2019 Kentucky Morels

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by nutsak, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Goomba shroom!

Goomba shroom! Morel Enthusiast

Found several large yellows past their prime yesterday in Bath Co. Looks like I am done for the season. Looking forward to chantrelles and chicken season. I wish you all the best. Happy hunting!

2. myfinds712

myfinds712 Morel Enthusiast

Found 46 Thursday morning, one yesterday, and 16 today in oldham county. 20 of the 46 were those I’d left to grow and the rest were bonus! Some were on the smaller size so I’m hoping we have another week yet here. Good luck to everyone still hunting.

1 person likes this.

3. shroomwhisperer

shroomwhisperer Morel Enthusiast

Its coming to a close. I left half of these 4 days to grow and they didn't. I left about 30 in the woods and 1/4 to 1/3 of these were past their prime for sure. If we get some good rain I'll check 2 spots for a final flush. Somewhere between 400-500 for the year. It's been a pretty good season. Also found 2 bottles over 100 years 20190427_131013.jpg old.

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  4. KYSeNG

KYSeNG Morel Enthusiast

Found 64 more today in greenup county. A few half free believe it or not and they weren’t rotten. Mostly small yellows though. Found a lot more that were too far gone. Is anyone finding any big yellows along creeks? Or Apple trees? And any tips for someone who’s never hunted creeks? I’m at around 550 for the season and they’ve all be high up north northeast facing slopes

1 person likes this.
  5. KYSeNG

KYSeNG Morel Enthusiast

Is any one having any luck hunting creeks?

6. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Morel Enthusiast

The season appears to be over for me in Jefferson Co. and today was my final attempt. The big yellows I've found last few days are mostly past their prime or rotting. Overall my numbers were down, not much different than last year.

KYSeNG likes this.
  7. shroomwhisperer

shroomwhisperer Morel Enthusiast

Does all this rain have anyone else itching to look again? My best day ever was 5/3, 6 years ago. It was a 22lb day!

2 people like this.
  8. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Going tomorrow morning. I found fresh yellows 2 weeks ago but the rain went away and they got brittle fast. Going back out to look for some big greys that may have popped after all this late rain.

9. J81henson

J81henson Young Morel

Hey just joined the forum and new to the morel search. Will tomorrow morning be good for hickory chickens in western ky?

10. J81henson

J81henson Young Morel

My family owns a good portion of hilly wooded land with a lake and two creeks. Im interested in searching it for morels, ginger, and pawpaw. Any information is appreciated .

11. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I think you are probably too late for the morels in western KY. Check back in with us in early March next year and you’ll get some helpful tips from folks on this site.