2019 Kentucky Morels

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 5, 2019.

1. mjmarch2

mjmarch2 Young Morel

Found this one in Grant County yesterday. Hoping that cold weather last night doesn't mess them up. Morel 4-15-2019.jpg

2. Kbart

Kbart Morel Enthusiast

Banned you from the woods? is it private property?

3. Dry land fish

Dry land fish Morel Enthusiast

Found a mess this evening. Creek banks se ky

Attached Files:

Pongo805 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Checked on a couple of other black patches today that have produced a few earlier this season. Only found 1 more black. Think that season is over here. Moved on to a small creek bottom and found 4 big yellows and 1 small one. Surprised that I’m not finding the smaller yellows and greys that I usually find.

1 person likes this.
  5. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Could be all done in that particular spot so to speak, ya know for to say due to conditions, perhaps venture to new areas with diff slopes/direction for the time being now.
    Good luck & don’t give up.

1 person likes this.
  6. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Sharp eye spotting that one, awesome specimen & great photo.
    THX’z

7. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

Found a few yellows and greys this morning in northern oldham county.

Attached Files:

8. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

All were found on the top of ridges facing east.

9. rheaday

rheaday Morel Enthusiast

Found 15 yellows in Oldham county this morning.

Pongo805 likes this.
  10. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

AE4E214E-3A5A-4994-B0EC-2E22C6516C2A.jpeg Went back to the patch where we found 18 blacks Sunday and found 6 more plus 2 yellows/greys. Also picked 2 more greys at my house in Jefferson.

1 person likes this.
  11. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

Rick you usually do pretty well down there in Kentucky. What is your take on this season. I am about an hour North of L ville and found my first 3 last night. Not sure whats going on around here.

12. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

This season has been better than last year’s but it has still been well below the norm for me. The blacks are almost finished here in KY and it has been my 2nd or 3rd worst year in the past 10+. I’m still hopeful that the yellows and greys make up for it in the next few weeks. That being said, i am seeing a few reports of good yellow/grey finds but my patches in Hart have barely started??? The little grey/yellow patches usually produce big #’s there but we have only found a handful so far. As for the bigger varieties of big yellows and greys, I’m finding near normal #’s of those with most of them coming from the Louisville metro area.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  13. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

Rick have you looked at the OK bd. One boy 3500 roons and over 100lbs.

14. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Amazing! Heck, I haven't even had a dream like that kind of find! I'm happy when I find 15 under 1 tree!

15. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Just got done with a 3 hour hunt in Mammoth Cave National Park. Leaving empty handed again. Can't seem to find any anywhere I go. Same as last year. Wish I could find someone to go with that knows a patch. Would be fun to finally get some.

16. Goomba shroom!

Goomba shroom! Morel Enthusiast

Keep trying! All the wait and work going into searching is going to make the discovery of your first patch that much more epic!

17. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Keep looking. Good luck!

18. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

I'm no pro, only on 4th season, but a tip somebody gave me that REALLY helped was to speed up. Make it a goal to let the trees dictate your path through the woods instead of a trail. When i get to a promising tree I make fairly quick circles around it, usually doing one big circle further away from the base, followed by a smaller circle in the opposite direction within 10 ft of the base. If nothing, I immediately look back up and venture to the next good looking tree, making sure to stay focused on getting to said tree and not looking at the ground all the way there. If it is early season I may spend a bit more time combing the area, but for the most part if I don't see one right away i'm out. Many times, I will walk 100-200 ft to get to a target tree, the entire time reminding myself to stay on the shortest path to the tree and not stare at the ground. It is WAY to easy to get off track out there, between the animals, cool scenery, other mushrooms and so on. Stay focused and moving.

One other thing i've found important that kind of ties into the previous tip is to not get caught up searching trees that in some regions may produce morels, but aren't necessarily the main producing species in the area you're in. Out of all the cedars, poplars, silver maples, black cherries, sycamores i've looked under, I only have a handful to show for my efforts. Telling me its just not worth the time when i'm finding by elm, ash, and cottonwood much more frequently.

Hope this helps and be sure to post a pic of your first big find! Good luck!

19. Dry land fish

Dry land fish Morel Enthusiast

Had the place you found them been flooded out earlier this year? All the flats and banks on the rockcastle iv been this year have been flooded and sand is about all that's left on the ground

20. Pongo805

Pongo805 Morel Enthusiast

I was above the area that flooded about 50 yards or so on a flat that paralleled the river