2019 Illinois morels finds and questions

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by Tool fan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

Several inches in the last week, warming temps, and most of my work is done in advance. I wonder where i will end up after the woods does a little drip-drying. Better early than late.

Tool fan likes this.

2. casstraxx

casstraxx Young Morel

Is it a good time to go out if its been raining? Or should I wait until it drys up a bit?

3. casstraxx

casstraxx Young Morel

I used to hunt out at my grandparents land and had many many spots. They have since passed away and their land sold. The people who own it now do not like our family going out there. So I've been looking for new spots for the past 4 years and havent found a damn thing.

My parents recently bought some land 2 years ago and I looked all season last year for morels but didnt find anything. Is it possible that an area that has never produced morels before would start producing?

Trying to decide if its worth my time looking out there again or if I should move on to public lands. Any tips would be appreciated. I miss finding morels!

1 person likes this.
  4. Already Gone

Abso-freakin-lutely. Key on fresh-dead elms.

casstraxx and (deleted member) like this.
  5. milwaukee hunter

milwaukee hunter Morel Enthusiast

I agree, if those were on public land you could water them and watch them grow for the next week or so but on Public land it's the first come first serve or you get stumps and lots of tears.

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. milwaukee hunter

milwaukee hunter Morel Enthusiast

Nice Pictures,
    I love to see the pictures of morels in the wild. Helps everyone see how they grow in different environments.

7. Kbart

Kbart Morel Connoisseur

I like to go out after a good rain. Or better yet, while it's raining. People don't like to get wet or put in the hard work so less people in the woods if it's raining. They all like to wait until the rain stops ;)

casstraxx likes this.
  8. Already Gone

Still early.
    Nothing but big Dryad's saddles and falsies.
    It shan't be long, kids.

1 person likes this.
  9. Leo Knight

Leo Knight Morel Connoisseur

Those polysqamosus (?) shrooms that grow on elm and maple in spring can be good if picked tender (they just break apart) and you scrape the brown scaly top off the buttons.
    I once found one nearly two feet across!

10. Leo Knight

Leo Knight Morel Connoisseur

My favorite spring mushroom has got to be those tiny reddish clumps that strattle elm snags, dead trunks, what do they call them now? they're slimy capped wonders, how incredibly sweet if you find a fresh batch, they love wet cold weather here and save the day if morels are scarce. Oh, called flamilina velutipes, more or less. Anyone try 'em?

11. Cls_74

Cls_74 Morel Connoisseur

Never hurts to go out while raining if you can stand it yourself. Don't force yourself out if you'll be miserable though.

The rain isn't going to have mushrooms growing as you pick them, but it does help matt down the leaf litter and bend taller ground growth.

I went out in a light steady rain one time and what would normally have been a normal leaf layer was pushed down and little mounds were showing. Found about 15 greys that would have otherwise went unnoticed.

Rain also helps wash ticks to the ground and if you wear smooth rubber boots helps keep them from climbing onto you.

Leo Knight likes this.
  12. reggie6567

reggie6567 Morel Enthusiast

I’m wondering if anyone is finding any morels in the Chicago area yet? Lots of rain, I’m thinking when the warm up comes this weekend, should be perfect conditions.

13. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

14. MRFCookCounty

MRFCookCounty Morel Enthusiast

Tool fan, Did you find those around Chicago?

15. Already Gone

I can reply for him. Nope.
    That last snow retarded all progress in the woods. My indicator tree was looking days away from full blooms 10 days ago. Since the snow, the blooms have halted progress. The warm up this weekend will get them happy.
    I had planned on an all-day trek Friday, but after what i saw(or didn't see) in the woods yesterday, i am going to work Friday so i can take Monday off.

16. Already Gone

Cook spans a lot of area from north to south. Where?

17. poodleinhandbag

poodleinhandbag Morel Enthusiast

Attached Files:

18. Already Gone

Just a hint for those who don't like gritty morels:
    Use a freaking knife, would ya?

Inthewild likes this.
  19. Teach42

Teach42 Young Morel

This is going to be my first year hunting, and decided to go out during lunchtime. Tons of standing water, and the ground was incredibly squishy all around. Glad to hear that it wasn't just me, and that there should be some good hunting ahead!