2019 Illinois morels finds and questions

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by Tool fan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

Let’s have a great year and help each other

2. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

3. Robert Bone

Robert Bone Young Morel

Hi brand new to finding Morels - this year, at the young age of 59 - and disabled - will be my very first. Is there any site that shows the current ground temperatures for Northern Illinois? Also, are there permits/licenses needed to look for them - (strictly for personal use)?

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  4. Tool fan

Not aware of any permits needed and I just google ground temps

Robert Bone likes this.
  5. Already Gone

No permits or licenses, but it would behoove you to call ahead to the site management office of any public ground you intend to hunt.

You can get ground temp maps on various ag sites, but warm-up on bare ground and warm-up in the woods can differ greatly. A cheap ground thermometer will help. When you find your first morels, look around your yard for any tree that is just blooming. Next year should coincide.

6. Already Gone

Here are a couple morsels from the IDNR wesite:

IDNR Site Safety Reminder: Mushroom collectors and other visitors to Illinois state parks, fish and wildlife areas, and other IDNR-managed sites with spring turkey hunting programs in April and May are reminded that hunting areas are closed to activities other than spring wild turkey hunting from one-half hour before sunrise until 1 p.m. daily during the spring turkey season. The turkey hunting area restrictions are in place for the safety of site visitors and hunters.

Mushroom Collecting: No license is required for mushroom collecting in Illinois, but mushroom collectors always need landowner permission and, on public sites, must adhere to approved collecting regulations and hours. Collection of mushrooms is allowed in many IDNR state parks, fish and wildlife, and other recreation areas, but it is prohibited in any area designated as a dedicated nature preserve. Areas under the jurisdiction of the IDNR that offer spring turkey hunting are not open to mushroom collecting until after 1 p.m. daily to ensure the safety of all site visitors. Mushroom hunters are urged to call ahead to the state site they intend to visit to learn of any site-specific regulations regarding mushroom collecting.

Toastyjakes, MushBug and Tool fan like this.
  7. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

What Gone said! There can be weird little variations in regs from one place to the other. Here in Ohio, between Cleveland and Akron lies the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area. Lots of folks think that it's a national park, it is not! It's even mislabeled on some maps. Folks went in there 'shroom hunting when it first opened and got busted hard! You're allowed to hunt 'shrooms in most national parks, but not national recreation areas. Don't ask me why!

Locally, I can gather in city parks and have two spots that regularly produce pinkies and hens for me. In the county metroparks that a big no no! But I know it goes on! I have one heck of a ramp patch in one of them!

1 person likes this.
  8. Plantlady440

Plantlady440 Young Morel

Does anyone know (and want to share) any botanical pairings/companions they have noticed in any of Il? I am new to the area and would also love to meet like minded people. :)

9. Tool fan

I have had luck around Osage orange shrubs or trees or bushes whatever they are

10. Already Gone

Bois d'arc? Does it drop monkey balls(hedge apples)?
    Nice firewood. It has the highest BTU rating of any wood in these parts.
    If you are cutting more than a little, take a file.

Toastyjakes likes this.
  11. Tool fan

There like bushes and there branches are like strange almost like t shaped nothing growing on them but leaves

12. Already Gone

Osage orange grows to be well over 25 feet with a trunk upwards of 30" in diameter. It's bushy, but not a bush. They used to plant it along farm borders as natural fencing.

13. Tool fan

Then it something else because they are like bushes and probably 9 ft is the biggest I think I’ve seen

14. gbmillerman

gbmillerman Morel Connoisseur

Honeysuckle possibly, I’ve had some luck under them.

15. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Yes. Does it get slender, upturned yellow and white flowers on it? Osage orange is one of the hardest woods you can find! About the only thing that comes close is locust. It also burns really hot.

Back in the day, a neighbor would always bring my Grandma a box of the "oranges". The lore was that if you put one in the corner of every room in your house, they would keep the bugs out that were trying to get in at the end of Summer. I don't know if it worked, but I do know she never had bugs!

1 person likes this.
  16. Tool fan

813DB891-5FED-49EA-9F11-D3F77AA8B3EE.jpeg 22BB3FDD-FF66-413D-8F98-9926997CB1F2.jpeg I was way off lol I’m a dork this is what i was calling Osage

17. Tool fan

Funny story that goes with this pick The book me and a mushroom hunting buddy went out on a hunt and came across this tree and I have had some luck around these tress before so I said let’s stop and look and right under it was one lonely morel so of course we start to look harder and happen to look in the tree and there was a book it was a prayer book like out in the middle of the woods I don’t know how or where it came from but it gave me the willies about thirty yards farther we found this so you tell me what to think

HawkeyeMerkels and Toastyjakes like this.
  18. Tool fan

19. Tool fan

The description I gave earlier was the wrong plant

20. Toastyjakes

Toastyjakes Morel Enthusiast

Heading down to Mason county to check my early spots this weekend if the water hasn't flooded it out... I'd rather walk bottom ground but if need be I'll head to the hills ..

Just got back from a vacation in Georgia and of course I had to go searching while I was down there... Found a nice couple meals worth but it was tougher than expected haha

I am more than ready for the Illinois season...glad to find them just walking outside and not having to walk 4miles down a creek bed looking lol
    IMG_20190327_121155328.jpg IMG_20190327_123332672.jpg IMG_20190327_121351579.jpg