2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

It’s time to do this again

1 person likes this.
  2. Follysbetterhalf

Follysbetterhalf Young Morel

Nee to maryland hunting! What am i looking for that says the morels are popping.

2 people like this.

3. Follysbetterhalf

Follysbetterhalf Young Morel

Nee to maryland hunting! What am i looking for that says the morels are popping.

1 person likes this.
  4. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Connoisseur

Up here in Ct.....my biggest indicator is the lilac bloom. Not foolproof mind you. Mother Nature does what she wants but when I see any lilacs blooming. I am in the woods! Good luck. I'm sure people here will let you know when it's time.

5. Bigfoot-n-Morels

Bigfoot-n-Morels Young Morel

.. first of all the daily/nightly temperatures (and more importantly the soil temps) but when that’s finally there check on the foilage where you’re pickin.. definitely dandelions are a great indicator of when the first shrooms will start popping, but for us in PA, when you see the dogwoods start blooming with white flowers start searching!! They’ll be few and far between because it’ll be early, but it’s the perfect time to scout n to get to know ur area n find what trees they grow around..

1 person likes this.
  6. Bigfoot-n-Morels

Bigfoot-n-Morels Young Morel

In “our” area up here look for old rail beds, creek bottoms, n sycamores (along with the other staple tree’s to look for) n you’ll find that the shrooms should be near... another good tree to look for in this region is a blue beech (or musclewood).. it’s a smaller tree that usually doesn’t get much taller that 20ft, but it’s been my experience that when I find them I find morels..

silky and (deleted member) like this.
  7. redfred

I had to go back and check,I think you are on the eastern shore and just moved there end of April last year.. I think you got some good advice already I would add redbuds blooming to the list too. I’m guessing you have hunted morels before just not here and have found a few spots to check by now and it’s more a timing issue but feel free to ask any questions. I think you will find people on here helpful. I do..

1 person likes this.
  8. silky

silky Morel Enthusiast

hello friends :) new to the site and new to morel hunting in general! i really have only found chanterelles and many sorts of edible corals in my area (Montgomery county MD)

without giving up any spots of your own, any advice on this part of MD?

1 person likes this.
  9. redfred

Welcome silky, if you found chanterelles then you are a shroom hunter ...sorry you’re cursed...Morels like to hide more but they are around .. Stay away from the oaks you may have found those chants around and look for poplar, sycamore,ash,and elm trees if you can find them. The poplar and sycamore will be easier to find and will produce... I hate to say this but I would be careful where you hunt, you live in a place were the parks change jurisdiction real fast from fed.to state to county to city.. know the rules or be real discreet... wink ..... I’m sure you will get more and better advice here but keep us posted we all want to learn...

10. patapsco mike

patapsco mike Morel Enthusiast

If I was you I'd join the Mycological Association of Washington DC. They do morel hunting trips with members in MoCo and nearby every spring. Lots of good people there, and some true experts.

11. patapsco mike

patapsco mike Morel Enthusiast

For me, for yellow morels, I want to see dogwoods blooming and lilacs just starting to show some color. Black morels are a few weeks earlier, before the dogwoods are even blooming. Some years they would be up already right now. This year everything is likely to be late.

12. silky

silky Morel Enthusiast

That is great advice !! Thank you!

Im very excited for this years morel season to start, i’ve been annoying my friends for months with my anticipation to find some :D I’m watching for the lilac/dogwood bloom like a hawk.

1 person likes this.
  13. redfred

FYI was out today scouting some new spots and took some ground temperatures just to see. The highest was 51 the average was 47.5 . It’s getting closer everyday. Good luck to all.....

silky likes this.
  14. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Hey All,

Happy New Year, Hope everyone had a nice winter. We’re gettin closer everyday with temps like we had today. I went out this afternoon and found some new habitat with a variety of trees – dead and splitting elms, ash, poplar, and sycamore. Not much in the way of indicator signs outside of a few very young trilliums. Forgot the thermometer but will be checking soil temps periodically. 53 degrees is what I’ve always heard, anyone concur? Hope to start seeing (and posting) some pics up here soon!

Have Fun & Get some!

MH

15. gerbilrancher

gerbilrancher Morel Enthusiast

what are our chances for sprouts this weekend, after tomorrow's rain? feeling like it's finally warm enough

16. redfred

It might be early but someone will find the first one and it could be you . Check your early spots...I checked a new spot yesterday the average ground temperature was 49.5...I think 54-55 should have them starting...good luck... Come on fokes check in how have you been?

silky and HawkeyeMerkels like this.
  17. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

New year hopefully it will be a good one for everyone. Been out walking a couple spots. Seems to be getting close. Never know when they may start popping just have to get out and walk. Good luck to all this season!

18. redfred

Happy to hear from you ....You have my vote for the person that post the first find here... Yep just trying to start trouble... good luck to all

silky likes this.
  19. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Well doesn't matter to me who finds the first one. Just hope to see them popping up here soon. I'm getting hungry lol

20. Green Stone

Green Stone Morel Enthusiast

Out this morning, found 3 false morels. Ground temps 45-49 in the morning near creek, in frederick county, so temps seem right. Going back out this afternoon.