn! I bought some processing equipment but have yet to use it other than the meat lugs for butchering and brining. This was my first time smoking a whole hind deer leg. I was astounded as to how the shank turned out. I thought it would be tough due to all the facia and connective tissue but it came out beautiful. I can’t get over the colors that developed during the process. The shanks of animals are so under rated, IMO. I caught my cousin throwing them in the garbage off of a big buck! Needless to say I tore him a new one. He just wasn’t taught properly I guess, but for sure will not make that mistake again. I’m all ears if anyone has advise for me on recipes or brands of seasonings for different types of sausages / snack sticks etc. or tips on casing types & diameters. I wonder if ground up black trumpets would be good in a sausage?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sausage looks good, Trahn! I wish I had a smoker, or room for one, but if I did, it'd probably be running continuously.

Here are my efforts from one day in mid-October. (from left, clockwise) Chicken Herb, traditional Bratwurst, Andouille and Chorizo. Good times!

Next time: the homemade liqueurs!
IMG_4121.JPG

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Steeler.. My smoker has been running hard for about the last 3 months. Will be doing one last batch of cheese and that will be it until spring. Love making sausage, looking to set up a sausage making party with friends and family next year. This Subject may need it's own thread!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Heading back to the car after flintlock hunting yesterday, I found either a bears head tooth or a lions mane( I am pretty sure it was lions mane) on an oak tree. It was really brown and starting to fall apart. Last week we had a day that was 10 degrees in the morning an that is probably what finished it. I still haven't found one to try.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts