2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Shroomie Chaser

Shroomie Chaser Morel Enthusiast

Spent most of today checking my best spots, but only found one good, and a couple rotten. This has been one of the worst seasons ever for me, and I did put in the miles. Hoping for next year. Good luck to the late searchers!

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Man sorry to hear that. Never fun having a bad year. Best of luck to you next season. Hopefully you find twice as many to make up for it! Went to a normally high yielding late spot of my buddies yesterday. Handful of nice ones rotted up. And we found maybe 25 smaller ones. Some of those were saturated and on the decline as well. The 4 1/2" of rain may have really put a hurting on that spot. Just the way it works sometimes can't beat good ol Mother Nature. Probably hit it one more time before calling it quits for the season. Good luck to all still searching as well

3. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I check 3 late spots in the past 2 days ..I found 6 all well past time. You may find some in some cool places but I think I may be done.. Shroomie Chaser, Kbshroom and others there are other mushrooms out there that can keep you in the woods till fall stick around awhile... I know myself, Fowlkiller and some others will be... good luck all.

4. Trey Ridley

Trey Ridley Young Morel

I think this is it for the year, found these during lunch break at work. What are the odds! Only one was edible, the rest were fishy! Good luck, see ya next year!

Attached Files:

silky, Fowlkiller, Kbshroom and 3 others like this.
  5. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Sweet lunch break bonus! Seeing all those pine needles in your pics, just wondering the type of area you were in? Were there hardwoods mixed in as well? Think I’ve seen a few folks on here who’ve found them under pines and have read it’s a trait indicative of morel habitat further west, especially west of the Rockies though it is something I have never targeted here in MD. Rather the opposite as I make it a point to avoid those areas. Your photos are piquing my interest and making me question my strategy!!

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  6. silky

silky Morel Enthusiast

i still didn’t manage to find a single one. oh well! I had a great time outside searching and did find this beautiful chicken to make up for it. Looking forward to the upcoming bolete and chant season (:) Good luck to us all for the next morel season!

Attached Files:

7. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Nice find! Your cat looks pretty happy about it to

silky and (deleted member) like this.
  8. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Same to you Silky and good luck this summer. I was going over this Spring season trying to figure was it good or bad. For me it was better then the last 2 for sure at least I found more. It seemed to start out great and the weather looked promising but it went fast. Some spots that had produced in the past did nothing this year. The warm spots produce and the cool spots seemed to be right there with them. Screwed up my timing and did not get a chance to check some new spots I wanted to. Just another year in the mystery of the morel. Good luck all....

silky likes this.