2019 McCloud Mushroom Festival in CA

Discussion in 'Delaware' started by jdaniels313, Mar 7, 2019.

1. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. MorelMichael

MorelMichael Morel Enthusiast

This will be my 3rd year coming up to the festival :) Super fun and love camping around Shasta. Have you checked out the 2018 Redding fire? I went about 10 days ago and got nothing. I'm new to burns... seemed like that fire burned really hot, which leaves the ground bare, not ideal for morels... How about that other fire you mentioned near Pollard Flat...? I am in Sonoma Co so its a trek to go anywhere, trying to get some info from people that are more local. :)

3. jdaniels313

MorelMichael.... Don't show anyone, (lol) but here's a map showing the 3 major fires in No. Calif. Make sure to check the info on my post and also go to:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/stnf/maps-pubs if you need some maps of the area. For topographical maps go to: https://www.usgs.gov/core-science-systems/ngp/tnm-delivery/topographic-maps . Maybe this will help a little; I heard rumor that they were finding morels at @ 3000 ft. elevation in the burn areas 3 days ago. Good Luck and Happy Shroomin'... 2018 Wildfire Areas for 2019 Morel season.jpg

MorelMichael and HawkeyeMerkels like this.
  4. jdaniels313

3 Fire Covergence 2018.jpg MorelMichael... Here is the best updated map I have.( PS....if you attend the festival this year we'll have to meet in person.)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. MorelMichael

Hey jdaniels313, Thanks for the maps!!! I just went up to the Paradise fire today and found 40 nice ones at 2600ft. Found them in the first 30 min then nothing over the next four hours :( It's interesting how random it is where they grow sometimes. I have a couple spots in Shasta area for naturals but would love to find a bigger batch in a burn someday. Would love to meet up at the festival. I'll keep you posted.

6. MorelMichael

7. MorelMichael

Oh, and have you had much luck in the Delta and Hurtz fire? Thinking about making a trip up there on Thursday.