2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. StoobyTurlock

StoobyTurlock Morel Enthusiast

went out today near Ellicott city. Big poplar forest. hoped to find some blacks. nothing. fiddleheads just poppin up. figured the rain might pop em up

1 person likes this.
  2. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

WTF was I thinking when I was making my Avatar, I should have named myself: Clueless!

1 person likes this.

3. gerbilrancher

gerbilrancher Morel Enthusiast

Conditions are good, will be checking in low Fred Co today but not hopeful since no one found signs yesterday!

1 person likes this.
  4. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Been checking spots regularly. Everything seems to be up except the mushrooms. Just keep looking hopefully they will eventually cooperate.

1 person likes this.
  5. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

It is amazing how loud the little things can be. I think it's only the males that sound off but I guess that info is way to late...

6. Kbshroom

Went out checked 2 early spots for black ones. Ended up finding a few I believe were false morels. I have never found any. Here's a couple pics
    IMG_1964.JPG IMG_1969.JPG

1 person likes this.
  7. Kbshroom

FINALLY ON THE BOARD!!!!!! Managed to find 8 black ones. I left one tiny one behind. Also found a half free which is the bottom left pic. Not a bad stroll today.
    IMG_1965.JPG IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG IMG_1970.JPG

8. redfred

They look false to me stem should be white and they get soft and mushy fast..

9. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

1 person likes this.
  10. redfred

Is it more fun to find your first false or the real deal... I think I know the answer... Congratulations you just won 50,000 bonus points for the first post.. Spend them wisely... good luck...

1 person likes this.
  11. Kbshroom

I was excited to find both. But my stomach will be happier with the real deal lol

12. gerbilrancher

Could you share which county?

1 person likes this.
  13. Kbshroom

Frederick County

1 person likes this.
  14. spanky72

spanky72 Morel Enthusiast

Can you now share what road:)

pollackeee and (deleted member) like this.
  15. gerbilrancher

In Baltimore County today, big poplar forest with mixed beech and walnut, nothing yet. Skunk cabbage was fully grown. Lots of ground cover already in one of the spots. My only worry is that I was too late and was beat to the chase!

1 person likes this.
  16. Kbshroom

Get right back to you on that..... lol

1 person likes this.
  17. Kbshroom

That's always a possibility. Just gotta stay positive they will show up. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  18. redfred

You are not to late ....I was in Baltimore co. today and nothing but a false....I seem to remember your in Fred. Co. If you want to find early blacks you are better off in Fred. Co. Think PH look for limestone or more alkaline soil.... I guess you got your trees down that helps... The skunk cabbage helps for moisture but it comes no matter what . Look for fiddle heads and mayapple as a better ground temp. Indicator.. Yes check all ground cover to see what is warming up first. If you are seeing it then you are feeling it ... I know you will find morels ... I still think it helps to look at every picture of a morel you can to burn that image into your brain so no matter how they try and hide you will see them. Good luck to you and all........

Kbshroom and gerbilrancher like this.
  19. gerbilrancher

So helpful. I was definitely seeing lots and lots of mayapples but no fiddleheads. As I live in Frederick Co but go to school in Baltimore, the soil is definitely different. I did notice that. It's a little more chunky. I'm still very hopeful!

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  20. redfred

Well I’m in the middle in Carroll... It’s still early and I have never found a black morel near me .. So in your travels Fred.co. for the early blacks and every county in between for the others.. No one sitting on the sofa at home ever found any.... good luck

Kbshroom likes this.